How honest should I be?

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by SunFlower, Jul 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SunFlower

SunFlower Member

I was just wondering how honest your supposed to be when getting help. I am currently in counselling and I'm finding it REALLY hard to talk about anything and I'll normally end up just saying that I've been alright during the week even if its been a real struggle.

The urges to end everything have been really strong again lately, and I ended up planning my way out today. I really dont know whether to tell them how im feeling, I guess im scared of the outcome, as I dont know what to expect.
    Would they be angry or annoyed with me?

I also feel like I've been wasting their time, as i cant get the idea of suicide out of my head, it seems like the only way out, and i seem to have no strength (mentally) to try and help myself - If I cant be honest and try to help myself then whats the point anymore.
    Its REALLY becoming too difficult to carry on . . . I dont know what to do. :sad:
    I need everything to stop. I need to die, but I feel SO GUILTY. :sad:

Sorry for posting.

2. reefer madness

reefer madness Account Closed

If you're not honest in your treatment how do you expect to get positive results?

3. Mikeintx

Mikeintx Well-Known Member

Sunflower I would suggest telling the therapist that you are having trouble talking about things... just get it right out in the open that you are having trouble with it and they can help you with that :hug:

4. SunFlower

SunFlower Member

Its not that I dont want to be honest with them, Its more that I cant.
    I'm scared that my family will find out - If they find out I wont be accepted, they really dont understand and from their reactions of me just doing counselling, I'd hate to know what they'd think of me if they found out how things are at the minute.
    Anything against the so called 'normal' and my family stay away.
    I'm just something for them to be ashamed of.

5. ThoseEmptyWalls

ThoseEmptyWalls Well-Known Member

My advice is this.. If you want help, Be honest.. Its simple as that. They cant help you if they dont know the truth. If your worried about being admitted to hospital just be careful in your wording. My moms a social worker at a mental health place and she told me that because I have been in hospital twice and I told her Id really go thru with a suicide if I had to go back in. She knows I wasnt helped by being put in there..Okay to make a long story short..Just be honest. Watch your wording and be honest.

6. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

Sunflower with therapy your therapist understands it is hard to talk at first. If you can't get your feelings out in talking the write down your thoughts on a piece of paper and as your walking in your session hand it to your therapist.
    This will open up the ability for you to talk because a good therapist will be able to help you trust. Unfortunately they are not mind readers and for you to get the full benefit of their help we have to be open with them SMALL steps at a time though you go at your comfort level each time it will get easier but for now if there is something you want to talk about just write it down on paper your questions your fears anything This will be very helpful to both you and your therapist. Let us know how you do okay take care mary

7. Remedy

Remedy Chat & Forum Buddy

When I go to therapy my response to "How are you? How have things been?" etc. is always 'ok'. This could be why I'm not getting much out of it. They do always ask how I feel on a scale of one - ten (one being suicidal and ten being...great) that might be an idea to try with yours? You should be honest because then you can get the suitable help. Let them know you think about suicide a lot so they can decide the best way to support you. I doubt they will get angry or annoyed. :hug: Hoping you feel better soon.

8. morning rush

morning rush Well-Known Member

How would your family find out what your talking about with your therapist? These conversations are always private...

Perhaps you can write your feelings down like you do here and give it to your therapist. then take it from there...

You are not waisting her/his time...she/he is there to help you and help doesnt happen over night...it takes time...take it one day at a time....and don't be so hard on yourself...

I can relate to your feeling guilty...I can't work because of my illness and alot of my family don't understand that...it's sad but I got to think of myself first...that can be hard to do but take it one day at a time....

I hope what I said made sense :console:

9. killtomorrow

killtomorrow Well-Known Member

well if your going for medication i think its best if you come out and say what all your feeling otherwise you'll just be wasting your time with piece of shit medication that doesnt do a damn thing for you

10. SunFlower

SunFlower Member

They told me that they could inform my parents/family if they thought they needed to. So i probably cant tell them about how i feel properly without the fear of my family finding out.

I had counselling and i was alot more honest than usual but i still cant talk about my problems easily and i dont think i ever will, its my fault things wont get better.
    I cant remember a time of wanting to be here, so i dont think i should be anymore. I should appreciate life but i cant - i seem to only see the bad in life. Nothings going to change until i die and until i am free of all feeling.

Thank you for everyones advice and support - Im not sure i deserved it, but i am really grateful to you all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.