How easy is it to get anti-depressents?

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by Frank Smith, Nov 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Frank Smith

Frank Smith Member

I need a little spring to my step because no matter how hard I try I just can't do anything productive. Is it just as easy as going to your GP and saying you feel down and getting something? And also, does it make much difference?
  2. Chargette

Chargette Well-Known Member

How long have you felt like this? Getting a diagnosis is the key to knowing if medication is needed.
  3. Scully

Scully Well-Known Member

For me I was in panics, so my generalist gave me a one month treatment, after talking at the consult.

But then on long term it's my psychiatrist who prescribes me the meds.

It's effective after several weeks, for antidepressants 4-6 weeks. For me it took about 4 months (but I'm not a good example as I have several disorders).

The better is to talk to your doctor about your problems.
  4. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

Hi frank,

I agree with what chargette has said, you need a diagnosis before meds are prescribed. Once I had a diagnosis anti-d's were thrown upon me.
    Going to your GP would be the first step, they will probably refer you to a psych to be assessed then they'll treat you accordingly. Good luck :)
  5. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

My GP prescribed me my meds for depression without consult he assessed me and ordered them.
  6. fromthatshow

fromthatshow Staff Alumni

Yes it's easy to get anti-depressants. Considering you're posting at a suicide forum, I'm guessing you've had serious enough depression that they would no doubt give you some.
  7. Mortal Moon

Mortal Moon Well-Known Member

My GP prescribed an antidepressant (Celexa) for me almost immediately after I told him I was sleeping poorly and having suicidal thoughts. No tests or anything; all it seems to take is to tell your doc that you're depressed.

As for getting that little spring in your step, the effects of prescription anti-depressants (if they work at all) are much more subtle than that. I've heard them described (by my dad, a registered nurse who also suffers from depression) as mood stabilizers- they make your lows not quite as low, and your highs not quite as high. The idea is to get you into a mental space where you can approach things with a clearer head, without being as prone to debilitating emotional extremes.
  8. xTheBlondex

xTheBlondex Well-Known Member

I first started going to the doctors about my 'depression' 4 years ago.. they pushed me from pillar to post before finally this year they prescribed me with Citalopram (celexa).. So in my experience it is pretty hard but I guess peoples circumstances are different.

My circumstances were I've always had 'depression' but people put it down to puberty ect.. so when my dad died they said it was because of that so I had to have a lot of councelling they've now finally realised I'm just depressed.
  9. toffeekitten

toffeekitten Well-Known Member

I have been seeing my doctor about my depression stuff for 2 years, and even though I have almost all the symptoms, they won't diagnose me.
  10. Aurora Gory Alice

Aurora Gory Alice Well-Known Member

It depends on your Doctor. Mine pretty much throws the things at people.
  11. toffeekitten

toffeekitten Well-Known Member

I want to move to London!!
  12. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

The first few antidepressants you'll try on your way to treating depression are completely safe. As such, doctors have no qualms about prescribing them. If those are ineffective there are addictive, dangerous drugs - they'll think twice about those. But the first antidepressant (most likely Zoloft) won't be difficult at all to get.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.