how long have you suffered from mental illness ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
i was wondering about how long you have suffered from mental illness. i have suffered for a very long time with depression i haven't told many people about the way i feel because i dont think people will understand or believe me.i feel like a complete burden on my friends and family because i know they all have problems themselves they dont need me making things worse. i dont feel as if i really have anyone i can talk to about this.

Re: how long have you seffered from mental illness ?

since i was 13 (that was the first time i thought of suicide). i didn't attempt until i was 16. another attempt at 17 and another at 42. i'm 45 now, so that's 30 years or so battling mental illness...

best thing i ever did was go talk to my doctor about my depression. from that i got a diagnosis of bipolar, meds and therapy.

life is so much better for me now.

tell someone. you can heal.

FBD

my first attempt at suicide i was either 8 or 9....first started self harming when i was umm 7? not sure on the age....im 21 now so over 10 years

marmite

about 33 years I think as was 18 now 51 I was diagnosed bipolar and am on meds so life a bit better now.meds cause other problems though.

Petal

~*Mod Extraordinaire*~
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter

roughly around 10 years. depression, suicidal thoughts, suicide attempts, stress, anxiety, occasional hallucinations. I want to be free from mental illness. :(

Growing Pains

I've had social anxiety problems since I was about 7... but the first time I experienced depressive and suicidal thoughts, I was about twelve, that was also the first time I went to a therapist (and... admittedly, the last time I went to one was when I was 14). That was nine or so years ago.

tweetypie

Antiquities Friend

ive always had avpd as long as i can remember and ptsd too but the depression since i was 17(32 now) although now they say its bipolar xx

PollyAnna

Account Closed

Since the age of 11.I am now 16. My mental Illness derives from being abused, and having medical conditions.

LillMy8989

Since I was 5 years old, I lay in the middle of the road... And My memories of it was Great, No 'am I really doing this', I thought it was just Nature cause No pain but body was laying there, I had my brother screaming 'get out of there', or have me secure, but I was so 'in love' with roads and danger , I wanted , but not wanted to... Thats haunting me, no one would ever belive, say its just your imagination, ye some one i there, but that is god just guessing... but screaminbg cause im no religion

That is still a 'nightmare' for me, not knoe What was wrong, then... I know now, I am not crazy... just diffrent thinking with society, thats okay cause I know MY Rights, but they dont..Im lost.

i started self harming at about ten i was going through alot at the time like my grandfathers death a few years prior and i was being bullied i tried to tell someone but no one would listen back then.

i have a few medical conditions to one being ibs syndrome i have had it most of my life the doctors now think.throughout my life no one believed me about the pain i was in which made me feel worse they either said i was lying about the pain i was in or that i would grow out of it which i haven't.

Started cutting at 13, first suicide attempt at 14 which really hurt. I'm 20 now so its been 7 years. Getting help (even if involuntary) was a great step for me, i'm more stable usually, my family is very supportive - especially since i can open up more about it now. Only bad thing has been meds which isnt really so bad. Unless you get bad side effects which i've been fortunate to avoid thankfully.

TheBLA

The biggest loser ever to live.

I have been severely depressed and thought about suicide since August 2005 (right as I joined college and joined this forum right afterwards!). But I feel that my problems have been going on a lot longer than that. But before August 2005, I never thought about death, dying, my funeral, suicide, and falling into very deep depression etc.

I have been severely depressed and thought about suicide since August 2005 (right as I joined college and joined this forum right afterwards!). But I feel that my problems have been going on a lot longer than that. But before August 2005, I never thought about death, dying, my funeral, suicide, and falling into very deep depression etc.
My mental illness didn't become serious until my late 20's....that is when it truly affected me horribly.

So about 6 years now. :anony:

i think that mental illness is one of the hardest things anyone can ever go through no matter what age they are. none of us were ever taught about how to handle it we have had to learn and its been one very difficult process

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$70.00
Goal
$255.00