How is this for irony? **MAJOR TRIGGER CAUTION**

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by ToHelp, Mar 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ToHelp

ToHelp Well-Known Member

Just found that out that seven months ago, celebrated lead singer for Boston, Brad Delp, kiled his damned self. Left a note saying, "I'm a lonely soul."

(If it was noted on here, I searched and could not find it.)

Goddamnit. I always knew--once I started actually paying attention to the lyrics, that there was something amiss about "Gonna Hitch a Ride," a beautiful, melodious soft rock tune (all their songs were beautiful).

But this was a song about suicide. I think I first picked up on that as early as a few years ago. When I told my best friend, even he had "thought to think."

Day is night in New York City
    Smoke, like water, runs inside
    Steel idle trees to pity
    Every living things that's died

Gonna hitch a ride
    Head for the other side
    Leave it all behind
    Never change my mind
    Gonna sail away
    Sun lights another day
    Freedom on my mind
    Carry me away for the last time
    Oh yeah

Life is like the coldest winter
    People freeze the tears I cry
    Words of hail their minds are into
    I've got to crack this ice and fly

[Final instrumental]

* * * * *​

So he left this world at age 55; the song (on their debut album) was published in 1976. It makes no sense--he had all the family I long for. For crying out loud, they even regrouped and did a third album album aptly enough titled, The Third Stage in the 1986.

I know all this because I am a Boston fan.

Well, here's the point for me: a tired old cliche: It just goes to show, you never really know about people.

:sad: ToHelp
  2. Esmeralda

Esmeralda Well-Known Member

Nope, you never really know what's going on with people. "More than a feelin'" is one of my favorite songs. I rock that song on Guitar Hero :)
  3. ToHelp

ToHelp Well-Known Member

So many people have come and gone
    Their faces fade as the years go by
    Yet I still recall as I wander on
    As clear as the sun in the summer sky

Music is the language of the soul.

What I meant above was that after all these years, my friend hadn't "thought to think" of the suicidal lyrics of Hitch a Ride.
  4. suicidal maniac

suicidal maniac Well-Known Member

It makes perfect sense as musicians have what is called morbid gain, I read it in a psychollogy book. They keep tormenting themselves emotionaly to get that low so that they can produce good music. He probably had a long standing mental illness, as most good mucisians do.
  5. Used to like Boston back in the day (though I was far more into prog-rock)

"Hitch A Ride", out over 30 years ago, was actually written by Tom Scholz, not Brad.

He died a year ago on March 9 (...and left personal notes to all the members of his family). He lived a healthy lifestyle, and contributed to numerous charitites. What goes on beneath the surface, no one ever knows...(and he died "peacefully")

Last edited: Mar 16, 2008
  6. ToHelp

ToHelp Well-Known Member

:thumbup: FoundAndLost that is a great observation. One hasn't necessarily anything to do with the other, and drawing the relation was reckless on my part. Sholz himself is still alive less there be any confusion.

Whew! "Makes perfect sense"!? Your post amounts to a wild overgeneralization. "Morbid gain" is an arcane concept from fundamental Freudian psychoanalysis (along with secondary morbid gain, ego, superego, id...). These are more concepts than afflictions. From the millions of good musicians (and other talented artists in the world), you would say that most of them are mentally ill. I ain't buying it. It's an outrageous claim.

Now... if you can produce links to current studies...

:wink: ToHelp
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.