How do you stop the flashbacks??

Discussion in 'Help Me! I Need to Talk to Someone.' started by ScouseJM, Mar 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ScouseJM

ScouseJM Well-Known Member

As hard as I try I cannot stop the flashbacks haunting me..... :mellow::sad: They get so bad they make me throw up :(

2. dazzle11215

dazzle11215 Staff Alumni

i don't know that you can stop them, sorry.

but what i've found to be true, for me... certain things will trigger me. at first i didn't know what they were, but after a while i could identify them. so... when you are able... start writing for yourself what they might be. then, where possible, avoid the triggers.

the other thing i've experienced is that the more you heal, the less frequently you will have flashbacks. it's true. there will be a crisis time - like now, i'm guessing - where they seem to happen all the time, but that won't last forever.

hang in there,
    catherine

3. ScouseJM

ScouseJM Well-Known Member

thanks catherine x

4. ggg456

ggg456 Guest

The way I've been doing things is going around in circles, I'll repeat the memory, I'll reexperience things, I'll feel so awful, I'd get that awfulness out by either a lot of movement, (I find doing things physically helps me, movement etc) recently it's been just writing, and songs and just going through the trauma and writing things down over and over. It's a type of narrative thing, where you just go over it and over it and eventually it starts becoming less intrusive, you get less intrusive symptoms. And memories are funny things, they can be fragmented, there can be huge holes they can be all over the place and each memory can have a certain effect on you physically. It's usually the intrusive stuff I hate- like you say nausea and can be frightening. It takes time a lot of walking around in circles around and around until the walk doesn't hurt too much and you can breathe again freely and say there, it's happened. It happened in the past and it's not happening now, you can cope with it much better now it's Not happening now.

I wish you all the best. :hug:

Last edited: Mar 11, 2008
  5. SweetSurrender

SweetSurrender Well-Known Member

hey - are you talking about suicidal flashbacks? This is one of the reasons i came to this forum - if you look back at my first post. I agree with both dazzle and ggg, my flashbacks reduced with time (the old - time is a great healer) but also by writing about it in my diary and on here. You need to get those thoughts and feelings out of your head and this will take time and by writing, writing, writing (or however you feel is best to get these feelings out - you could paint or bang out a song too).

Take care,
    ss

6. gentlelady

gentlelady Staff Alumni

Flashbacks can be very difficult to deal with. There are various techniques that can be used to help deal with them. One is rescripting. Another is mindfulness, and a third is flashback boxes.i know there are many things out there to try, but these are some i have used. There is no one that I found that works for everything. Some I haven't been able to get stopped. learning what the triggers are is an important step. Feel free to PM me if you wish to discuss any of these things further. I will do my best to help if I can. :hug:

7. nedflanders

nedflanders Well-Known Member

8. gentlelady

gentlelady Staff Alumni

EMDR has worked for some people. It gets mixed reviews amongst professionals. Worth a try if you feel comfortable with it.

9. hammockmonkey

hammockmonkey Well-Known Member

don't self-diagnos, please?

go on with life. this memories have to be dealt with, confront the dreams the fears. only then can you move forward. that's my belief.

10. Sylar

Sylar Well-Known Member

you mean flashbacks of memories that pisses you off or makes you feel shame
    I have them too , actually we all have ours

well In the end I just figured out it's pointless to feel bad about'em now that I can't change the past , so everytime they get me I get pissed off and kinda throw them away , it's not that easy tho

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.