How many people know that you have depression?

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by Hurted, Mar 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hurted

Hurted Well-Known Member

In my case...
    I told everyon in school, all my friends in school know it,....

But my other friends.... noone know... they wouldnt care a lot... or they would hurt me by saying its all in your head...

2. martijn

martijn Active Member

Let's see.. My mom, the people my mom told about my depression (which are.. three I think), three friends I chose to tell myself and my girlfriend. There's only one of those that I feel comfortable talking to, though. Oh, and my psychiatrist and other involved professionals, obviously.

I have only actively chosen to tell four people about my depression, though my mom has trouble respecting that and wants to tell the whole family, and it wouldn't surprise me if some more friends knew about it. I suppose it kinda shows..

3. Someone

Someone Active Member

You told everyone in your school? Was that hard?

No one knows, Im all by myself with it. I dont see myself telling anyone about it, especially my parents.. I just guess I'm scared of the reactions? I feel that I might be seen as a let down or dissapointment

4. Pensive

Pensive Well-Known Member

For me it was my friends who approached me and said I should seek help after almost failing university and going off the rails, and there was 5 lived in that house where I used to call around to regular, then a few other close friends and a few people at work because I needed to take time off because it got so stressful working with my black dog :sad: As for my current work, no-one knows there, although I've been debating about telling my boss.

As for my parents, they'd never understand about it, so I can't tell them. People say they probably would but they have behind the times views of mental health problems and would react badly.

5. dazzle11215

dazzle11215 Staff Alumni

my friends (wrote about it on my blog and asked them for support); my dad doesn't know; my sister knows, but not a great deal. i don't think she truly understands... and i haven't enlightened her about the depths of my sadness,

c

6. nagisa

nagisa Chat & Forum Buddy Staff Alumni

Some of my family and a few friends.

7. ggg456

ggg456 Guest

everybody knows when i'm awaaaay i can't hide it when i am :laugh: i get scared outside on myself though i prefer someone with me .

8. sithspit

sithspit Well-Known Member

Only my old counsellor, who I don't see anymore. My mom knew, but she cried so much I convinced her I wasn't. I darn't not tell anyone.

9. ColdSummer

ColdSummer Well-Known Member

Erh, why wiuld you tell the whole school?:blink:
    No one in real life knows (apart from my doc and psychologists) , only my online friends, unfortunately :dry:

10. ggg456

ggg456 Guest

Your signature is just too much for my eyes.. :laugh:

11. theleastofthese

theleastofthese SF Friend Staff Alumni

my whole family, some of whom chastize me for having such "negative" thoughts... go figure. So I just tell them to fuck off. Of course, that doesn't endear me to them... no shit... so i have to be delicate in reminding them that in depression there ARE NO POSITIVES... that's why they call it "depression"... duh....:dry:

12. Bigman2232

Bigman2232 Well-Known Member

I think only one person actually knows that I'm depressed. Anyone else just sees me as my angry self.

I've had my mom yell at me "what the hell do you have to be depressed about?"

13. perry_mason

perry_mason Well-Known Member

I had to 'confess' to a few people because they knew something was up with me. i really wish i never said anything. nobody in my family knows.

14. bleach

bleach Well-Known Member

some may have figured it out, but i told no one

15. ScouseJM

ScouseJM Well-Known Member

My boyfriend..ex boyfriend sorry... one of the people Im stayin with but I dont think she understands that it is a real illness and what exactly it means..she knows I have been diagnosed with it but I dont think she knows what any of the symptoms are/what Ive really got etc.. one of my old friends that I recently visited once but we're not really much in touch anymore.. And my doctor obviously.. Only two of these people though know about my attempt and self harm.. which would be my ex and my doctor..

16. famous.last.words

famous.last.words Forum Buddy

Only my boyfriend. Im pretty good at avoiding everyone / faking a smile the rest of the time.

17. Abacus21

Abacus21 Staff Alumni

A friend or two, folks at Sams, family - and my doctor knows how I've been feeling. Not been diagnosed with it though.

18. InnerStrength

InnerStrength Well-Known Member

My parents keep suggesting that I am, but instead of helping me, they heap more burdens on me (unintentionally maybe, but still). I'm glad I'll be moving out soon.

19. Spearmint

Spearmint Well-Known Member

Parents, brother, five of my closest friends(they guessed,) my counselor, my psychiatrist, that's about it. Oh, and my Auntie Debs. :yes: But that's because my mother told her. :dry:

20. voices_inmy_head

voices_inmy_head Well-Known Member

my mum knows i have depression, I dont think she realises I am a manic depressive though, and my best friend the same.

I dont think anyone realises I suffer from manic depression

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.