How Much do you try new types of SI

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by ThornThatNeverHeals, Feb 7, 2012.

How open are you to New types of SI?

1. I know all the forms of SI out there it seems, i dont need any more

2. I'm always looking for new methods

3. I try many new methods dont seem to like more than a couple though

4. I only keep to a few methods

5. I only keep to one method

6. I dont try new methods

7. I dont SI

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ThornThatNeverHeals

ThornThatNeverHeals Well-Known Member

Are you open to trying new types? Do you try to avoid it at all, or learning new methods? Please tell us here, and give a comment explaining down below. Please do not share ways to SI though.
  2. Fredericks

Fredericks Well-Known Member

Whoops. I listed a shitton of methods.

I chose "I know them all"--probably untrue, but I was into a massive range of SI methods a few years ago. Narrowed now.
  3. Witty_Sarcasm

Witty_Sarcasm Writer, Musician, Fun Lover, Magic Maker

there's only one I really do because I'm scared to try other ones.
  4. detest

detest Banned Member

I've restricted myself to only two types of SI.

The first would be the obvious, cutting - I only cut so as to draw blood, I never go too deep.

I punch myself in the head to make myself cry - because crying feels so good.
  5. Growing Pains

Growing Pains Well-Known Member

I confess, I'm not afraid to experiment and have been getting bolder. I do, however, stick to my main two methods more-so. I definitely have my preferences.
  6. aao

aao Well-Known Member

I hit myself in the head. Very hard. I don't know if that counts. Whatever.
  7. Anju

Anju Well-Known Member

Aao, that certainly does count in my opinion.

I am fairly certain I know *most* if not all the methods there are out there from a combination of studying them and doing them. But I tend to stick to my favourites, so to speak.
  8. Chocolate Heartache

Chocolate Heartache Active Member

The last time I 'tried' a new method, it landed me in hospital. That was months ago and I'm still seeing a nurse three times a week to have the dressings changed - I wasn't suitable for a skin graft, so they left it open and try to keep it infection free. The edges have healed, but the centre is dead tissue and I'm not physically fit for surgery to remove it.

For now I just stick to cutting on a 'safe' body part where can't cause internal damage. I was a psychiatrist, so I've seen most conceivable kinds of self-harm, but I'm also fairly 'innovative' - when I look at an object or substance I can see how it could be used to hurt me, when most people would probably just see the object.
  9. poster2747

poster2747 Member

I didn't participate in the poll because it did not cover my situation.

I have never tried new methods but am open to trying them.

My self harm comes in the form of explosive anger, physically attacking myself leaving bruises and marks.
    It is explosive and I would like to release my anger in a way that is not explosive, but helps with the pain.
  10. poster2747

poster2747 Member

Yes it does.
    Thats one of the things I do too.
    Hitting a head is harmful, hitting your own head is self-harmful
  11. Deadtwice

Deadtwice Well-Known Member

I cut mainly bt when I lose my temper. I beat my head hard on thing till I'm tired. There are many other things I have tried but not near as often as the the first two.
  12. muse1001

muse1001 Well-Known Member

I don't SI. I mean, sometimes when angry I'll hit myself, but that's really as far as it goes. No cutting or anything like that.
  13. Cariad_Bach

Cariad_Bach Staff Alumni

I am often surprised to discover a new way someone self-harms, and I am also often surprised to find that some of the things I do are classed as self-harm.

If I am aware of what I'm doing, then I will always tend to the one method, but if I am unaware and just acting without forethought I will do whatever it feels like, if that makes sense.

There are more and less dangerous methods, I think, but I don't think I ever plan or avoid self-harming because of the danger - it is more about emotional release and 'the moment'.

P.S. I also haven't voted as none of the options seem to fit this.
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 28, 2012
  14. Lone_Wolf

Lone_Wolf Well-Known Member

I use cutting mainly but when im mad at myself its like idk, like i feel like there is another side of me that comes out and i end up saying all types of things to myself and hit myself until i bruise or just feel intense pain. i also hit my head into the wall until i start to get dizzy to the point my head is pounding, im dizzy and crying. I've bit myself, burned, and ODed before.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.