How does suicide affect "less-close" relatives?

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by ryanglander, Apr 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ryanglander

ryanglander Well-Known Member

I just got most of the "equipment" I need to kill myself. I was just wondering about something though. I have a lot of younger cousins that I see like once every few months. How would the suicide of a 19 year old effect cousins that are about 10 years younger.

The reason I ask is because I saw a person close to these cousins die and they were sad at the funeral but because they are so young they don't seem very effected or traumatized, they don't seem to fully understand.

So what is it like from the perspective of a 10 year old whom rarely sees this cousin. Is it likely my family will "shield" the younger children from the truth and just say I was hit by a car or something?

I won't be here much longer. I really appreciate your answer to the question as it could reduce a lot of pain for others.
  2. jameslyons

jameslyons Well-Known Member

Ryan, you'll never numb the destruction of inter-family suicide. Suicide is suicide and it will affect your relations absolutely. They won't be hurt right away, but you'll be a signpost when anything bad happens to them in their life.

Every time life gets stressful, they'll say ," Well, there's always the way Ryan went out." No matter what. "You know my cousin killed himself," they'll say. And that's what it'll be.
  3. Angelo_91

Angelo_91 Well-Known Member

In my opinion, they will deal with it. Most 10 year olds are just selfish creatures anyways. I remember being one until my eyes were finally open to life. Fuck what they say... just my two cents.
  4. jameslyons

jameslyons Well-Known Member

Ryan if there's anything to compare....

Consider how fucked up I am. My family has tons of suicides in it.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.