How do you stop being complacent in life?

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by nicesinging1, Aug 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nicesinging1

nicesinging1 Well-Known Member

Being too complacent and content with my life has been one of the issues I have been dealing with in my life.
    One example in my life is sleep. I always tell myself, "Hank, you wrote a plan and promised to yourself that you will wake up at 6am starting this month. No excuses."
    Then I find myself waking up at 7am or later. I somehow come up with all these crazy excuses in the morning that I deserve to wake up late. When I make pledges and promises to myself, I want to keep it, not come up with all kinds of crazy excuses to go around it.
    I want to find serious and grueling ways to punish myself if I don't keep my promises. For instance, if I keep waking up at a later time than I promised for, I want to make myself run 10 laps on the track or no eating for 2 days or something.
    There is no worse and frustrating feeling than finding yourself keep evading personal promises and rationalizing it. I want to punish myself very heavily whenever I allow that to happen.
    Can anyone help me on how to become more strict and disciplined in life? What would be the good punishment method whenever I am too complacent and content in life?

Thanks in advance for any insights.

2. WildCherry

WildCherry Staff Member ADMIN

Is there a specific reason you're makign these personal pledges and promises to yourself? I mean, is there a reason you need to be up at 6 AM?

My suggestion would be to set goals that are more attainable; if you eventually want to get up at 6 AM every morning, start by getting up at 7 for a few days, and then bump the time back a few minutes, so that you do it gradually. That way it's not so hard on your system.

Punishing yourself by doing something like not eating for two days isn't going to accomplish anything except possibly making you sick.

3. AlexDanish

AlexDanish Account Closed

Well, sleep is a difficult thing. Trust me, I do the same thing. Set the alarm for 10:00, but when it beeps I turn it off and sleep until 11:00. You're tired and sleepy :laugh: you can't blame your half concious self for that.

What you can do, instead of punishing yourself unhealthily, punish yourself in good ways. When you wake up late, tell yourself to go to the gym. Not only might you re-inforce positive behaviours that way, but you'll get healthy and fit. Plus, the endorphins released during exercise will make you feel better, and you might feel more tired. So you can get to bed earlier, and perhaps get better sleep and wake up on time! Sleeping before midnight is very healthy, or so I heard.

Or, instead of punishing yourself by not eating, punish yourself by not allowing yourself to eat unhealthy foods. Foods high in sugar, saturated fats, etc. Even if you're on the go and you go to McDonalds, just order a salad and a chocolate milk!

Or, you know, if you have spending money that every month and so you go to the mall or wherever and buy new clothes, or a new DVD or something, punish yourself by donating to a good cause, and trust me, there are good causes EVERYWHERE. Donate to the animal shelter, or to cancer research, or give a pledge to some kid who's doing some sort of run or 32 hour famine.

It's not really gruelling punishment, but on the bright side. You might get tired of working out, eating healthy, and giving away your spare change, and force yourself to get up early. And even if you get up early, you might still want to go to the gym, or donate, or eat healthy :D

4. Rose24

Rose24 Chat & Forum Buddy

That’s not complacency, you seem to be very self critical! Don’t set yourself crazy targets that aren’t realistic and then take it out on yourself when you fail – take small easy steps that will help improve your life.

5. TheBLA

TheBLA Well-Known Member

Hello NiceSinging1, long time no see, do you remember me? It may be a bit difficult since I have had several user-names in the past.

I also think you are being a bit too hard on yourself. Your current goal is to wake up at 6am, what time do you usually wake up, that you have been accustomed to? For instance if you normally wake up at 9am, it will be jarring for you to wake up at 6am all of a sudden. You should start off slow, and wean into waking up earlier.

You are definitely not complacent, I am one of the most complacent people around, it has caused my depression and keeps digging me deeper and deeper into depression, where for all of my life, I have been complacent in just staying at home and being a complete couch potato, wasting my life within the TV and videogames. And even then, my tastes in TV and video-games is not interesting and varied compared to others.

I came onto this forum exactly four years ago, August 2005, at the beginning of my 1st year of college and I should be graduating next Spring. And in this time, I have done almost nothing, not joined any clubs, been active at my university, etc. I have not even been active on this forum, hardly knowing anybody, making friends here,etc.

And then my depression keeps me within my bubble, and I continue to miss out on so many experiences and being extremely behind and underdeveloped compared to other 22 year olds. I do not want to talk too much about me, save it for another thread I suppose.

You are doing well, far better than I ever will in my pathetic life. It is good that you have a habit of waking up early and excersising, both things I desperately need to do. I think you are definitely improving your life for the better and I wish you continuous luck not only in making your body healthy, but for you to be happy as well!

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 22, 2009
  6. rojomi

rojomi Banned Member

Well, frankly complacency is not something I want. I believe that rules are
    meant to be broken; at least my rules are-by me.

7. plates

plates Well-Known Member

i am nothing but complacent trust me.

8. ashes_away

ashes_away Well-Known Member

unless getting up at 7 means you are late for work,you really should stop stressing yourself out over that particular priority.It isn't relevant to anything in your life except that you would lose an hours sleep which you need...people act like sleep is a luxury..if you are getting 7-8 hours of sleep a day-that isn't being lazy-that is what nature demands.I for one get 6 hours a day,and freak out if I get any more..because people think sleep is a luxury...and the guilt makes me feel worse..

so do yourself a favor regarding sleep..don't fight it unless its interfering with your job.The rest of your "discipline" concerns...are simply a matter of will power...unless you also think you should only eat 500 calories a day and should exercise for 3 hours a day..etc etc..Another words..discipline is good but within reason....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.