How I experience depression...

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by Not the end, Aug 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Not the end

Not the end New Member

I have tried to seek professional help once before, and I stuck with it for about a month, but I stopped. Something about professional help has never felt right for me. I can't seem to bring myself to continue to see someone about it. I don't really want to list excuses, but have your hand at convincing me if you please.

The objective of this thread was to try and perhaps get help from other people about how to deal with things. My kind of depression is what I call "seasonal." I don't know any professional terms, as I haven't been able to successfully really research depression without feeling an urge to stop. Anyhow, as the name might imply, my depression comes and goes, weeks of up and then weeks of down. I can usually tell when I'm starting to go back down, but I don't know how to stop it. I don't like anti-depressants, I'm a firm believer in the power of the mind, but I can't seem to keep myself from falling back into slumps.

My depression gets rather severe at times, and I feel like I'm on my way back into another pit... what can I do to stop this?
  2. dazzle11215

dazzle11215 Staff Alumni

i recommend a book by mary ellen copeland called the depression (and bipolar) workbook. if you go to amazon you will find it. she helps you figure out what the patterns are in your illness, and how to prevent a relapse. i found the book really helped me identify when a downturn was coming, and how to take steps to help yourself before you get really bad. for me, things like walking, sleeping properly, relaxation classes, writing in a journal, and a good therapist who taught me to talk back to the negative throughts really helped. but the thing is, what works will be different for each of us. learning your early warning signs will make a huge difference in your recovery. let me know if you get the book and what you think about it.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.