How many people here actually understand Depression?

agwoodliffe

I mean like fully understand it. A lot of people have this misconception that we all feel depressed or even suicidal at some point in our lives.
Personally I think this is nonsense. Depression is a severe form of negative feeling that blurs your whole way of thinking.

Taking myself as an example: I am constantly convinced there are so many things wrong with me. Then people would tell me I only think this because I feel depressed.
I didn't agree, because I thought I was depressed because I had so many things wrong with me. But now I am starting to think it is actually the other way around.
What made me start to rethink this is that I've seen people with much more severe problems than me, like ADHD, autism, and schizophrenia, and yet they didn't have HALF the insecurities I do.
The girl with autism took the cake, because she was very outgoing, very sociable, and very confident about herself. She didn't care about having autism.
None of them cared about their disorders. The only one that did (apparently) was me.

Thing is, I was always aware there was such a thing as 'depression', but I never really understood it, like properly. And I don't think a lot of users on this forum do either, or else they wouldn't be blaming themselves for faults they probably don't have.

Last edited:

Paisley

SF Artist
SF Supporter
It's a slow process. Some do understand that, some are almost at that realization, and a lot don't understand that yet.

Depression skews your perception of everything, yourself included, so it can take a while to figure out if your insecurities are legitimate or if they're just a fabrication of your mental state. And it's especially hard to have that breakthrough when you're convinced your self hatred is purely logical, and that not being so hard on yourself would be irrational.

I struggle with this myself. Although I am aware that depression clouds my judgement, I've been thinking this way for so long that discerning the lies from the truth can be very challenging.

MarvelFan

Vanity of Vanities
Ok everyone reacts differently to different mental problems and the symptoms can reflect differently. As you say the autistic girl seemed well sociable.

I have depression and my mother was manic depressive. Depression is like a rollercoaster of up and down feeling and with those feeling comes negative thoughts.

"ADHD, autism, and schizophrenia"

I will give examples of those because they are different but also have some simliar symptoms.

My friends son is the happest kid in the world with ADHD but gets into trouble at school because he doesn't listen, he also goes through all our cabinets and cannot stop moving.

I hired a guy who had Autism and even though he did a great job at work when people had problems at work all he would talk about was his xbox.

I have Schizophrenia, PTSD and OCD, so I do not only dwell on the past because of my PTSD I have to change my socks 3 times in the morning to make sure they match because of my OCD also I have intrusive thoughts and also have to wash my hands 10-15 times a day. The Schizophrenia makes me hear voices and things inside and outside my head that are not real and also I see things that are not real.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$70.00
Goal
$255.00