How Long Have You Been Suffering With Depression?

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by boo, Nov 5, 2009.

?

How Long Have You Been Suffering With Depression?

1. 0-6 Months

2 vote(s)
    3.8%
  2. 7 Months - 1 Year

4 vote(s)
    7.5%
  3. 2 Year - 4 Years

12 vote(s)
    22.6%
  4. 5 Years - 6 Years

7 vote(s)
    13.2%
  5. 7 Years - 8 Years

2 vote(s)
    3.8%
  6. 9 Years - 10 Years

6 vote(s)
    11.3%
  7. 11 Years - 15 Years

7 vote(s)
    13.2%
  8. 16 Years - 20 Years

7 vote(s)
    13.2%
  9. 21 Years - 30 Years

3 vote(s)
    5.7%
  10. 31 Years +

3 vote(s)
    5.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. boo

boo Well-Known Member

Sorry if this has been done before. In any case.

Life is an emotional rollercoaster. The ups and down is enough to make anyone sick. Sometime we have suffered from depression for so long we dont realiazed its part of us. Tell us how long have you endured this curse.

poll coming

2. NoGood

NoGood Well-Known Member

I dont have an exact date but i can remember when i started hating myself. I put down 5-6 yrs cause thats when i started noticing that i was sad although i tried to kill myself and hurt myself about 9-10 yrs ago but i dont think i was sad then just confused and constricted. I dunno.

3. Aurora Gory Alice

Aurora Gory Alice Well-Known Member

I remember feeling depressed as early as about 9 years old, but when I really realised what it was and began to feel suicidal and document how I was feeling in my diary, was age 13. I think puberty really toyed with my emotions and I have never recovered.

4. DreamReaver

DreamReaver Well-Known Member

for way too long, over 16 years

5. TheBLA

TheBLA Well-Known Member

I have had depression for four years now, it started in late August 2005 when I started university and found and joined this forum right then and there. My depression is because of my immense inferiority complex, I don't think, I KNOW that I am inferior. I have wasted much of my life indoors on the computer and TV, missing out on experiences and other things everyone else has. I have a very sheltered, empty and boring life and feel that it is too late for me to change and I am doomed forever to a life of emptiness and misery and I am only 22 years old.

I have been a "loser" way before I started college so I am not too sure why going there triggered my depression. It just happened, that's all I can really say.

6. D3AD

D3AD Member

11yr for me. Started when step-father decided to beat me up for no reason. Then I would rebel, go out and drink. Out of there now, but it was a vicious cycle.

7. ZombiePringle

ZombiePringle Forum Buddy and Antiquities Friend

Since I was 12 at least so at least 13 years. probably has been longer but thats when I first realized I had depression issues.

8. Mortal Moon

Mortal Moon Well-Known Member

I have no idea, honestly. It's sort of a gradual progression. I was never a particularly cheerful kid; everyone who knows me well has commented on how reserved and contemplative I am, as far back as I can remember. And I've always cried a lot, especially for a male. But strictly speaking, I was only officially diagnosed with depression about a year ago.

9. justafool

justafool Well-Known Member

I was informed that I was a cranky, miserable baby. I can remember being depressed as a young child.

so, it has been A L W A Y S !

10. am I alive

am I alive Well-Known Member

Like 4 years of constant depression, but was depressed before from time to time...

11. fromthatshow

fromthatshow Staff Alumni

I voted 2-4 but actually it's probably 5 or 6... and I'm only 20.

12. Jehuty

Jehuty Senior Member

Would you kindly add the option "Way too long" ? :dry:

13. morfea

morfea Antiquities Friend

as long as I can remember, with a period of several years when I got married and had kids when I didn't feel it

14. Sad Rabbit

Sad Rabbit Account Closed

I cannot remember a time when I have been without it.

Sometimes it sits in the background and I can keep a lid on it.

Most times its at the front of my mind

Ocasionally, it forces me attempt my life

But it is always there.

15. Mortal Moon

Mortal Moon Well-Known Member

This.

16. boo

boo Well-Known Member

I can't change the poll, sorry :(

17. skywalker540

skywalker540 Member

Since I was 11, so that's 15 years now. To be honest I can't see myself getting better and my mentality is just shot to pieces after all this time of trying to fight the depression/anxiety and live a happy life.

18. J_Oli3

J_Oli3 Well-Known Member

Since 2004, so five years. But can recall times before when even though I was very happy, normal, content I had depressive tendencies/thoughts

19. max0718

max0718 Well-Known Member

Had depression since I was 16 (I'm now 24). I guess in that time you could have called me passively suicidal in that I thought about it, but never seriously considered it until I was 22. Been battling to get rid of those thoughts ever since.

20. HarleyTwin

HarleyTwin Staff Alumni

I'd go with the "way too long" option like others have said, but I settled with the 21-30 years.

I'm 23, and I distinctly remember when I was about 2 years old, I was sitting at the window of our flat one the 16th floor and wondered if I jumped, if God would catch me. At that time, my mother was in hospital with her own depression, and my father was angry. I thought God was the only person who loved me.

It just never went away after that. Except nowdays, I wonder if God loves me at all. There was times when I was happy, but few and far in between. I had a lot of issues growing up and I remember crying at least once a day up until now. From something as petty as ice not freezing, to recalling traumatic memories.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.