How do you know that you have depression?

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by Hurted, Feb 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hurted

Hurted Well-Known Member

Ive been feeling sad for 2 months now...
    I start to cut, i think about suicide often...

Do i have depression?
    How can i know it?

2. theleastofthese

theleastofthese SF Friend Staff Alumni

the first "sticky" in this forum is the Burns depression checklist. Try doing that. It could give you some insight into how depressed you are, or aren't.

3. Hurted

Hurted Well-Known Member

thanks for help...

it show me that i have severe depression...
    So does that mean that i am actually not in bad mood, but that i have dissorder?:sad:
    How long does depression least? Im 16 YO... Im sorry but i dont know nothing about it...

4. Hurted

Hurted Well-Known Member

Im shure that i have depression since december 2007.
    But i was start to thinking... did i ever have it before or did i have it all the time, just that i didnt know?

Before October 2006 i was happy all the time... But then its started... I was cutting myself (just once) and i wanted to die because of being in love... It least all October... then it stop in early december but happen again in late december and least to january... Next crise happen in summer 07... i lose hope for everything and i was really sad for 1 month again... During that "crises" there were really a lot of 7-14 days eras, when i wanted to stop existing...
    So now im thinking... Do i have depression since October 2006, but a mild one which has now become severe? I know that depression isnt if you are very sad for 7 - 14 days, but what if it happens very often, at least once every month? Or was that just a time, when depression that i have now was start to occurred? Im sorry, but im only 16 YO and i dont know lot about depression...

5. Feared.Desire

Feared.Desire Well-Known Member

Depression can come and go in sessions, thats normal. As far as im concerned the only person that can really properly diagnose you with depression, is you. From the sounds of it, you are currently in a depressed state, but I'm nobody to judge.
    I hope you just grow out of it, and pass through it. :)

6. Hurted

Hurted Well-Known Member

But i am afraid that i have manic depression...:sad:
    I will soon talk with schrink...

7. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

i know have have depression when the only thing on my mind 24/7 is suicide

8. Feared.Desire

Feared.Desire Well-Known Member

Manic depression? Is that the same as bipolar disorder? And you said you have been feeling depressed for two months ... Bipolar swings you from, (as how my friend explained,) thinking you can do anything, to being severly depressed, does it not? (I may be mistaken, I don't know much about Bipolar...)

9. ggg456

ggg456 Guest

I'd recommend seeing a counsellor as well as a doctor. Do you have a school counsellor?

10. Hurted

Hurted Well-Known Member

well yeah... but i think that i have bipolar disorder for 2 years, just that i didnt know... about depression... i think i have it 2 before, however it was for less than 1 month and it wasnt so horrible as it is now. I have it 2 months, i cut, i cant learn for school, i dont feel like doing anything... Is it possible that you have depression for only 1 month without being bipolar? I mean as far as i know depression is long-term disorder...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.