how do you know

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by plates, May 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. plates

plates Well-Known Member

how do you know if you've recovered from an eating disorder?

does anyone feel like you've had this for so long, that it's always under the surface but it changes it's shape? i feel like it doesn't have as strong hold on me, BUT, i think if my weight went too high and i was unhappy, i might be at risk of falling again.

i found it has no use for me even when i've been depressed which is a huge change (i can't believe it has happened)- but then again, i wonder if my weight went up a lot, how i would react. i'm about 4 lbs heavier, which is a lot for me, than i used to and i've responded to that really interestingly- in that, i enjoyed feeling softer etc and i haven't been getting panic attacks about clothes. i look at food as something that nourishes me and i don't obssess about it..

i haven't ever been on a 'recovery programme' or anything, i just found, my eating disorder doesn't help and i'm trying to figure out how i've managed to get to this stage. i'd never expect it to happen to me and i didn't force myself to 'get better' or anything- could it be that something deep within me, has healed?
    Last edited by a moderator: May 22, 2009
  2. plates

plates Well-Known Member

ok i just realised what i wrote there and i can't believe it.

:biggrin: it's like something unimaginable has happened.
  3. shades

shades Staff Alumni

I don't know you very well, but it would seem, just from what you've said, that there's been a major breakthrough for you. If you've been in therapy or on meds. for it, maybe that helped. Otherwise, you may have destroyed what I've read about eating disorders in general.

And that is that they are most likely to be "cured" through a combination of therapy and meds.

Regardless, this is a success story and I'm glad you shared it. Maybe your subconscious worked it out for you without even knowing about it.

Congrats! :smile:
  4. plates

plates Well-Known Member

i'm not on medication. it's just my therapist and myself, my eating disorder helped me cope and numb myself- and recently i've found that my eating disorder has no use to me anymore.

thank you!! :hug:
  5. Remedy

Remedy Chat & Forum Buddy

It's great to hear you got through it! Very inspiring, shows it can be done which is hard to believe in the mist of it all. Nice to have some positivity here. :)
  6. plates

plates Well-Known Member

thank you. i didn't urge myself to get better, i just needed a complete change in every single area of my life since i got out of hospital in 07 and my eating disorder was obviously an important part of my life that stopped me from killing myself. it's always been there since i was 11, and even before, issues with food+people, is very interlinked.

7. The_Discarded

The_Discarded Staff Alumni

:hug: you're very strong
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.