How much do grave stones cost

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by sadcat, May 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sadcat

sadcat Well-Known Member

I am so sad today.

Can anyone tell me how much it costs for a grave plot?
    And a grave stone.

Do they charge extra for digging the hole?
    Who pays for the grave-side prayer thing?
    I am so worried.

What if I do not have enough money for the funeral?
    Will they just leave me laying on top of the grave plot?

Does anyone have some thoughts on this matter?
    I am so sad and worried.

My doctor told me I cannot possibly survive for month.
    SO I did not pay him.
    Well, next month I went back to see him anyway -
    He gave me another month.

I am not trying to be mean.
    I am terribly sad and upset.
    Sometimes that leaves nothing but humor.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2012
  2. Sadeyes

Sadeyes Staff Alumni

This sounds so sad...I hope you will reach out to people here and so that you know we want much more for you to be above ground with us...please PM me if I can be there for you

3. pickwithaustin

pickwithaustin Staff Alumni

I don't want to answer this, but let me anyways. My neighbor's mother recently passed away. I was talking to him yesterday while helping him clear a tree that had fallen on his roof due to some recent wind storms we had here. He said his mom asked for the bare minimum - cheap wood box, etc. I don't like talking about this, by the way, but I wanted you to know. He said that the whole thing ended up costing over $14,000 (U.S. dollars). There were no services or extra "frills," just the things you mentioned above. Expensive for even the bare minimum... I guess that is why they plan all those life insurance commercials on daytime TV when they expect senior citizens are sitting around home, retired, watching the old movies or talk shows.

Why not find a reason to fight? If we can find a reason to root for your wellness, then there must be some value to you, right? I know it's hard when things are down... BELIEVE ME I am living through things no parent should ever have to experience. I'm fighting every day for strength. Join me in the fight and hang in.

4. TheLoneWolf

TheLoneWolf Well-Known Member

I don't know how much a grave plot or tombstone costs. If it were up to me, I would have neither one. They can just dump me in a landfill for all I care.

Sorry, I don't mean to be so negative. I did chuckle a little at your joke. Sometimes laughter really is the best medicine.

Serious answer: funerals are expensive. I don't know why, but they are. It all seems like kind of a waste of money to me, after all it's just a body, and a dead one at that. Even if we are of the belief that every life is precious and that every loss should be mourned, that still doesn't seem to justify buying a giant box and cluttering up valuable real estate with dead bodies that are just going to rot away anyway. The essence of who we are is in our hearts, minds, and souls, not our body. A dead body is just an organic shell that no longer contains life. Why treat it with such reverence? I guess it's something I'll never understand.

Anyway, there are kinds of life insurance that will cover burial and funeral costs, though I'm fairly certain they don't cover suicides. Something to keep in mind. Suicide is never the best option, though I fully understand why people do it.

I hope you cheer up. Nobody likes to see a sad cat.

5. pickwithaustin

Correct. Life insurance does not cover suicide related.
    How we treat the body of a loved one who has diseased is no different than how we treat that of anything we care about or love. We do the same for our pets (at least many of us do), and we care even about possessions that we have. An example, I was selling a car that was special to me at one time and I didn't want it to go to a bad owner. When I saw how someone treated it on their test drive before the purchase, I turned down their offer to buy it. I sold it to someone else who came and had that glow in their face and that twinkle in their eye for it. I knew they would take care of it. I wanted it to be taken care of because it was something that I had cared very much about... and that was just an object. The caring for a loved one goes even further.

6. Crue-K

Crue-K Well-Known Member

7. BrinkOfExistence

BrinkOfExistence Well-Known Member

I'm probably going to come off as a horrible person to some people for saying this but i think grave stones/yards are a complete waste of space i know it's somewhere to mourn your deceased loved ones but i think looking at pictures are so much better than looking at a stone slab, i loved my grandma alot yet i've only ever been to her gravestone once and i said i'm never going again because it fucking depressing however when i see pictures of her it makes happy. I think it should be mandatory for everyone to donate their bodies to medicine and science after they die, especially organs. I'd rather have my dead body potentially save another's life than rot in the ground taking up space, what they do with my body after they finished with it? i couldn't care less i'd be dead and wouldn't know anyway. Actually i really should find out how to donate my body because i haven't done it yet and i could ending up dying tomorrow for all i know.

Plus i imagine donating your body would save you a ton of money.

8. sadcat

sadcat Well-Known Member

I think that is a great idea.
    If we all donate our bodies - the state will be overwhelmed with too many bodies.
    Perhaps then they will start making food more healthy so we will not die so soon.

9. BrinkOfExistence

BrinkOfExistence Well-Known Member

Ah you're right they would be overwhelmed with bodies, scrap that idea then.

10. Moat

Moat Banned Member

And where do the bodies go after they have been poked, prodded and cut up by medical students?
    More healthy food plans is a nice idea, but think about the long term effect: we already have over population of the planet so longer life spans would result in excessive population booms = famine, disease, wars et cetera. Where do you put the bodies then? Unmarked holes in the ground.
    I will stick with my own want of a 'funeral' - throw my lifeless corpse off a cliff in the ocean and let the fish have at me. After all, fish need to eat as well as worms.

11. pickwithaustin

Cremation is the simple answer to everyone's "where do you put the bodies" dilemma. Giving the government the power to require bodies to be donated would simply make this world more miserable and only increase suicidal tendencies. Most life insurance policies spell out "accidental death." People who care about their loved ones do not generally wish to think about their bodies being chopped up for experiments or used for other mutilation purposes. I would not want that to happen to the body of anyone that I care about. Healthy eating is not the responsibility of the government - "we" control our own lives. I have been a strict vegetarian for over 30 years and consider that healthy eating that the government did not need to mandate or control for me.

12. jb225

jb225 Member

Can't you just say it in your note?

13. sadcat

sadcat Well-Known Member

What do you wnat to say in your note?

hey - chop me up and use me for fertilizer, or fish food, or worm food.

use my parts to patch up some other fool who didn't go up high enough to finish the job?

use me for experiments and then just throw me into a ravene.

take your pick.

14. Gypsy_Girl

Gypsy_Girl Active Member

i told my parents to cremate me when i die... save money and space...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.