How do you know what psychologist is for you?

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by Fox in the Woods, Mar 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fox in the Woods

Fox in the Woods Active Member

I was just wondering whether anyone had any ideas as to how to kind of know what kind of psychologist you would be suited to. I went to one and she didn't seem to help...if anything the problems seemed to get worse because I didn't feel I could tell her anything because she would always treat me like my problems were insignificant. I know I need professional help but just the thought of opening up to a complete stranger seems so hard after bad experiences.

She said she was using cognitive behaviour therapy...and from my understanding it's about changing the way you think about things to be more positive. She was more like: "Oh what? You've been abused? Tough gig". Not exactly uplifting. And yes: I know psychologists can't help you with every little detail and most of the work has to come from yourself but a psych on board to help me get through this might be helpful.

So are there any other therapy treatments out there other than cognitive behavioural therapy?

Thanks

2. TheOncomingStorm

TheOncomingStorm Well-Known Member

If you feel comfortable with the therapist and it seems like things are working out for you, and beginning to get better then i guess thats when you truly know that your psychologist is suited to you.
    Your's definitely didn't sound like the right one for you, and dont worry everyone finds it hard to open up to a complete stranger, but just remember that they are there to help you and eventually you'll hopefully build more trust between the two of you.

Your right with your understanding about CBT, and it certainly doesn't sound like your psych was the most useful when it came to doing CBT with you.

Yes, there are other therapy treatments out there such as Psychoanalytic Therapy or even Group Therapy.

Is there anyway that you could do CBT With another psychologist?

Take care.

3. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

Find a psychologist that is experianced in what you need some specialize in PTSD some in grieving some in anger find one that you need to help you with your problem My psychologist deals with trauma and has been working a long time now. If you feel comfortable with that person then that is the right one. take care.

4. pinkpetals33

pinkpetals33 Well-Known Member

Personally I think it is trial and error. I can understand the first visit being a little sketchy but after 2-3 if you don't feel right.....be direct, honest and run when you know "hunch" wise that this person is jut not good business.

They types of therapy vary and here is a link to some general info
    http://www.strisik.com/therapy/howtochoose.htm

Personally, I think ther personality of the clinician is going to be the most important variable in helping you walking down that path.....doesn't hurt to interview them. I think alot of times, they feel less pressure if they know where you are coming from. But then again, most of them are nut jobz themselves.

5. Bambi

Bambi Well-Known Member

For what it is worth CBT is the best mode I know of..I have been in and out of therapy for 30 years and of the modes it was the most helpful for my moods/emotions.

I also tell others to try the therapist at least 2-3 times till making an final judgment about them..the whole situation is awkward so that gives a few sessions to really evaluate the person and the relationship

6. IV2010

IV2010 Well-Known Member

as the others have said it's about feeling comfortable with the therapist and also to feel like they are helping....
    CBT has helped me but I have to remember to put it into practice......
    keep trying till you find a therapist you know you like......

7. plates

plates Well-Known Member

I agree with this. CBT is pathetic BS for what you're going through.

I personally know what kinda therapy suits me through years of searching, connecting and knowing what therapy suits me. Right now I'm searching again and I'm making it clear to people about the extent of my dissociation and they need to know this.

I just remember the woman at a charity place back in 06 and knew there were people working well outside the CBT/psychotherapy models that NHS providers think is the One and Only way to practice. She was a psychotherapist but very humanistic..and we just clicked so well together. I go by a very gut instinct and it usually works, (then again, different therapists are good with different parts of me, the therapist I need now has to be very skilled as I'm coming out and am becoming more and more complex/interesting :wink: rather than zombied) if I'm not severely depressed and dissociating cos of the pain accompanied by that.

CBT is pop MH psychology. It can be good for very very surface things, but that's about it. What she said to you sounds like an insult and I'd have got so angry to hear that. I'm sorry she said such an insensitive thing about your past. :hug:

There's psychotherapy out there, but different therapists approach this in a different way. The last two therapists I saw were psychosynthesists? and best suited me/I clicked with them and they seemed to have some kinda social awareness at first. Both worked differently though.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 3, 2010
  8. Stranger1

Stranger1 Forum Buddy & Antiquities Friend

I've never seen a psycologist.. I went thru three therapists before I found Gina..She is very good at what she does.. She always puts a smile on my face before I leave..I've been with her for five years..She uses cognitive therapy on me but she listens when I talk..Try just seeing a therapist, you may have to go thru a couple before you find one you can bond with..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.