How many of you suffer from social phobia ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wanttodie

I would like to know because I have seen many ppl suffering from social phobia here. i wonder if theres a correlation between sp and suicidal tendencies ?

aloner

I wouldn't say I have a phobia of social situations. They don't scare me. I just hate most people because they are ignorant, shallow, and self-absorbed. So I tend to avoid social environments to avoid annoyance and confrontation.

I can see why social phobias would lead to suicidal thoughts though. If you truely want to interact with people but are unable to because of fear that is a pretty depressing situation to be in.

justgettinby

I definitely dislike being around big groups of people. I always feel isolated and awkward. I hate the feeling. Haha, but also like aloner, I dislike most people that I actually do talk to because they're annoying or ignorant.

M

MrDepressed

I definetly have some for of social phobia, I have a very small base of friends and the only reason I stay in contact with them is, 1 I live with, the other I have on msn, and the other is my gf and we have children together... I find social situations exhausting, and I hate the anxiety that comes when confronted with annoyance and shallow people.. but I got thinking that maybe its my approach of where I chose to go, so I am gonna try a yoga course once I can scrape together the money to do so. There have been times I was invited to a social outing, and I intended to go, even got to the location then feeling totally unable to get out of the vehicle, even thinking about going into the place I felt like vomitting all over.
I do think isolation can increase a suicidal persons ideation of suicide, but I dont think it is the root cause for most people.

pit

I've always hung out with my small group of friends and that's it. I'm very careful about who I hang out with. I've never dated for the sake of meeting anyone new. I've never gone to parties full of strangers just for the chance to socialize. I maintain the relationships I already have, which aren't many. So, I am alone most of the time as a result. And you guys are right, most people are ignorant and annoying. I'm sick of all the godamn conversations about sports and crap.

FoReVeR LoSt

I hate being social...lately the only times that I am social is when I'm either drunk and/or stoned. I get very scared and shy when there are a lot of ppl around. I tend to stay in the corner and be quiet as a mouse. I remember one day @ work there were a few co-workers talking to me and I started to tell a story, they were watching me, my face went bright red and I couldn't speak :unsure: It was so embarrassing and after all I could think of was "wow, nice one samy" for fucksakes...:blink: So I would say that ya, I suffer from sp

G

ggg456

I suppose I'm socially anxious yes, in terms of social skills, or that I've had bad experiences with friends in the past. I have a variable stutter and I've used that as a 'test'- if someone knows I have a stutter and still wants to get to know me or is attracted to me I think- this person must like me a lot :laugh:. I just feel a huge block between me and other people and I feel completely alienated from them. I'd love to just go and meet people and talk to them purely out of wanting to study them at a distance but I don't know. Although once I'm with someone- I'm not shy at all- that's when they start to have to deal with my, as my girlfriend puts it, "melodrama" - although I don't like fights or arguments or things like that. :no:

:smile:

Last edited:

LostMyMind

I'm not social at all and always feel out of place in all social occasions. I sometimes feel a bit panicky when there are large groups of people around. I have no social skills. :sad:

rojomi

Banned Member
Was going to post earlier today on this. Recently, someone posted a link to a social anxiety 'test'. I took it, answered the questions honestly and scored in the range that indicated I didn't have it. But, I do-or some form of it. Went out w/ a friend tonight to a bar, and didn't feel especially anxious. I was bored and tho i spoke to a few people, it sucked other than it got me out of the hs. plus i spoke to somebody that went to the Detroit auto show this weekend.
That was the ONLY thing of interest, the rest was bullshit & games. for whatever reason, i have a short fuse & limited patience w/ shiny happy people

I have sufferED from social phobia and let it control my life to a much to big extent. I feel I've pretty much passed the worst part of it now though, through confronting "difficult situations" Instead of hiding. Seems to work for me, but I guess that depends on how badly you're controlled by it ? *has no clue*

i suffer from it as well. but mine is taken a step farther and i cant help but to think everyone hates me and is judging me constantly. im scared to talk to poeple half of the time. some days worse than others. some days i dont even leave the house, i just stay in my room.even when im with my friends i cant relax..-_-

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$70.00
Goal
$255.00