How do you stay motivated?

Discussion in 'Rants, Musings and Ideas' started by Witty_Sarcasm, Jan 19, 2012.

1. Witty_Sarcasm

Witty_Sarcasm Writer, Musician, Fun Lover, Magic Maker

There's so much I want to accomplish, but I end up not following through on most of it. I've been working on a story for almost 2 years, and it's still not finished. It's never taken me so long to finish a story before. Usually the writer's block does not last this long. Actually I do have ideas for it, I'm just not sure how to go about writing them down. There's other projects I want to work on but it seems too overwhelming. I always make resolutions but don't follow through on them. I hate being stuck in a rut, so I'm trying to find ways to get out of it. I'm just wondering how everyone else finds motivation to get things done that they want to do.

2. Tmacster1

Tmacster1 Well-Known Member

I typically find support from others, but sometimes that doesn't always work... I get into ruts sometimes where I think there's no way out but really there is... I always try to set ease goals and expectations than work my way up to harder ones. I hope you continue to work on your story though I'd be anxious to read it :). Most writers that I know sometimes take long breaks to discover what they truly want to write about. Some, like J.K Rowling, can write pretty much an awesome series without much difficulty... But, I'm sure she had lots of sleepless nights wondering how she wanted to manipulate her story. I tend to stay motivate by watching others - and sometimes I get a motivation spike, and begin writing down stuff that I never thought I could do. I tend to ask for help most of the time which seems to help me stay motivated. Sometimes it just takes encouragement to complete something :hug:

Trevor,

3. Witty_Sarcasm

Yeah that sounds like a good idea. I can't set too many goals for myself at once or else i won't be able to follow through on them. I hope I can get the story finished. It doesn't help either with extra stress going on. Like people keep fighting and it's really bringing me down. It's just a big distraction to me. I just need to try and block everything else out and focus on my goal.

4. Tmacster1

That's a good first goal to set by ignoring others and focusing on your original goal. I believe you can do that because I think your capable of doing that :) It may take some time to completely ignore the distractions of our lives... I think the most motivational person I've met was my youth pastor. He's always been encouraging me to do good and stuff. Seems to have help me get this far because he listens to me.

Trevor,

5. Witty_Sarcasm

Hey that's good that you have someone who encourages you, I don't really have anyone like that in my real life. But I'm glad that I have people on here that support me, otherwise I think I would be totally lost.

6. Tmacster1

I'm glad that you find this site helpful like I do. I would still be lost if I didn't come here because 10 days ago I was a really rough mess. However this place has been keeping me sane and proactive in keeping me stable for the time being. Everyone on here is supportive with no :trolls: :)

Trevor,