How do you let go?

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by Avarice, Feb 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Avarice

Avarice Well-Known Member

I'm having a bit of a problem. I want to let go of some of the bitterness and resentment I have inside myself for some of the things certain people have done to me. I want to let it all go and just move on and start afresh with these people and let bygones be bygones, basically. I don't want to be reminded of everything everytime the smallest thing pops into my head. It's sending me insane and I just want to close the chapter and move on.

So how do I it? I've thought about maybe getting a balloon, writing "PAST" on it, and letting it go and fly off in the wind, signifying my letting go of the things I can no longer change, but I don't want to do this alone because I'm afraid of looking like an idiot to everyone else; I don't really have any friends and my family would just think I'm mental or ask questions. Are there any other ways anyone knows of that might help me get over this?
  2. Jeff481

Jeff481 Member

In all honesty, I don't think we ever truly let go. We just suppress it and try to keep our eyes on the future. As for the balloon idea, give it a try, who cares what your family thinks. If you care what they think, do it in secret. The way I've always dealt with this issue is to think of things that i enjoy doing or bits of poetry that give me hope. Kind of childish, I know but it works out fairly well for me.
  3. me,I

me,I Guest

How about writing them up and save the book? You do not have to remember those anymore because they are in the book. You can let them out of your head but if you need you can look anytime how it was if you need. Some day I write my own shit out and let my head breath fresh air.
  4. Flames

Flames Member

I think it can be difficult to let go of feelings and thoughts that keep surfacing which have impacted us. Have you ever tried go to therapy? Sometimes talking about things can help resolve the conflicts.
  5. Avarice

Avarice Well-Known Member

Thank you for the helpful replies! I haven't been to therapy and don't have access to a therapist that wouldn't mean me forking out money I don't have. I'm sure it'd probably do me some good, but then all I ever do is talk about it all with my ex-boyfriend and it doesn't do us any good. The book idea is interesting, I'll have to try that too if all else fails me. Thank you. :smile:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.