How does an ultra sensitive person survive in todays World?

Discussion in 'The Coffee House' started by sosotired, Jan 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sosotired

sosotired Well-Known Member

Especially when I am physically ugly and have been teased all my life. The obvious answer is to desensitize yourself but I have found this extremely hard to do, my body reacts in really bad ways to negativity.

This is why I am now lonely and more or less agoraphobic/house bound. :sad:
    I have shut myself off from this World.
    I live on the net, seriously. Its a pathetic way of living.
  2. Aeterna

Aeterna Account Closed

I think the best way for an ultra sensitive person to survive in today's world, is to intentionally make themselves uncomfortable. It's to intentionally get yourself hurt.

A good analogy is to think of it like public speaking. The first time I spoke in front of a public, I was shaking, stammering, and I couldn't get a word out. The second time I went, it was even worse. I vomited a few times before I went up to speak.

However, every time since then, public speaking has always gotten easier. It's the same when I started performing magic tricks, started karate, and it's the same when I started playing paintball.

The sooner you get out and do things, the easier it will become to do it again. You just need to keep putting yourself out of your comfort zone, even if it means starting really slowly. (Don't push yourself too hard though. It's okay, and good, to take breaks every once in a while.)
  3. sosotired

sosotired Well-Known Member

Hi Aeterna,
    Thanks for the reply, you're right exposure is the best cure. I developed an avoidant personality which was my downfall.
  4. Anime-Zodiac

Anime-Zodiac Well-Known Member

Exposure is one idea but do so at your own pace.
  5. Witty_Sarcasm

Witty_Sarcasm Writer, Musician, Fun Lover, Magic Maker

I don't know, it's hard because I get upset so easily...but there has to be some way to deal with the emotions.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.