How long do you have withdrawal symptoms after a binge?

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by Endlessagony, Oct 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Endlessagony

Endlessagony Well-Known Member

Just wondering how long you have withdrawal symptoms after a period of heavy drinking? By heavy drinking I mean about 1 month where you get really hammered 2-4 times a week and drink around a 6-pack minimum each day.
    I stopped after last saturday and haven't had a sip since and I'm experiencing severe depression (I was already depressed before), anxiety, restlessness, palpatations and extreme feelings of self pity and loathing.
    Is it normal to last for several days or weeks?

2. BeautifullyChaotic

BeautifullyChaotic Well-Known Member

Alcohol is one of the hardest to kick. I remember when I quit drinking, it lasted for a couple of weeks. I had been drinking to the point of passing out every other night for a few months, and at least one bottle of wine a day the other days of the week.

One thing that helped me was benadryl. Sounds weird but it helped calm the shaking and the heartbeat skips, and that, in turn, helped a little with the anxiety and restlessness. Don't take the full dose, just a half does, one tablet.

Also, drink a ton of water, it will help clear your system and pickles help too if you can stand the taste.

3. Endlessagony

I'm trying to drink lots of water and yesterday I went to the store and bought me some healthy food ingredients, my binges are always associated with lots of junk foods. It probably doesn't help either having your stomach constantly going in overdrive.
    Thanks for the benadryl tip, I might go to the pharmacy tomorrow to see if they have it.

4. BeautifullyChaotic

BeautifullyChaotic Well-Known Member

It's not a problem :).
    If the junk foods you were eating were salty, it's not so bad. The salt helps to absorb the alcohol, but of course it comes with problems all it's own lol. I had a bad thing for sweets when I would drink, pastry and stuff like that.
    You need breads right now, and red meat. The starches will help absorb the extra acids laying in your stomach and the red meat will give you energy so you can exercise. Walking and jogging are good for healing the body after a binge, sweat out all the toxins.

5. Endlessagony

I've found the food that makes me feel the best is lots of vegetables and chicken/fish. For carbohydrates I like to eat fibre-rich bread. Heavily salted and fatty, floury food makes me stomach really upset (and alcohol). The improvement in my abdomen since yesterday is already noticeable.

6. caliban

caliban Active Member

We sound similar. I've only started to binge drink the last year after a debilitating accident and an extensive period of unemployment (pushing myself with alcohol more than what I've ever done before in a very sick way) and generally can go a few weeks without drinking then anxiety/depression/doubt/guilt (you name it) will seemingly overtake me from nowhere and I just crumble and need to drink away the pain. Some days I will drink for days on end and just have a bag of chips or hardly eat at all. Prior to alcohol I lived a very healthy lifestyle which included bodybuilding and jogging (something I can't do anymore because of my newly acquired disability). Lots of junk food during my binges as well. Actually, somehow I managed to make it to the store and purchase 17 dollars worth of trolli candy on my last binge when I was completely plastered. After my binges I am amazed at the stupidity and the lack of self control I'm capable of. Here's hoping you are smarter than I am. After I binge I try to get into a healthy/positive lifestyle again but I just haven't been able to build any momentum or reason to stop and I drink again and become very self destructive. Wish I could be more helpful but I have the same problem.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.