Votes: 9 45.0%
  • No

Votes: 11 55.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBLA

The biggest loser ever to live.
Previously, I had read some reports that there are correlations between those born premature and their risk of being depressed and attempting suicide all the way into adulthood. I myself was born at least two weeks premature and had weighed less than 4lb. Of course, I am definitely very depressed and think frequently of committing suicide someday, though not attempted thus far. I know this may seem like a silly poll to conduct. Its just something I am curious about. I'd appreciate any input and responses, thanks! I already voted in the poll.

Below are some news articles I found related to such studies.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ies-likely-commit-suicide-research-finds.html

http://bjp.rcpsych.org/content/189/6/502.full

http://www.theage.com.au/national/premature-birth-link-to-anxiety-and-depression-20090820-es2n.html

http://newsblogs.chicagotribune.com/triage/2008/10/depression-and.html

Last edited by a moderator:

Fredericks

I was born slightly premature--about two weeks. Depression seems to run in my family, but both I and my parents had bad histories: they both came from broken homes and were emotionally and physically abusive, so I don't know to what degree my depression is genetic, environmental, or a result of being a bit premature.

TheBLA

The biggest loser ever to live.
My family doesn't have a history of mental illness, as far as I know anyways. This is because its extremely taboo in Indian culture and society that even if it existed in my family, it was likely kept under wraps as best as possible. Also, because India is still very much a 3rd world, developing nation, that records were likely not kept anyways.

As far as I know, I am the only one in my family to have mental illness, severe depression, anxiety, thoughts of suicide, etc. But I believe the main cause of it is circumstantial, not biological. But I'm not a doctor, so what the hell.

But I wasn't always depressed. Maybe being born premature was a slight factor. But I believe the main factor was moving around frequently as a young child, always moving to new schools, losing friends as soon as I made them, being constantly bullied and ostracized. The moving stopped after age 13, but I think the permanent damage was already long done by then. However, my brother was never affected and turned out just fine. But I don't believe he was bullied at all, or at least far, far less than I was.

TheLoneWolf

No, I was not born premature, nor was I born with a low birth weight. I was a large, mostly healthy baby boy. I was a c-section, and I was told that I was blue when I was first born, I'm guessing because I was being strangled by my umbilical cord. Great way to start life, with a noose already around my neck.

Anyway, I was also a colicky baby, if that means anything, but for the most part I was a happy child until bad things started happening in my life. It probably didn't help that I had bad parents who never taught me anything or paid attention to me.

snarrylover

I was 2 days early. I don't think there's a link despite what studies show. Professionals can find links for anything if they look for the right thing and talk to the right people. I believe it's down to how the people in our lives treat us and how well we cope.

TheLoneWolf

I do hope this is bullshit my son was born 4 weeks early and my daughter was 6 weeks early.
Well, I'm living proof that you can still be depressed and maladjusted even if you weren't born premature. Most studies only succeed in supporting statistics, and people aren't statistics. How you raise your children and the kind of life they have will play a much bigger role in their emotional health over time than when and how they were born.

lav11

i was born 1 month late and c-section
Ive thus attempted suicide more times then i can count and have been depressed for well over half my life..

I did hear on another documentry in my psychology class that people who were born through c-section were more likely to be depressed, because child birth is also traumatising for the baby they learn to cope with this trauma very quickly while children born via c-section did not have to go throough this trauma and did not learn how to cope with it as a baby or something along those lines... not sure if i believe it but i think it comes back to the "if the bad times werent bad, the good times wouldnt be good"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$145.00
Goal
$255.00