How do you motivate yourself to do... anything?

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by Aurora Gory Alice, May 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aurora Gory Alice

Aurora Gory Alice Well-Known Member

For as long as I can remember my favourite words have been "hmm, nah I can't be bothered" or "I haven't slept, I'm just too tired".

I manage to talk myself out of everything. Jobs, college, dates, meeting up with friends, any plans I may have had for the day.

Getting out of bed in the mornings feels like I am trying to climb a mountain, it is the hardest thing in the world and even worse when I haven't slept.
    I always find it difficult to want to do anything other than crawl back in underneath my duvet and stay there for the entire day. I don't know why, I have just always been like this... right back as far as about age 9 or 10 I can remember not wanting to go to school and pretty much not wanting to go anywhere.

I don't know how people wake themselves up in the mornings to go to their job or to class. For me it's the hardest thing ever and if I manage it I'm usually shocked and surprised! Another reason why most of my jobs have only lasted a few months (eventually I'd just get too lazy to go in).

I know part of this is depression but surely it can't all be? And a lot of the people on here have depression but still manage to go to work, how come I can't?

2. Domo

Domo Well-Known Member

3. unwinged

unwinged Well-Known Member

i know exactly how that feels. i remember when my parents divorced and we moved for the first time. i lied to my mum i wasn't feeling well so i don't have to go to school. i was about 8. then at the age of 17, the first depression episode hit me. i just didn't get out of bed. i felt like i was doing something very wrong. i felt like i was killing myself. i didn't really know that it meant i will be going down from then on. i didn't know what it's going to be like to drop everything. i didn't like it and ended up being even more depressed. i think i might've got used to escape this way, i just hide inside my bed. i'm ill and that's my excuse. i've learnt now that i need holidays and that i need to learn skills to deal with stress...

4. shamps

shamps Well-Known Member

Money hun....plain and simple for me.Ok I am currently on a long sicknote AGAIN.But money is the only reason I can get up in the morning.Make no mistake that you are NOT on your own in how you are feeling..most people on here feel exactly like you do but the only reason they get as far as work sometimes is just the simple fact that money makes the world go around.If I had savings or I somehow became rich I would probably buy myself a little pad,stock up then lock up with myself inside.I cant think of anything I want more at the moment to be fair and have always liked that idea.I do get lonely sometimes dont get me wrong,everybody needs a hug from a real person from time to time but for the most part I just want to stay under my duvet too.Its the safest place in the world for me and feel like I cant be hurt there.

Are you medicated if you dont mind me asking?x

5. Aurora Gory Alice

Aurora Gory Alice Well-Known Member

I've just started taking meds again (been on them since last monday).

I guess you're right about the money, I suppose each time I have had a job before the money has never been a big enough drive, but things have changed now that I am older.

6. ozbound

ozbound Senior Member & Antiquities Friend

Same for me the morgage has to be paid I do try to go to the gym after work but some times it's a struggle. Weekends are worse for me as I don't leave the house or if I do it's rarely.

7. lachrymose27

lachrymose27 Well-Known Member

"How do you motivate yourself to do... anything?"

because if I don't, i'd only get worse. the idea of getting better is my motivation to do things even though I don't want to, like last night when i went to see two movies with a friend, i didn't want to go but forced myself to anyway.

8. plates

plates Well-Known Member

There is absolutely nothing wrong with not wanting to go out, wanting to sleep and not wanting to work.

If your body is telling you to sleep, then why not try it and not worry about others? Other things/people can come second, but your health comes first.

Do you get your self worth by feeling you have to work? So many people with MH problems might feel this way- and the reality is, there is a severity of what people with MH problems go through. Some people might be 'able to work' but they might not have the same MH problems as yourself or are barely functioning, or perhaps self medicating to get through it all.

It sounds like you need to rest, why not just try it? It sounds like bed is a comfort and safety for you and you're feeling vulnerable and low, and how you're feeling about not wanting to move from it, could be because you need that comfort and safety and rest. The thing with this is you have to remember to eat/wash. But I can go through a good few days just operating on a mainly sleep/eat/wash basis to feel better at the end of it all.

I used to feel a lot like yourself about not wanting to go to class, I just didn't- it was making me depressed, I started not attending, etc etc. And I realised why- it was not meant for me. Now I enjoy life a lot more (I'm not depressed) getting out of bed is not terrible (I have trouble staying in it now) but I need to sleep, otherwise I go manic/psychotic and I can't afford that anymore.

My ex used to make me feel guilty for feeling the way you do, which made me feel worse- more of a burden. Once I broke up with her, I found getting out of bed and enjoying life was so much more easier once my sleep schedule was mine and mine only. :D

Last edited by a moderator: May 13, 2010
  9. Warm Hands

Warm Hands Well-Known Member

I've had a serious lack of motivation these past few days. I've cancelled plans, not gone to practices and just wanted to sleep all day. I was able to go to work, but that was because I'd feel so incredibly guilty for not going in -- and like others have said, for the money.

10. gakky1

gakky1 Well-Known Member

You're not alone Alice, lot of us have that problem, it's been mine for a while and getting too severe now. Out on 'mental health' leave, zero motivation to get out of bed, try new things, work to make money, etc.:unsure: Believe me, gets worse if time goes on, I'm a prime example of it. Couple good responses though, think I may try a few, hope so do you, and good thread, I've been too timid to start one.:talk:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.