How Long Until A Wound Can't Be Stitched?

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by x BrokenBabydoll x, Mar 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. x BrokenBabydoll x

x BrokenBabydoll x Well-Known Member

So I slipped up and cut pretty badly, steri-strips wouldn't hold and it needs stitching, but the only GP i'd be willing to see isn't working until Thursday morning. Just wondering if it can wait for stitches until then, not sure how long after med professionals will close cuts?

2. AlopexAngel

AlopexAngel Chat Buddy

Try super glue. Vets use it instead of stitches (at least some do) and it works just as well as stitches.

3. TheOncomingStorm

TheOncomingStorm Well-Known Member

No - wounds cannot be stitched after the 24hour mark. Superglue that you buy from stores is NOT sterile, therefore you'd be pretty stupid to risk infection, it also can irritate the skin and experts say should never be used on deep wounds.

4. AlopexAngel

AlopexAngel Chat Buddy

Your risking infection anyway since the wounds been open for that long.

5. dazzle11215

dazzle11215 Staff Alumni

do NOT glue the wound. stop by the ER. they can take care of you right away. sorry this happened.

6. TheOncomingStorm

If you clean the wound appropriately, its unlikely to get infected, where as you cant clean it once you've used the glue.

7. x BrokenBabydoll x

Thanks for all your advice, my nearest A&E is like 25 miles away, and my GP didn't ask to see my cuts so i've just been cleaning the wounds an changing the dressings everyday, how long should I keep gauze and bandages over them for? They're down to subcutaneous fat, only time i've ever gone that deep before I had it stitched so i've got no idea how to look after them?

8. AlopexAngel

AlopexAngel Chat Buddy

I would do at least 2 weeks. It kind of depends on how fast the wound is healing. If you see any (!) red streaks, pus, swollenness, or it feels warm to touch, seek emergency help immediately.

9. Miu

Miu Well-Known Member

I have been cutting for eight years and I've never gotten stitches even though I go pretty deep. The most importaint thing to do with deep wounds is to clean then often and make sure no dirt gets stuck inside the wounds. I clean my wounds with soap in the shower. It hurts, but it work.

10. TheOncomingStorm

Dont use soap...the perfumes and that used in showergels and soaps can actually irritate the wound and cause infection.

11. x BrokenBabydoll x

Thankyou all for your advice :) They're healing up okay, none of them look infected and i've just been cleaning them with sterile water and fresh dressings everyday <3

12. Miu

Miu Well-Known Member

I've always washed with soap and I've never had an infection. I guess I am lucky..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.