how has SF helped you?

Discussion in 'The Coffee House' started by emily83, Jul 14, 2013.

how has SF helped you?

1. my experience at SF has changed my life completely

4 vote(s)
  2. my experience at SF has really improved my prospects. not changed my life, but improved things

5 vote(s)
  3. my experience at SF has helped me overcome a fear/ certain situation i'm dealing with

0 vote(s)
  4. mutual- not sure if it's really helped or not

3 vote(s)
  5. not helped, but still... it's good to talk to others about issues

0 vote(s)
  6. feel the same as i did before joining sf

1 vote(s)
  7. other (please explain)

4 vote(s)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. emily83

emily83 Well-Known Member

was thinking about this yesterday.. and so i've decided to do it this way in pole format- wanted to do 2 poles, but knew that wouldn't work.... so here goes.

how has SF helped you?
  2. Syn

Syn Well-Known Member

I don't think anyone on this site could help me, and talking about my problems never really helped me. Kinda at the point where my actions are what matters in my life. Still, it's cool to meet other people who feel similarly to me, makes me feel a little less alone sometimes.
  3. black orchid

black orchid Well-Known Member

Without SF I wouldn't be living the life I am at all. I wouldn't be engaged, I would never have met the person who saved my life and I seriously believe I wouldn't be around any more.
  4. Syn

Syn Well-Known Member

I'm really glad to hear that your life has been so positively effected by SF. I'm always glad to hear when this site helps someone :)
  5. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

This site accepted me for me never judged me gave me a safe place when i was thrown away by others never once was i harmed here not intentionally saved me from me really
  6. Mr Stewart

Mr Stewart Well-Known Member

I learned from this site that I am not alone. That others have similar problems to my own. That there is hope. That, with work and help from medication/therapy/positive lifestyle changes, things can improve. Life does not have to be the way it was for me for so many years.
  7. Witty_Sarcasm

Witty_Sarcasm Writer, Musician, Fun Lover, Magic Maker

I feel the same as I did before, I mean I had friends and people who cared, they want nothing to do with me I guess nothing can really help at this point
  8. morning rush

morning rush Well-Known Member

Talking and venting on here did help me, and made me felt supported when I needed. I think it also allows me to think about things. I love also helping others, sometimes I doubt I'm helpful but I still try and I feel less alone too
  9. emily83

emily83 Well-Known Member

i kind of agree with you.... i like this site, talking to you all is awsome- and meeting so many people in the same situations is great.

but like you, i don't think anything can really help me... i'm at that point of my life too
  10. gentlelady

gentlelady Staff Alumni

When I joined I was at the point of no return. Tomorrow simply was not going to come. Two members in chat got me through the night and I am still here 7 years later. I watched my children grow up and become wonderful adults. They didn't have to suffer losing their mother and deal with the stigma of suicide. I know that that someday is still going to happen, but it wasn't that night.
  11. WildCherry

WildCherry Staff Member ADMIN

The friendships and connections I've made here have changed who I am for the better. Before joining this site, I never knew so many caring and non-judgmental people existed.
  12. meaningless-vessel

meaningless-vessel Well-Known Member

I cannot answer this nicely and honestly. It helped me because I found somewhere to try "fitting in" again, with similar thoughts/experiences, but it's not helped because if I don't put effort in, it's rare for others to include me. (And this is something I've adjusted to since I was 11, not a new thing to me. More recently while on an SF break, it's happened with my eldest brother and his wife where they ask others about me yet have a way in which they could contact me, but don't use it).
  13. foreverforgotten

foreverforgotten Well-Known Member

I did have a few conversations with is nice to know your not alone..even if your social skills are horrible
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 6, 2013
  14. Moat

Moat Banned Member

I think just me being here, after four years is enough for me to say about the site, that and it helps greatly when there are people like Bell Nut hanging around, up for a chat whenever. Definitely a place worthy of so much more from all it has done.

:bubbles: :bubbles: :bubbles:
  15. Underground

Underground Well-Known Member

To be honest, not much, but in some ways, yes. But that isn't a criticism of SF. It's because I don't really participate in the forum properly (I don't post a lot nor use chat - I only made 2 brief friends off here) and I haven't been truly suicidal since before I joined the forum. I joined here 4 months after my last suicide attempt in August 2010 and found the 8 page or so thread I made about police and mental health to be therepeutic for me knowing others had gone through similar.

I also like using my diary thread to bitch about shit on too. It's easier doing it on a thread than in a paper diary or a blog.
  16. mbczion

mbczion Well-Known Member

I voted "other" because I am not really expecting this site to change my life. If the definition of "help" means to give me a magic wand to make my life hunky dory, then I can't say this site "helps" me. However, I feel this site does "help" me by being able to express myself and my issues in EVERY way and to be myself. In my real world, I can't always express myself the way I would like, yet here I can. It is also nice to "meet" people from all around the world. Depression is global and knows no bounds when it comes to nationality, language, culture, religion, geography, etc. so it has been nice meeting all of you (hopefully one day in better circumstances). Not least of all, the replies to posts have been warm and heartening.
  17. fromthatshow

fromthatshow Staff Alumni

SF has helped me because I feel that I am not alone.
  18. krazor

krazor Active Member

This site has changed my life completely.
    Came here looking for advice too help a friend and got some great tips and pointers on how to help.
    Also got talking to a girl here and after a few weeks we went out to the cinema. We are now dating and i couldn't be happier they say you find love when your not looking good for it and they are right. :)
  19. GreyCat

GreyCat Well-Known Member

This is the only place where I can say what I am feeling, whether it is being read or not, the people in my life do not understand the depth of my depression at all. When I am feeling suicidal I come here and say it, and this makes me feel a bit better, because this is a space where I am allowed to have depression, where I am allowed to express thoughts about it, instead of in the other world, where people find it awkward and embarrassing, and don't want to know because they don't understand and don't know what to say.

I think it is very telling that nobody(in the real world, not the online world) I ever told about my depression has asked me about it a week or month later. Not cool.

this forum provides a valuable space for me when I need it.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.