How many of you suffer from social phobia ?

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by wanttodie, Jan 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wanttodie

wanttodie Well-Known Member

I would like to know because I have seen many ppl suffering from social phobia here. i wonder if theres a correlation between sp and suicidal tendencies ?
  2. forlorn

forlorn Staff Alumni

Anything that isolates you makes you suicidal
  3. aloner

aloner Active Member

I wouldn't say I have a phobia of social situations. They don't scare me. I just hate most people because they are ignorant, shallow, and self-absorbed. So I tend to avoid social environments to avoid annoyance and confrontation.

I can see why social phobias would lead to suicidal thoughts though. If you truely want to interact with people but are unable to because of fear that is a pretty depressing situation to be in.
  4. justgettinby

justgettinby Well-Known Member

I definitely dislike being around big groups of people. I always feel isolated and awkward. I hate the feeling. Haha, but also like aloner, I dislike most people that I actually do talk to because they're annoying or ignorant.
  5. MrDepressed

MrDepressed Guest

I definetly have some for of social phobia, I have a very small base of friends and the only reason I stay in contact with them is, 1 I live with, the other I have on msn, and the other is my gf and we have children together... I find social situations exhausting, and I hate the anxiety that comes when confronted with annoyance and shallow people.. but I got thinking that maybe its my approach of where I chose to go, so I am gonna try a yoga course once I can scrape together the money to do so. There have been times I was invited to a social outing, and I intended to go, even got to the location then feeling totally unable to get out of the vehicle, even thinking about going into the place I felt like vomitting all over.
    I do think isolation can increase a suicidal persons ideation of suicide, but I dont think it is the root cause for most people.
  6. pit

pit Well-Known Member

I've always hung out with my small group of friends and that's it. I'm very careful about who I hang out with. I've never dated for the sake of meeting anyone new. I've never gone to parties full of strangers just for the chance to socialize. I maintain the relationships I already have, which aren't many. So, I am alone most of the time as a result. And you guys are right, most people are ignorant and annoying. I'm sick of all the godamn conversations about sports and crap.
  7. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

i definitely have social phobia lol,
  8. FoReVeR LoSt

FoReVeR LoSt Well-Known Member

I hate being social...lately the only times that I am social is when I'm either drunk and/or stoned. I get very scared and shy when there are a lot of ppl around. I tend to stay in the corner and be quiet as a mouse. I remember one day @ work there were a few co-workers talking to me and I started to tell a story, they were watching me, my face went bright red and I couldn't speak :unsure: It was so embarrassing and after all I could think of was "wow, nice one samy" for fucksakes...:blink: So I would say that ya, I suffer from sp
  9. ggg456

ggg456 Guest

I suppose I'm socially anxious yes, in terms of social skills, or that I've had bad experiences with friends in the past. I have a variable stutter and I've used that as a 'test'- if someone knows I have a stutter and still wants to get to know me or is attracted to me I think- this person must like me a lot :laugh:. I just feel a huge block between me and other people and I feel completely alienated from them. I'd love to just go and meet people and talk to them purely out of wanting to study them at a distance but I don't know. Although once I'm with someone- I'm not shy at all- that's when they start to have to deal with my, as my girlfriend puts it, "melodrama" - although I don't like fights or arguments or things like that. :no:

Last edited: Jan 27, 2008
  10. LostMyMind

LostMyMind Well-Known Member

I'm not social at all and always feel out of place in all social occasions. I sometimes feel a bit panicky when there are large groups of people around. I have no social skills. :sad:
  11. rojomi

rojomi Banned Member

Was going to post earlier today on this. Recently, someone posted a link to a social anxiety 'test'. I took it, answered the questions honestly and scored in the range that indicated I didn't have it. But, I do-or some form of it. Went out w/ a friend tonight to a bar, and didn't feel especially anxious. I was bored and tho i spoke to a few people, it sucked other than it got me out of the hs. plus i spoke to somebody that went to the Detroit auto show this weekend.
    That was the ONLY thing of interest, the rest was bullshit & games. for whatever reason, i have a short fuse & limited patience w/ shiny happy people
  12. Kyon

Kyon New Member

I have sufferED from social phobia and let it control my life to a much to big extent. I feel I've pretty much passed the worst part of it now though, through confronting "difficult situations" Instead of hiding. Seems to work for me, but I guess that depends on how badly you're controlled by it ? *has no clue*
  13. An Angel in Black

An Angel in Black Well-Known Member

i suffer from it as well. but mine is taken a step farther and i cant help but to think everyone hates me and is judging me constantly. im scared to talk to poeple half of the time. some days worse than others. some days i dont even leave the house, i just stay in my room.even when im with my friends i cant relax..-_-
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.