How do you perceive a female who's "the strong and silent" type?

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by 12years, Oct 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 12years

12years Well-Known Member

Word on the street is females are social, chatty, and generally can talk to anyone about anything. What if you meet a female who doesn't fit into these stereotypes? What if she's not necessarily shy, but simply doesn't enjoy idle chatter like some manly men (think Red Forman from That 70s Show, although I think a lot of middle-aged male characters on TV are portrayed like that) apparently don't, and doesn't really say anything unless it adds something to the conversation at hand? What reasons would you come up with to explain why she's the way she is?

2. worlds edge

worlds edge Well-Known Member

I doubt I'd think much of anything, honestly, given that men and women appear to use roughly the same number of words per day. (See here: The Last Word: Men Talk as Much as Women) Apparently there were some earlier studies that had women using about three times as many words per day on average as men, but these are now considered unreliable.

Bully for her, I guess.

If I thought about it at all, and I doubt I would, I'd probably note that the "stereotype" you referenced is simply incorrect. Some men don't speak much, some men speak a lot. Same for women.

3. Chargette

Chargette Well-Known Member

Some people are listeners.

4. jacknife

jacknife Guest

I'd guess genetic predisposition is the major influence here, and gender is not really significant.

Introverted personality types are naturally more selective about their discussions. When they do speak, they're usually more stimulated by their particular interest in a discussion topic than by the people involved in a discussion. They enjoy listening, observing, reflecting.. and prefer smaller, intimate social circles. Periods of solitude allow them to recover energy, and they tend to be more independent of others.

Socially expressive, outgoing types are more stimulated and motivated by the attention received from others than by the topics discussed. They speak up more than others, enjoy participating in larger groups, and are good entertainers in social situations. They're skilled at adapting their behavior to fit in with the people around them. They quickly become bored or lonely without the company of others.

But don't generalize about this too much--most people are of neither extreme, and fall somewhere closer to the middle of the spectrum. Some people exhibit traits of both types, and of course mood changes lead to fluctuation in social behavior as well.

5. 12years

12years Well-Known Member

The point is there are different expectations for males and females. Males are generally expected to repress emotions and keep their problems bottled up, while females are free to say whatever they want because "they're females--they're wired that way." Stereotypes aren't always correct--if they were they wouldn't be called stereotypes--but the fact remains that some things are more acceptable for males than they are for females, and vice versa.

I don't doubt you don't give a hoot why so-and-so acts the way they do, but if everyone were like you we'd live in a much peaceful world where gossip magazines don't sell well.

Yes, I agree. But that's not the point of this thread anyway. I posted this somewhere else and I've gotten answers like "a bitch" and "passive aggressive," which didn't even cross my mind but which makes sense. Now that's the kind of gut answer I'm looking for. There's no need to be thoughtful or politically correct.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 1, 2009
  6. jacknife

jacknife Guest

I like quiet women who give most the cold shoulder. Women who blather, gossip, and love the sound of their own voices annoy the hell out of me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.