How much medications really help you?

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by morfea, Nov 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. morfea

morfea Antiquities Friend

Have they stopped your suicide plans and thoughts? Are they making your life at least bearable? Did they make any difference at all? I find psycho-therapy very helpful but no talking can make my suicide wish go away, it helps me quite a lot with social anxiety, but it doesn't seem to have any effect on the depression. Nor do the meds. Thank you all for sharing your experience here.

2. History

History Well-Known Member

for almost a year, i had extreme suicidal thoughts and feelings which incapacitated me. Was prescribed many anti-depressants and none worked. well, how could anti-depressants take away my suicidal urges when my problem is the hopeless situation that I am in. Everyday, it seems like I'll be committing suicide in the next few days. The urges were simply too strong and I simply had to die. Finally my doc 're-prescribed' me Effexor XR, an ad which did not work for me in the past,, and the next day, the extreme suicidal feelings and urges were gone. For a week, I felt totally normal again and was estatic that I can feel normal again. Then after a week, I plunged back into deep depression (which I am currently in now). Although the suicidal thoughts and feelings went away, I'm still severely depressed. My dosage has been upped to 150mg and I'm feeling like a zombie for the past few days but I'll continue taking it in hope that my depression will lift. ADs can take away suicidal thoughts and feelings although it doesnt solve your real life problems. I now think that real life events do trigger depression but when depression happens, it will cause chemical changes in your brain that makes you feel much much worse.

3. fromthatshow

fromthatshow Staff Alumni

Therapy helps pretty well. Medications helped with the physical effects of depression and anxiety such as sleeplessness and shaking. But besides those two things they haven't helped. I still feel suicidal.

4. Little_me

Little_me Well-Known Member

Medication has helped me a lot, but of course it hasn't cured me. I'm still sitting here depressed... :cry:
    It didn't help to be on 7 different at the same time, just some had effect.

I'm alive though...

5. Pilko

Pilko Active Member

I'm in my 3rd week of zoloft and although I feel different in so far as it feels like a fog in the background. I was ok in the 2nd week but now as I have entered the 4th the suicidal feelings just won't go away.

6. Godsdrummer

Godsdrummer Guest

You might need a different med?

7. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

My meds(citalopram) don't help my anxiety at all even though they're supposed to :unsure: I think it did help my depression at first, therapy helped me overcome depression(for the most part anyway), they just don't work at all now :( and my doctor refuses to change them.

8. Mortal Moon

Mortal Moon Well-Known Member

Interesting. I'm also on citalopram and, as far as I can tell, it ain't doin' jack.

9. Crue-K

Crue-K Well-Known Member

None of my meds alleviate suicidal feelings, I take Lithium, Seroquel & Lamotrigine. I'm unable to take an antidepressant as it makes me manic. So many times I stopped taking my meds so I become 'me' again, but I always relapse within 2 weeks.

10. morfea

morfea Antiquities Friend

I've been on citalopram as well, 4 months now, no change, everything's the same as before, even worse some 2, 3 weeks ago. My doctor also doesn't want to change them, says it take least 6 months to see the real effects. I don't understand why so long. I googled it and there are so many different opinions I don't know what to think any more.

11. AlexDanish

AlexDanish Account Closed

I'm really only on Ativan for anxiety. But other than that, no...

12. ballinluig

ballinluig Well-Known Member

after trying most things over 16 years-

i take 300mg effexor xl-anti deppresants
    100mg quetiapine-antipsychotics.

plus other meds for high bp,asthma meds, chlosteral meds.

for my depression the effexor at this dose has taken 2 years to work so well. 4 weeks i went down to 225 and within 3 weeks was suicidal again. so back up we go to 300mg again!:IrishDoll:

13. yogurt

yogurt Active Member

I'm on citalopram and bupropion...but it's not working anymore. Time to try something else.

I remember when I was first put on citalopram I felt great for a couple of weeks...then I needed a bump up b/c it wasn't enough. And then another bump. And then add another med.

Ugh. I don't like this but my T thinks it's a bad idea to go off of meds. I'll keep trying.

14. Stranger1

Stranger1 Forum Buddy & Antiquities Friend

I'm on seven different meds for my mental health issues.. For the most part they help..Talk to your pdoc and tell him the problems your having.. He may need to add some meds..Or increase the doseage..The suicidal thoughts you need to talk with a therapist..They can teach you coping skills to deal with the thoughts..

15. gakky1

gakky1 Well-Known Member

I'm on 3 kinds of meds for my depression, think they help cause when I don't take them I really feel so low, but they don't help with my social anxiousness, my paranoid thoughts and compulsive behaviors, when they did switch to help them 24 hours a day all I thought about was hurting/killing myself, got switched back so now I'm wondering if anything will really help or do they just help some things? Probably doesn't make a lot of sense.:what:

16. sinnssykdom

sinnssykdom Banned Member

My meds are ok. I'm better than before i suppose, but not not anywhere near where i want to be. My doctor says i should be on other shit but doesn't trust me to take more than one med unless i go to inpatient care at the hospital for a bit. :\ No thank you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.