How much is too much

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by Shauna Lea, Sep 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shauna Lea

Shauna Lea Staff Alumni

Emotionally I've been doing well lately. Very well considering how busy I am! I'm doing my job plus acting in another at work (a coordinating role so it's very time consuming). There is after hours and weekend work. I'm enjoying it but at the same time can't wait until they recruit someone else. I'm also at uni 3 nights a week. I got my first assessments back and got 90% on one and 96% on the other. So I'm doing well but I don't know if I can keep it up with this amount of stress and pressure. My sister is in hospital in Sydney (3 hours away) so I'm travelling back and forth to Sydney every weekend as her partner is away on work. She's in an eating disorder clinic and I love being involved but it's just one more thing on my plate. My ex boyfriend/partner/'i dont even know what he is anymore' relies on me for a lot of things. He had a really bad car crash a year ago and still doesn't drive again so I take him to work and pick him up. I take him a lot of places (when I have the time) and help him out money wise as well if he needs it because he has to pay a lot of money for the accident. My best friend of 16 years has just broken up with her boyfriend and has moved back home. She doesn't like being at home and I have offered for her to stay at my house but I'm hardly there so I feel like I'm not supporting her enough. I wish I could call her more often and see her more often and help her through it but I just don't have the time! She's feeling really depressed and being a past/present sufferer I know how much you just want someone to reach out and give you a hug every now and then! I also play sport 3 days a week whcih is something I love and is a way of getting out anxious energy so that's not something I want to give up.

I just feel like I have so much on my shoulders! I want to hold it all up but I'm weakening and I'm afraid that one day I'm going to crash and bring it all down with me! I don't know how much is too much!!!

2. Spearmint

Spearmint Well-Known Member

Hey, Shaunapants, sounds like you have a LOT going on at the moment. Honestly, it seems like you're trying to help everyone with everything, and while it's good to help people, you need to make sure that you don't get run down. Take a break for yourself every once in a while, okay? If you start thinking that you have too much to do, then you DO have too much going on, and that's not good for you. I'm around if you need anything. :hug:

3. itmahanh

itmahanh Senior Member & Antiquities Friend

Hun when you stop to ask how much is too much, then I think you have found your limit. Now you need to take time to priorities the things in your life and try to find time just for you. If you dont, then the rest wont matter because you wont be able to take care of any of it. Dont try to take things off the plate but rather try to move them around so that you can balance it better before it topples to the floor. Good luck and please remember yourself in this hectic schedule of yours!!!

4. Dave_N

Dave_N Guest

Congratulations on doing so well on your assessments Shauna. And I think it's awesome that you can find the time to manage all of the things that you're involved in. You're like Superwoman. But just take on more than you can handle. We're only human and can only handle so much. Remember to leave time for yourself in your hectic schedule. :hug:

5. Shauna Lea

Shauna Lea Staff Alumni

Thanks for your replies guys!

I went to basketball last night and felt like I was about to snap just because I was so stressed. The same thing happened this morning just because I counld't find a park for a few minutes.

I need some time off but I have too much to do and I know it will have multiplied 100 times by the time I get back.

I'm so scared of failing and letting people down!!!

6. itmahanh

itmahanh Senior Member & Antiquities Friend

The first person you have to worry about failing is yourself Shauna! Cuz once you fall apart you wont be able to do and help those around you. It is so easy to get caught up in the Super Woman Syndrome. It starts off small and innocent enough. But before you realize it, you are fighting a mountain of a mole hill. You have to learn to be able to say no so that those around you learn to say ok. And the things that you cant say no to, you have to learn to delegate out to others to help lessen the load. Ever see the CEO of a huge company looking stressed or even spend more than a usual 8 hour day at the office (lol)? It's hard, very hard when your heart and soul are in the right place. Your friends and family should understand and are already probably saying " that girl has to slow down." Good luck hun!

7. Oak

Oak Senior Member & Antiquities Friend

true. when you ask yourself that fatal question, you've arrived to the 'its time to stop' type thing and make changes and take a deep breath and break.

i'm with itmahanah on this one

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.