how do you know when to check into a hospital?

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by Doogan1890, Mar 19, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Doogan1890

Doogan1890 Member

I am curious as to what point you should actually check in and I am not quite sure. I have found myself in the hopsital parking lot sitting outside for hours after a crazy manic/depressive state deciding whether or not I should go in. I ususally give myself a panic attack and drive home. As soon as I get home I wonder why I didn't have the ourage to go in. Mostly I think about what others will thing or I think that it isn't the right time in my life because I have a job and responsibilities. I don't want anyone at work to know what is happeneing for sure. I have been having some suicidal thoughts recently and have been very depressed after a two week long manic episode. Today is day three of not getting out of bed and calling into work. I know that I have to go back tomorrow but I am dreading it. I have also been having some real self harm impulses again, it has been at least 3 weeks since I last self harmed. I am jsut wondering, how long do I wait? Before it gets to bad? I am struggling
  2. ChestnutMay

ChestnutMay Antiquities Friend

This is a question I've asked myself, too - in fact, am asking myself right now. I can tell you what mental health professionals always have asked me in making the determination about admittance. They ask if I want to harm myself or anyone else. The answers to these questions also might determine insurance coverage. You have had suicidal thoughts and have self-harmed in the past - using self-harm as a criteria they would probably tell you to go to the ER.

However, I do not think these are the only factors worth considering when it comes to hospitalization. If your pain is so great that you can not function, then it is time to seriously consider hospitalization. Not being able to get out of bed and go to work is a pretty glaring indicator that you need help right away.

It sounds like you might be bi-polar and that if you are on meds, that they are not very effective. Are you getting any medical help at all? It's definitely time for an evaluation, if not.

You might be able to handle this on an outpatient basis, if you can get the right medical care right away. I can understand why you are so reluctant to go in the hospital as it does mean you have to take time off from work (but you aren't going anyway, so...) and you mention responsibilities you have. Plus hospitalization can be a real crap shoot. I've been in situations that really helped and others that were not much more than warehousing. Do some research about the different hospitals in your area, if you can. Local hotlines can be good sources of information.

I'm so sorry to hear you are in so much pain and hope you can find some relief soon.
  3. DrownedFishOnFire

DrownedFishOnFire Quieta non movere

Are you able to function at your job?

Are you able to keep yourself safe and not harm yourself or others?

Do you have a Therapist to do emergency session with?
  4. Doogan1890

Doogan1890 Member

No I can't function at my job...
    I can not say that I won't harm myself but I can say that I definitely won't harm anyone else
    I am not sure my therapist does emergency sessions or not? I have emailed back and forth and sometimes she sends an email back saying that if I need to I should go to the ER but she never says anythingabout scheduling an emergency session. Is that a usual expectation of a therapist?
  5. ChestnutMay

I don't know about most therapists but mine used to fit me in if he could. Sometimes it just wasn't possible but he would always return phone calls and talk to me - he left time open during his day for phone support. This was a few years back and i haven't been in therapy since so I don't know what the usual expectations are now, but I think it would always be possible to ask your therapist if she can see you sooner than your next scheduled appointment. Does your therapist also handle meds?
  6. Doogan1890

Doogan1890 Member

no my therapist doesn't handle meds...but has been on me to try and get an appointment to get on meds. My biggest concern with that, I don't trust myself to have prescribed meds around. I might in a manic fit take them all or I might get really drunk and when that happens I tend to get very suicidal. I have almost succeeded twice because I was very intoxicated and thought that it would be a good idea to take the entire bottle of pills.
  7. ChestnutMay

Hmmm. That's a dilemma alright. You could probably get the doctor just to write for a few pills at a time, although going to the pharmacy every few days would be a real PITA. It's possible you wouldn't need to worry about taking too many while in a manic state, since if the pills were working, you wouldn't be in that manic state in the first place. Unfortunately it takes awhile for these things to kick in, even if you do get the right med first time, which isn't always the case - having small prescriptions might be the answer until you were more stable. It wouldn't have to be forever.

The alcohol situation is a little more problematical. Again, you could limit the number of pills you had around at any one time but the alcohol itself might be making the depression component worse and you're not supposed to drink at all while taking psychotropic meds. This might be a good time to quit drinking, though that introduces its own set of woes. It really sounds like you need to talk about this with an MD.

I'm sure you're not the only person on this forum who is reluctant to take meds to even out mood swings - it would be really interesting to know some of the tricks people use to cope. I have mixed feelings about meds myself so can really appreciate why you have second thoughts about this and it's great you know yourself well enough to know how you might handle them.
  8. Travsmate

Travsmate Member

Hi Doogan1890,

I don't think anyone is in the right frame of mind to make a decision based on a timeline circumstance within this nature.

My best bet is to start or keep regular checkups with the Doctor and change GP's if need be until you find one you can trust and you get a gut feeling for.

Confide in THAT one person that you think the world of and can tell them everything; You need one of those just in case you have a super terrible moment outside of Doctors hours and then I believe you just have to trust their advice.

Their is also plenty of 24 hour hotlines to seek advice and for them to listen.

I wish nothing but solace and happiness in your life for the future.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.