Practical Advice How do you make exercise exciting?

johnDoen

Outsider in the Realm of Lost and Found
I used to jog for about an hour a day almost everyday. It was before all these suicidal thoughts I always have inside my head.
I know exercising is beneficial but it has become somehow harder to get into. It feels like doing chores, something I do because it's necessary or a must, not an exciting activity.
Do you know how do you make exercise exciting?

Do you know how do you make exercise exciting?
Imho, if you want to exercise regularly, the secret isn't necessarily primarily making your workout exciting, it's making sure your workout isn't something that you want to avoid.

It could be that you are pushing yourself too hard, and your body is wisely sending you the message to slow down. A problem comes when you get stuck between either doing too much, or too little.

From the perspective of traditional Chinese medicine, winter is a time when you should generally exercise less (you don't note what hemisphere your in, but for most folks on SF, it's almost officially winter). A half hour of walking, at a pace sufficient to just barely break the slightest amount of sweat, or even just below that, is sufficient.

johnDoen

Imho, if you want to exercise regularly, the secret isn't necessarily primarily making your workout exciting, it's making sure your workout isn't something that you want to avoid.

It could be that you are pushing yourself too hard, and your body is wisely sending you the message to slow down. A problem comes when you get stuck between either doing too much, or too little.

From the perspective of traditional Chinese medicine, winter is a time when you should generally exercise less (you don't note what hemisphere your in, but for most folks on SF, it's almost officially winter). A half hour of walking, at a pace sufficient to just barely break the slightest amount of sweat, or even just below that, is sufficient.
Then, how do I stop avoiding workout? I think I'm doing too little exercise.
I live in a tropical country so winter is something quite different from yours. The temperature has never been lower than 20oC (68oF). A half hour of walking is pretty much what I do everyday at work.

@johnDoen , I think if you do a half hour of walking every day, you may not need much more exercise than that.
Then, how do I stop avoiding workout?
What's compelling you to work out more than that? I'm not sure I understand.
I live in a tropical country so winter is something quite different from yours
From the perspective of traditional Chinese medicine, it's still a good idea to get more rest in the winter time, even if your winters are are very mild.

A_J_R

I agree, it's about finding something you enjoy. And walking is exercising. Then you can listen to music, podcasts, books. And sunlight is super important.

I find it's almost impossible to get me to do something I don't want to, even if I know it's beneficial.

I did get some advice from an old therapist that has helps me when I'm just not in the mood. She told me that no matter what, I should get dressed to workout, and do 5 minutes of whatever exercise I've chosen to do. I don't have to do more than that if I don't want, but the act of getting ready to workout and starting can do wonders. Usually once you get going, you can keep going.

johnDoen

@johnDoen , I think if you do a half hour of walking every day, you may not need much more exercise than that.

What's compelling you to work out more than that? I'm not sure I understand.
I guess it's because of peer pressure from almost anything and anyone around me. People talk about exercising and its benefits a lot, like they think it's the solution to almost every health problems, similar to consuming organic foods and diet programs.
From the perspective of traditional Chinese medicine, it's still a good idea to get more rest in the winter time, even if your winters are are very mild.
I should have said that there is no winter in my country. It's either dry season (less rain, very hot and dry) and rain season (lots of rains and very humid). Thanks to climate change, it's getting harder to tell which one is now.
You seem to mention traditional Chinese medicines a lot. Are you studying it?

I should have said that there is no winter in my country
I'd have to get into trying to explain five phase theory for it to make any sense, but even if it's as warm as spring or summer in some countries, the "rules" of winter at least partially apply from the perspective of Chinese medicine.
You seem to mention traditional Chinese medicines a lot
Yeah, I do quite a bit
Are you studying it?
There's just a few things I've picked up here and there and a couple books I've read.

BarryW

SF Supporter
To me, exercise is usually boring or at best neutral when done alone. I have had more fun in group exercise. Big surprise from my avatar, I like tennis about 800x as much as jogging around the block. Do you have any interest in team/group sports?
Otherwise, if you can find an exercise buddy it can make it more enjoyable to have someone to talk to while exercising, even if you don't like the exercise itself.
Granted, right now it is trickier to be safe doing the group exercise.

KM76710

Kangaroo Manager
SF Pro
SF Supporter
I use a exercise bike the most and after that a rower and vertical climber. I have a PC with LOUD speakers and a 32" screen and downloaded TV and movies. Works better to peddle on the bike while watching TV or movies, you can forget you are working out while watching a sitcom or sci fi movie. :)

johnDoen

The closest things I do that are comparable to exercising is walking and cleaning. I prefer to be on foot whenever it's possible, like when there is no need to be hurry.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$70.00
Goal
$255.00