How many careers did you want as a child?

Discussion in 'The Coffee House' started by Illusion, Jun 21, 2011.

How many careers did you want as a child?

1. None

1 vote(s)
  2. 1-3

9 vote(s)
  3. 4-6

3 vote(s)
  4. 7-9

1 vote(s)
  5. To many to count!

1 vote(s)
  6. Can't remember...

2 vote(s)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Illusion

Illusion Well-Known Member

Most of us remember being a kid and talking about wanting to be something. I'm just doing this poll to see what everyone votes. I have a feeling a lot of people wont remember though but its worth a shot. Feel free to discuss your vote thats by range. By the way, I don't mean having different careers at one time. I'm talking about how many different careers did you want to be as a kid? I believe I wanted to be 6. Technically 5 cause 1 of them isn't even real and that would be a part of the Mystery Inc Gang. To this day I'd still love that job if it was real lol! Going to haunted places with friends & having a great time. The other careers that are real that I wanted to be growing up would be in the row as listed.. Firefighter, Artist, Veterinarian, Photographer, and Author.

I was mainly wanting to be a Firefighter at 5 years old. Afterwards I stuck with the idea of being an Artist for a few years. I eventually got discouraged by everyones amazing talent at art. Plus my creativity art wise was lacking & people started getting on my nerves about it. The joy of art just wasn't there anymore so I switched to the idea of a Veterinarian at age 12. Then I thought the pressure of an animals life in my hands is to heartbreaking so I switched to the idea of a Photographer or an Author at age 13. I'm currently about to be 16 in a month and don't really have any career goals anymore.. I was leaning more towards the Author side but I slacked off of coming up with stories. I won't go into much further discussion about that cause I hate discussing my future plans for now with people cause they always say something that ticks me off so I'll end it here. I'm interested to hear some of the replies if they're any.

OH! Random if you feel like answering as a bonus but did anyone have Career Day or Career Week in their school? We mainly had Career Day in Elementary School. I loved it & was always fascinated at peoples jobs. By time I got in Middle School they did Career Week mainly. I started dreading it then cause I started loosing interest bout what other people careers were. I believe I'd skip a couple of days of that week cause the days would always be so long when you're going room after room listening to them go on and on about stuff. I believe I was always interested in the Police stuff that was like those shows CSI, Law and Order, etc. Most the kids were cause of all the cool stuff they do. I could never picture myself doing those jobs though cause the risks are high. Fashion people would always depress me and give me odd looks for being so fat & gloomy while mentioning "you must have a petite figure and a nice outgoing attitude so people will be attracted to you!" while glancing at me at points.

Whoops. Sorry for double post of the same passage. This site is acting up for me today & keeps giving me Error Messages.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 21, 2011
  2. AxiomUltimatum

AxiomUltimatum Well-Known Member

I had 2 career wants.
    First was up to age of 5 was to be mummy.
    Second one has always been there since even though I'm now 22 and studying accounting, ui most definitely haven't let go of my hearts desire to sing. :)
  3. Illusion

Awwwww :smile:
    I never wanted to be a mother.. I remember a lot of kids in my class would want to be parents the most but I never did.
    I didn't even want to think about the idea of marriage either and I still don't to this day. :laugh:
  4. nolonger

nolonger Well-Known Member

my mum told me i used to change my jobs everyday...from farmer, to tailor, to soldier, all kinds of things. These days, i wouldnt have the faintest clue lol.
  5. AxiomUltimatum

AxiomUltimatum Well-Known Member

I don't think I wanted to be a mother... I think I wanted to be my mum. Lol
  6. Illusion

lol. I stuck to the idea of an artist the longest as a kid. Not surprised though cause usually people are kind about kid's art. Thats probably how I got so cocky about my art as a kid then got discouraged when I got older. Plus as you get older, art classes expect you to do a lot more than color a rainbow. :laugh:
  7. Illusion

Whoops. Misread. Sorry. Haven't slept in nearly 20 hours. Eyesight goes bad when I'm tired. :p
  8. soon2bforgotten

soon2bforgotten Well-Known Member

I don't remember too much. I know my dad wanted me to become a basketball player in the nba. I probably just wanted to be a superhero. I miss being a child. A time where my life wasn't fu... a better time.
  9. lancashirelass

lancashirelass Well-Known Member

I just wanted to work with children ended up working with elderly lol not much difference sometimes :laugh:
  10. Illusion

I miss being a child to. The world was such an adventure as a kid. My mom wanted me to play basketball to by the way since I'm so tall for a girl at just 15 (5'8). My mother and grandmother played in High School. I hate sports though & ended up dropping out playing no sports.

You got that right! I heard when people become old they're like children all over again. You have to care for them and watch over them. Thats nice though. :)
  11. LillMy8989

LillMy8989 Well-Known Member

I wanted them all!!! Till now...

I am a psychiatrist:DD no schools, just from experience
  12. Mr Stewart

Mr Stewart Well-Known Member

I voted none. When I was very young I would tell people I wanted to drive tractors when I grew up. I didn't mean as a job though, I just wanted to drive them for fun.

I didn't think about that sort of thing normally. For a large portion of my late childhood and teens, I was just trying to survive from day to day. When I eventually graduated highschool and was in position to make a decision, I looked at what I was sort of good at, what my grades qualified me for, and picked. I went to art school. I did well. I was, and am, good at it. But... doing it professionally as I have done for the past four years... I hate it. Nothing makes you lose love for a hobby as fast as going pro.
  13. Illusion

Thats cool :3. My Dad was wanting to be a psychiatrist. He never did become one though. He got an offering to become a Male Model and nearly accepted but didn't. Just like my mom got an offer to play in the WNBA but met my dad and turned the offer down. I kinda wish she would have taken that offer so the series of bad events that later happened to her wouldn't have happened and she would be living a better life by now. Both of them would have probably been rich and famous but love took over.

Ah. Sounds a bit similar to how I was about Art. Enjoyed it as a kid but when people started to expect more out of me, the fun disappeared and I started to hate Art. I have no clue now what I would want to be career wise. I just want to help my family out with their needs and with raising my half sister. I'd just find a random decent paying job that I can cope with and go with it like helping at a Library, an Animal Shelter or something. I'd love if I could help animals in some way. Becoming a vet would have been to much pressure like I mentioned though.
  14. Mr. E

Mr. E Well-Known Member

When I was 10 years old I decided wanted to be an aeronautical engineer. What kind of craziness is that!? That went out the window when I discovered my disdain for mathematics.

Being a professional singer was a close second. :huh: Lightsaber instructor if all else failed. Nothing about me makes sense.
  15. reynard_muldrake

reynard_muldrake Well-Known Member

At seven I remember wanting to be a wizard. I still think it wouldn't be a bad gig ;). I also thought bartending seemed fun. Nowadays? No thanks.
  16. Illusion

Perhaps I should have voted 7-9 cause I just remembered one more job. For a bit I wanted to work at my Uncle's restaurant. Family rivalry and anxiety got in the way of that.
  17. Witty_Sarcasm

Witty_Sarcasm Writer, Musician, Fun Lover, Magic Maker

singer & writer. kinda the same now with filmmaker added
  18. BrinkOfExistence

BrinkOfExistence Well-Known Member

RAF Helicopter pilot.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.