how do you tell your family that you are suicidal?

Discussion in 'Help Me! I Need to Talk to Someone.' started by Pollo, Oct 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pollo

Pollo Well-Known Member

I have been thinking about sharing with my family my suicidal thoughts but I don't want them to panic. They know about my depression and about my therapy and treatment but don't have the slightest idea that I am suicidal since I live in another country. How could I tell them??
  2. Borrowed time*

Borrowed time* Well-Known Member

I would do it face to face and in private. Explain your feelings and that you are getting help.
    Probabaly not very good advice, im not very good at opening up.
    Telling my Mum didnt work for me, i hope your family are more understanding.
    Take care
  3. LillMy8989

LillMy8989 Well-Known Member

I don't even tells if I am feeling very down-there and always tries acting that I have a good blanc eye when they're around me, family means very much, specially my mum has my heart to the root.
    But I am going to do it ( yes, I am ), plans are most important for now and then, both for you and family.
  4. boo

boo Well-Known Member

I would be careful. Not saying you shouldn't do it, but be careful with the words you might speak. Depending on your parent's reaction they might get a court order to get you hospitalized against your will.
  5. may71

may71 Well-Known Member

I think that it may be difficult but important to tell your family. Especially if they are supportive.

I think you could simply call them and tell them "mom, dad, you know that I've been depressed, but it's getting really bad. I'm feeling suicidal and I need help."

They probably would panic a little, but can you imagine what it would be like for them if they knew that their child died? Many parents are not good and caring parents, but the fact that you have communicated with them in the past, and that you are thinking of telling them now suggests that they are good parents. For parents like that, to loose a child is THE MOST painful experience possible. You really have no idea how you would devastate their lives by killing yourself.

Yes, if you told them what is going on, they would probably panic at least a little, but panic is called for here. They would probably be very grateful that you told them! Really, if you are concerned about how your parents would feel, don't kill yourself. It's ok to tell them, and they may be able to help!
  6. confusedgirl

confusedgirl Well-Known Member

I totally agree with May71 about what you say to them, being honest is the best thing reassure them your speaking to your Dr about it etc they might get mad but give them time to think and talk to each other after all your heir child n they want vtge best for you always, good luck, maybe tell them when you've got a friend with you for support or even when you are seeing your doctor then maybe he/she could reassure them also? Good luck x
  7. Pollo

Pollo Well-Known Member

But living in another country, can't it be too much to tell them on the phone? I can't go home so far since it is 12 hours by plane so far! I am too worried that I can't manage my suicidal worries so far and that I will end by committing the act
  8. confusedgirl

confusedgirl Well-Known Member

When I felt suicidal the first time my parents found out and it was a huge weight from mre. I know its different for you as your so far away but to know they know and to be able to talk to someone who u know cares is always a huge relief. I'm sure your parents would prefer to know and be able to give u that little bit of support over the phone/email than not know at all, how did they take you being depressed? Stay strong and keep talking, let us help you thru ur hard time, hugs x
  9. may71

may71 Well-Known Member

I'm sure it would be stressful to hear that you are feeling suicidal. But that amount of stress would very, very small compared to the stress of having their child die. If you have good parents that really love you, you would destroy their lives by killing yourself.

If one of your parents has a heart condition or something, you might want to break the news to the other parent so it would be less of a shock.

But really, they say that for a good caring parent, the death of a child is absoultely the most stressful, emotionally painful thing that could happen to them. You could in turn put them at much higher risk of suicide.

I think if you tell them, I'm sure they will be worried, but if they are good caring parents, they will be so glad that you told them.

If you think that telling them that you are suicidal would be difficult for them to hear, imagine how it would be to learn that their child was dead? I think loosing a child for any reason would be stressful, but it would be especially bad to learn that their child had killed themselves. Even though it wouldn't be their fault, they would probably blame themselves.

Please let them know and let everyone else know who could help you. With help, I think that you will be able to get better.
  10. IV2010

IV2010 Well-Known Member

I lost my child to suicide and I died with him that day..
    Please tell your parents so they can be there for you...they would want to know ...having them know how you really are feeling will mean they are there for you to lean on...
    please take care and get more are so important to a lot of people.
  11. wilko

wilko Member

Ive never told my mum, she knows, ive heard her outside my bedroom when ive been crying n stuff, i think shes just waitin for me to tell her, im also waitin to tell her, but just how do you do it
  12. Darkness Inside

Darkness Inside Account Closed

i don't think ill tell them I don't know how I'm going to do it. If I do commit suicide their find my body and never understand why.
  13. No1_knows_me

No1_knows_me Active Member

I can't tell my parents. I just simply can't. My parents wouldn't understand and would just get whole lot more worried. Though I'm pretty sure they're suspecting something... However, if you think your parents would understand it, then tell them. Maybe try to hint that you're feeling suicidal instead of telling it the way it is? I think that might be a bit easier.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.