How do you talk to people that have never been depressed?

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by NotMyNormalSN, Mar 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NotMyNormalSN

NotMyNormalSN Active Member

I've always found that language utterly fails to convey the anguish that I am expiriencing.
  2. gomi

gomi Active Member

There really isn't much to say to those who have never experienced depression. If one shares their story, typically the other person listening will respond with silence or just never speak to that person again....

Funny how people (these people are usually our "friends") treat those with depression.
  3. NotMyNormalSN

NotMyNormalSN Active Member

...and then wonder why we feel unloved
  4. gomi

gomi Active Member

Guess we learn to just not share these feelings with them (not like they want to hear it anyways), which is why I stop speaking to the select few friends that I used to have.
  5. Theone

Theone Well-Known Member

It's not always negative, recently my closest friends found out and they have been really nice and really supportive even after finding out because of my really really bad episode
  6. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

If you have any desire to speak to them again, you don't mention the depression.
  7. reptor

reptor Well-Known Member

i find it best to not talk to "friends" it pushes them away or they just get that deer in the headlights look and say nothing.

At least here we share a common ground of sorts.
  8. foreverYoung180

foreverYoung180 Well-Known Member

thats why i dont talk to my friends about. cause im afraid it will push them away. unless i get really desperate..i wont be talking to them about it. one of them knows all about it, but even so i wont talk to him unless it gets really bad.
  9. fromthatshow

fromthatshow Staff Alumni

That's the sad truth. If someone has never experienced depression, they won't understand it. I mean, my friends are sympathetic, but I can't talk about it with them. When you feel down for longer than a couple weeks, they just don't know what to say or do anymore.
  10. gakky1

gakky1 Well-Known Member

Good points, actually every post is good, I feel the same way, keep it to myself, where I work too many put down people with depression and the like,:( so I guess my friends aren't true friends, you're right about here being a common ground of sorts.:smile:
  11. reptor

reptor Well-Known Member

Got to spend the better part of the day with the person closest to me in my life. All they could really say is it will get better. I had to laugh to myself. If it wqas going to get better then wouldn't it have at some point over the last 36 years.

They actually don't believe I'm serious about what I'm going through and what I plan to do. It actually hurts and pain is the only thing I've felt in the last week.
  12. Things

Things Well-Known Member

There are people with out depression? I don't think I've met one. :p
  13. Stranger1

Stranger1 Forum Buddy & Antiquities Friend

Thats why I pushed my so called friends away twenty some years ago.. I have found isolating myself to be less painfull...I don't even talk to family about it..
  14. Mystic

Mystic Well-Known Member

This may sound a little 'flat', but its the absolute truth.

How do you talk to people that have never been depressed?

1. I don't.
    2. I don't know anyone who would be interested, being totally friendless.
  15. gomi

gomi Active Member

I have a (what I used to call) "good" friend who was with me when I experienced two deaths in my life. The first death he was there for me, being a good buddy, easy to talk to and we got along well; the second, he brushed it off, saying to me I could get through this experience no problem while he spent all his time with the gf.... Then he proceeded to tell me, "I don't know how to help you". At that point, I decided to just isolate away from these so called friends.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.