How fit are you?

Discussion in 'Therapy and Medication' started by Dreamer uk, Feb 24, 2008.

1. Dreamer uk

Dreamer uk Well-Known Member

lol I'm not very fit, but I'm trying to improve myself.

I just tried to do 'cindy', the crossfit workout which comprises of:

5 Pullups
    10 Pressups
    15 Squats

and repeat as many rounds as possible, preferably for 20 minutes.

I pathetically managed two quick rounds before collapsing on the settee in total exhaustion feeling in need of an ambulance. I really need to give up smoking. I'm trying to live a more physically active lifestyle in an attempt to combat the depression.

So, has anybody else discovered the benefits of physical exercise and strength training?

2. taranama

taranama Well-Known Member

my friend bought a swiss ball and he swears by it! he reckons that its the best toning ever!! i scared to even sit on the damn thing!!

i started walking lately, and i feel great for it! not really an exercise person, usually, but i feel good!

3. Ruby

Ruby Well-Known Member

I'm nowhere near as fit as I used to be. I used to go dancing and i'd dance almost non stop for hours. I couldn't even last an hour now!

4. Dreamer uk

Thanks for posting, Ruby & Taranama.

Any exercise is better than nothing, even just moving about or going out for a walk. I used to be a lot fitter than I used to be, I couldn't run very far now.

Having a certain level of physical strength makes you feel better about yourself. There are lots of exercises that can be done to workout, everybody should try to mantain a reasonable level of fitness as it prevents illness and increases the bodys natural mood boosters.

Take care everyone

5. Advent

Advent Well-Known Member

Hi Mark, yeah like you I smoke too much, i did try and pack it in to no avail, still gonna do it one day tho.....

I'm not that fit at all, the only thing that keeps me out n about is my two dogs, even if i'm not up to going out I force myself coz of my dogs ( its not their fault i'm ill) I try and do an hour a day with them, which doesnt really tire them out much, but it sure does me, lol.. I am waiting till the dryer weather then we can go to our local park, thats where they do get worn out.. I do have to say no matter how down i am, i feel sooo much better even just after an hours walk, i dont excersise as such just the normal day to day walking up and down the stairs etc etc.

Regards to all

Rich

6. Ahrimar

Ahrimar Well-Known Member

I smoke like a chimney, but strangely, im pretty fit.

Im 6 foot 4. I weigh about 155 lbs. And i look like im sculpted from stone by Michelangelo or something. I don't exercise, i eat burgers every day.... You know, I'd love it if i gained weight from eating all that greasy food and actually had to work out to lose it all.

7. theleastofthese

theleastofthese SF Friend Staff Alumni

not too damn bad, for someone going on 57!:rolleyes: ... and with carpal tunnel and arthritis... and yes, I too get fresh air and sunshine and exercise from walking my two dogs...

8. im quite fit
    i walked 14 miles the other day -
    i wasnt worn out at all.

VERY COLD but not worn out :]

i can do 250 situps and ill still be able to do more
    push ups are hard because my arms are REAL weak
    but i love to swim too
    im quite fit :]

9. Dreamer uk

Thanks for the comments everyone!

I think it is good to make the effort to try to do a bit of exercise.

I did another 2 rounds of cindy this morning and although I was out of breath and panting ike I'd just finished a marathon I think I improved on yesterday.

It is hard effort to do some training but the reward is worth it. I showed my mom my six pack but she laughed and said I had a pot belly. I need to do some cardiovascular work to run off the fat I'm carrying, I don't know how I got this way, I hardly eat anything.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 25, 2008
  10. ^^
    sometimes when you dont eat much
    youre metabolism slows down major
    and when you do eat
    it piles up the weight

and plus if you arent very fit
    -well
    that in itself sorta explains it.

11. Dreamer uk

I just eat when I'm hungry, sometimes I go off my food a bit though because of depression.

Thanks for the info Sarah, yeah I know yo-yo type dieting can get the body to start storing fat. I just need to burn more calories exercising as surfing the web doesn't use a lot of energy. I have an excessive layer of fatty tissue on my belly but I still look quite slim. Hopefully I'll burn the fat off with some physical exercise.

12. ggg456

ggg456 Guest

I think I'm relatively fit in terms of I walk a lot. I've definitely gained back a lot of thigh muscle that had wasted away. And generally I'm the same weight I was in the summer where I was losing and gaining 5 pounds but generally physically wasting away, but now I'm 100% more fit and healthy. I wish I could get rid of this fear of being more softer/curvier, I'd like to but I just generally have this 15 year old indie boy-girl look going on and I don't know. It all makes me sigh and have a headache really:sad:. I do look pretty scrawny at certain angles. If I do get CAT this March, which I doubt, no doubt they'd be assessing my BMI and shaking their head and saying, "Now now now, this weight is anorexsick" not taking into account that I'm so much more healthier than in the summer when I was dying. I don't want to be triggered by those CAT people so maybe I'll give it a miss as they want me to stop my private therapy to see them, not that I even have an appointment yet.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2008
  13. its good ur gonna try and do this the healthy way
    im not saying that not eating much for EVERYONE will cause weight gain - because in some cases it dont, i lost about 3-4 stone in a month when i didnt eat at all much, and kept it off, so its not same for everybody, but depression also can cause both weight gain and weight loss....
    but its very good ur goin about this the right way
    keep it that way :]
    x

14. Dreamer uk

I just found this on the internet which made me laugh.

source: Matt Furey

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 25, 2008
  15. jonstark

jonstark Well-Known Member

Pretty damn fit; for all the good it does.

That stuff about exercise curbing depression... Maybe a bit... But in the long run it doesn't do that much.

16. BOLIAO

BOLIAO Guest

People think I'm getting fitter and fitter over the past few months as I've lost about 20 over pounds but the truth is my depression is killing me. Soon, I'll probably look younger by 10 years , back into my 20s as my weight continue to plunge. but heck cares about my weight.

17. the_nihilist_reason

the_nihilist_reason Antiquities Friend

:blink:

:hysterica

That's actually sort of funny,
    highly inapprorpiate,
    totally out of context,
    and I am not making any sense at all. :laugh:

Just,
    just ignore me.

Pretend I'm not here.

And I'm sorry...
    No, I mean that.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 27, 2008
  18. nagisa

nagisa Chat & Forum Buddy Staff Alumni

I have two of the weakest arms ever, lol.

19. JBird

JBird Well-Known Member

February last year i was really fit. I had a strict routine of exercise;
    7am - 20 minute run around my road
    Relax and drink loads of water
    8am - Ride my bike to school, normally takes an hour to get to school

9am - 3:30 school

3:30 - ride my bike home
    4:30 to 6:30 - skateboard/ride my bike/activities with youth group etc.

and then at about half 8 i'd go for one last run around my road.

I also learnt that to get the energy to do everything i used to do you have to eat decent food as well. balanced healthy 3 meals a day, lots of water, milk and healthy snack.

Right now i'd probably have a heart attack if i had to walk for 20 minutes.

20. LostMyMind

LostMyMind Well-Known Member

I am in terrible physical condition. I've been living a completely sedentary life for about a year and a half, ever since I was diagnosed schizo. Plus I smoke about a pack a day. I plan to start going to the gym sometime soon for an hour a day. I would like to quit smoking but it's very hard to, my willpower isn't very good.