How do you stop the suicidal thoughts?

Discussion in 'Help Me! I Need to Talk to Someone.' started by cynthia4141, May 25, 2016.

1. cynthia4141

cynthia4141 Member

I have been fighting a depression for almost a year now. It doesn't seem to get better no matter what I do. I don't understand why I can't feel happy, I have a great life. At least those looking at my life from the outside think so. I feel so alone in this. Even now I'm thinking about ending it all, just need relief.
  2. Bart thomas

Bart thomas New Member

3. Bart thomas

Bart thomas New Member

Have you had therapy and / or meds? Been on both for 6 years, still have some ups and downs but right now I'm pretty good.
  4. Unknown_111

Unknown_111 Forum Buddy Staff Alumni SF Supporter

Are you medication, having therapy at the moment? You have to dig deep and try to survive depression everyday. It's hard but you deal with it on a hour by hour basis. Trust us you can survive.
  5. Discoveryman

Discoveryman Member

Hello Cynthia.
    I myself have just asked for help for the first time.
    I wish i had the answers but im still learning.
    I believe the people here and being able to talk are key because is has helped me.
    Like i said...i dont have the answers yet.
    But im willing to learn with you and ill be there if you need to talk.
    i have faith in you.
  6. sofie

sofie Banned Member

this is a question I have been running through my head for weeks now....I wish I knew the answer but all I can find in terms of an answer is that we have to just stop the thoughts -- just not let them continue and take hold. THAT is the rub. When a person is already so depressed that he/she considers death to be an option, to expect them to be able to pull themselves out of the dark hole that is suicidal thoughts feels like a huge burden and feels like no one can truly understand how hard it is to do.....I wish I could tell you it is easy or is not easy and I am not sure if for me that is it possible, thought others here have shown it is. All I can say is hold on as long as you can, stop the thoughts with distraction and other activities as much as you can, and share your pain with someone if you can. If you do not have a therapist and are not on medications, you might consider both -- they can be tools we use to get out of the hole of suicide--a ladder, a rope, a rescue from that place.
  7. Butterfly

Butterfly Resident SF Sims Enthusiast Staff Alumni SF Author SF Supporter

Hi Cynthia,

I have suffered with depression since I was about 13 and I am now 25. During that time I have been diagnosed with Bipolar Disorder and have had suicidal ideations on and off over the years, although I have had chronic suicidal ideation for about 18 months now. It got worse during a very deep and dark depression that I had last year and although my mood is stable, I still have these ideations although to a lesser extent. I find that the more I fight against having the thoughts, the worse they get and the more agitated I get in the mean time. So I just accept them. They are not nice thoughts, but I accept that I am having them and just tell myself they are thoughts and I try and put focus on the good things. It's not easy. It's actually very tiring but I found acceptance to be a great healer for me.
    MisterBGone likes this.
  8. cynthia4141

cynthia4141 Member

So, I have been reading a book recommended by my therapist, Get out of you mind and into your life, by Hayes. It also takes about accepting the thoughts I have and not fight them. My theory is this is dangerous. The idea of suicide never leaves my mind, no matter what I'm doing. Sometimes it becomes a bit scary and dangerous. If I allow these thoughts won't that put me more in danger of acting on it?
  9. sofie

sofie Banned Member

Hi Cynthia, If it is what I think, they are saying to accept that you have the thoughts and let them just be and go on. To not dwell on them but just accept them, maybe even acknowledge them like "oh, I am thinking about suicide right now" but then letting it go on, not letting it be a stumbling block.

It is really hard to do but is said to be helpful for those strong enough to do it. Best of luck to you.
  10. NinaZ

NinaZ Active Member

Me too. Trying to figure out how not to give in and it seems like one minute at a time. Just trying to find things to be happy about