How many suicides happen here?

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by isolated, Sep 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. isolated

isolated Member

This is a very intense "life or death" website. People can actually die here.
    Does anyone know how many people on this website end up taking their
    own lives, and how many are dissuaded from doing so?

How effective is this website in preventing suicides? Does it ever have
    the opposite effect of "pushing" someone to attempt suicide as a result
    of reading about other people doing it?
  2. themute

themute Active Member

Maybe it's a mix. But I think this site is really, really helpful because at least people who feel suicidal have a place where they can connect with people who know what they're going through. I've found in my own life that barely anyone I know actually understand at all what it feels like to have anxiety, depression and suicidal feelings. But at least people here do, and I find that comforting.
  3. StevenSiew

StevenSiew Well-Known Member

Do I know many people here (this website) that has taken their life?
    No I do not. But while I am/was/has been here, I did notice a few people that
    has taken their life.

So this website is not perfect. People are not perfect. I am not perfect.

I did realised that while I was here that even if I die, nothing changes for me.
    So I am still here, well my body is still here maybe my spirit is dead.

Don't worry everyone dies. The question is what do you want to do before you die.
    Perhaps the best thing the website can help you with is to deal with the reality that you face.
  4. pickwithaustin

pickwithaustin Staff Alumni

Because this site is, for the most part, anonymous... I don't think there could ever be any accurate statistic gathered to answer your queistioln with any degree of accuracy. Is it safe to say that there is more of a chance of someone dying from suicide on this forum vs. a forum for hot rods or music, yes of course. The very topic of this site lends toward that, but at the same time it is being discovered even more solidly these days that PEER SUPPORT is one of the strongest forms of treatment and therapy for individuals with mental health issues, so I would venture to say that SF does a lot of good for people who are seeking positive solutions to their issues. Add to that, by my objective observations, that this site is run very well by management, I think the chances of reducing potential suicide incidents as a result of participation on this site is far greater than the opposite.
  5. flowers

flowers Senior Member

I agree with what some of the others have said. Because of the nature of this website, of course there are going to be people who suicide. This website is run and managed with more heart and caring than any other website I have been to. And believe me, I have been to many.

Perhaps the question I would more like to address is how many people have been helped to not suicide because of joining this community. I do read the words of many who say that coming here has made it so they can hold on. Or coming here has changed their mind about taking their life.... either for now, or indefinitely. I have never met more caring and kind people as who manage this community. This is what first impressed me about Suicide Forum. And it continues, 4 years later, to be what I find most impressive. So yes, I have known of 2 people here who did succeed. I have known scores of people, conservatively counting, who have changed their mind. Or are holding on, day by day because they have found some relief from the isolation and pain that was too much to bear alone.
  6. Witty_Sarcasm

Witty_Sarcasm Writer, Musician, Fun Lover, Magic Maker

It's as effective as any other kind of help, and it all depends on how you deal with everything. I know that people have died even since I've joined, and it always makes me very sad, even if I didn't know them at all. But I don't think it triggers other people to commit, since we are already suicidal. I know that when I do it, it will be due to everything that's happened in my life as a whole. I think the site is pretty helpful and it does make you feel less alone.
  7. mpang123

mpang123 Well-Known Member

I have finally found a site specifically for me to vent my suicidal ideations and know that I will have support without being threatened by authorities that may overreact and panic when i disclose something that disturbs them. I feel safe here and I never need to call the crisis line anymore. Without this forum I probably would have ended in the psych hospital by now and be very depressed. I thank God for discovering this site cuz it has literally saved my life.
  8. pickwithaustin

pickwithaustin Staff Alumni

There you go. What an excellent testimonial and, I doubt it is the only of it's kind.
    (and good going, mpang123)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.