How Many Friends Do You Have OUTside Of The Internet?

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by Winslow, Aug 31, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Winslow

Winslow Antiquitie's Friend SF Supporter

Although it's easy to make friends on the internet, it's very difficult or even impossible for most people here to get friends in the REAL-world, that is, OUTside the internet. Friends on-line can be supportive but they still are NOwhere as good as having friends in the REAL world. Because if it's limited to only on-line, then you still suffer loneliness. Humans are meant for IN-PERSON interaction.

In my case, as far as friends in the REAL world, I have three. My best friend is one I've had all the way from 1971 or 1972 (long time!), and we meet downtown every Thursday, and have a very enjoyable time. He has some offensive habits, but I've learned to tolerate them since I want to keep his friendship.

The other two friends are ones I meet only sporadically. For example, this morning, when I went to buy my groceries, I ran into Thomas by accident. He volunteers at a local hospital, so I went there with him today where he plays the piano for the elderly patients.

As for my third friend, he phones me only once in a while. And we get together. So basically the friend I meet on a regular basis is the one I meet every Thursday.

Having said that about myself, let me ask the others among you, how many friends do you have OUTside the internet? How long have you known them and how often do you meet them? And how do they impact on your life?
  2. Cicada 3301

Cicada 3301 Staff Member Safety & Support SF Supporter

3. RainThunder

RainThunder Member

Um. No.
  4. Witty_Sarcasm

Witty_Sarcasm Writer, Musician, Fun Lover, Magic Maker

I have 3 close friends outside of the internet. Anyone else I would consider an acquaintance. They are the women I met in group therapy. We are always there for each other, to support each other through the good and bad times. I try to meet with them as often as possible, and we all help one another to become more confident and happy.
  5. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

I have 3 close friends outside of the internet.

M is a great support to me (she has her issues with mental health too), she complains too much but I guess she is who she is. I must ring her soon to see how she is.

H is also great but I rarely get to see her but we still phone a lot. Have known her since I was a baby.

E is a new addition, she is funny and I've known her since I was 13.

So,yeah 3 friends I can go to if I need support in the ''real'' world.
  6. Prinnctopher's Belt

Prinnctopher's Belt Antiquities Friend SF Supporter

I talk to a housemate of mine often, so I guess she is a friend. I think most people are merely acquaintances. I met a woman who I used to know in junior high school but we havent really reconnected, so I dont consider her a friend.

As far as friends go, I feel really bare and lonely. So, no friends, real life or internet. Maybe one internet friend.
  7. ThePhantomLady

ThePhantomLady Safety and Support SF Supporter

I have a best friend in the real world and a group of friends too... I struggle with understanding relations and where I 'stand' with people but I think of the group I can count 2 of them as friends... so 3 friends.

Online I have a few more friends, I have a network of people I can talk to about different things and I appreciate that so much... it's easier for me to understand online relations.
  8. Aether

Aether Slave of the SDS

9. Flaxney

Flaxney Well-Known Member

I have a few acquaintances and one true friend. I'm not very good at forming meaningful relationships with people unfortunately.
  10. CGMAngel

CGMAngel Well-Known Member

Sigh squared.
  11. betteroffunknown

betteroffunknown Well-Known Member

A year ago I would have said about 20 friends (there were so many I can't actually sit here and count em all), and had countless meaningful acquaintances. This year I can only think of two friends. I still know a very large sum of people, but am far more cautious of who I call friends now. The two I consider friends now I've known for a very long time. One I've known for 26yrs, and the other one 31yrs.
  12. Flying Fox

Flying Fox Well-Known Member

One truly good friend. She is a gem; I am unbelievably lucky to have such a person on my side.
    na-taya likes this.
  13. Unknown_111

Unknown_111 Forum Buddy Staff Alumni SF Supporter

I don't have any friends but I try to make people smile. Life is spreading happiness and laughter but not causing hurt. I am very soft and would help anyone. If anyone cries, then I cry. Life is about helping others and not causing pain. I have caused a lot of pain in the past but I apologise and try to learn. People take advantage of my kindness and think it's funny to belittle me. All this belittling causes me mental anguish and trust Me I continue to suffer everyday. Live each day with happiness and laughter.
  14. Aquarius123

Aquarius123 Well-Known Member

Doing The Right Things

People are unreasonable, illogical and self-centred.
    You don’t have to like them, but love them anyway!

They are all part of your own family.
    They are part of you and you are part of them.
    They may not yet know it, but you being wiser,
    Love them anyway!

People may project their own ulterior motives onto you,
    And accuse you of having them.
    Rest safe in the knowledge that the Universe
    Knows their hearts as well as yours.
    Do good anyway!

If being successful means that we can only win
    False friends and real enemies.
    Succeed anyway!

The good we do today may be forgotten tomorrow.
    Do it anyway!

What could have taken years of building up,
    Can be destroyed overnight.
    Build anyway!

People who are in need of our help,
    May attack us whilst we are trying to help them.
    Help anyway!

Give the world the best that is within you,
    And should it be rejected, do not stop giving.
    Give anyway!

The Universal Law of Karma ensures that what we send
    Into the world, has to return to us.
    Give of your best and only the best is sure to return!

Bishop Abel Muzorewa
    African Spiritual and Political Leader
    Edited by Aquarius

From ‘Relationship Healing’

15. NYJmpMaster

NYJmpMaster Have a question? Message Me Staff Member Forum Owner ADMIN

One though I only see them every few years and really only talk on FB now .. so that would be more of an internet friend that i happened to have met first in real life and now stay in touch through internet....
  16. Growing Pains

Growing Pains Well-Known Member

If it helps to know, must people in adulthood only have about three good friends offline. I have about that many, too. Quality is more important than quantity
  17. Acy

Acy Mama Bear - TLC, Common Sense Staff Member Safety & Support

"Real" real life or two, and some deepening "acquaintanceships" with a couple more people, which might have potential for friendship.

Friendships take time to develop - there's hope. The more people we meet, the greater the chances of developing friendships. :) I don't think it's ever too late.
    CandleLight likes this.
  18. Aquarius123

Aquarius123 Well-Known Member

Knowing that in truth all of us are siblings in the vast human family, how could I have something against anyone? Nobody is our enemy and everybody basically is our friend. It’s just that for the length of a lifetime we find ourselves in our present existence. All of us are like children at school and as performers on the vast stage of life. We are acting out the drama of an existence in physicality so we can learn from each other and through this grow in wisdom and understanding of God’s true nature, our own and the processes of life.

19. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

zero the way i want it though no connections safe way
  20. AngelofPainandMisery

AngelofPainandMisery Fails to communicate effectively

I have no friends outside of the internet that I can trust. I also have extreme, extreme social anxiety and I can't function or interact with other people at all, besides people just ignore me anyways I might as well not be there at all because it doesn't matter.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.