How do you tell people you're feeling suicidal and depressed?

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by One Great Name, Oct 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Honestly, only whoever's seen me on this website knows I'm suicidal and I mention depression infrequently. It may, in some ways, be nice to have more people know about my emotional problems, not wanting others to see me as a psychotic is primarily what stops me... How have others here opened themselves up to someone? What works better to keep them from questioning your sanity or wondering if they should stay away from you?

2. Acy

Acy Mama Bear - TLC, Common Sense Staff Member Safety & Support

Being suicidal doesn't necessarily mean you are "psychotic." It means that our brain chemistry is not working fully and we can't think of helpful, constructive options. Our feelings have overtaken our "thinking." Please, be careful NOT to act on those feelings. Feelings eventually settle down so we can think clearly again. :)

You've started just by talking here. In real life, talk to someone you trust. Your family...a pastor...favorite school teacher/guidance counsellor...family doctor...friend's parent that seems compassionate. Maybe call a teens' help line (if there is one) or a distress/crisis line. Especially call them if you are on the edge and afraid you will hurt yourself.

The words are different for everyone. You could print out some of your posts from SF and let the person read them. They'll likely ask questions after that, and it might be easier for you that way.

I'm so glad you're reaching out here. :) ((hug)) Please, when you can, give reaching out in real life a try. Again, you are not necessarily "psychotic" just because you have suicidal feelings/thoughts. I hope you can tell someone irl, and get some real life support, too.

Keep us posted. All the best! Be safe and stay strong!

3. Tear

Tear Active Member

I don't tell anyone about my depression and dark thoughts. Maybe some people notice that I am sadder than in the past or that I don;t get out of the house very often or I listen to sad music, but I don't think that someone really realizes how sad I am.

4. Thanks for the response. I'm hoping I can talk to my bishop soon, for reasons other than this, too, I feel better about not talking to my family first. Life is hard when no one around you (off the internet) knows what you're going through... I'm unsure of how long it will be before many people have heard about my problems... I hope it won't be too long.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.