How much time has to pass to be a relapse?

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by Purple_Thorn, Feb 11, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Purple_Thorn

Purple_Thorn Well-Known Member

But seriously.

Because I am in this place where I am feeling nothing and want to feel something and pain would be a nice feeling. So you know... I want to cut.

But it's been almost eight weeks, two months, since I last took a blade to my skin.

And now I'm just sitting here almost starting an anxiety attack (it's seriously about to come out) because I don't know if that would be considered a relapse or just a normal day of cutting. I just don't know and I hate not knowing things. Which doesn't make anything better. Because I really do hate not knowing things and I keep coming up with things I don't know. Especially when it comes to something that I KNOW helps me calm down... and I just...

*Some time later*

Wow. Yep. Anxiety attack. Did you see it happen?

TL;DR
    It's been two months since I last cut, if I cut now (I want to) would it be considered a relapse?

2. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

Hi @Purple_Thorn I am really sorry you are going through this, panic attacks are awful. I had one last saturday and nothing helped it, I just had to let it be. I hope you are feeling somewhat better now, if not please post back here again. 2 months free of SH, Yay, well done, that is NOT an easy task at all. I hope you know we are here for you no matter what. sending huge hugs and please don't give in to the monster that is SH. Best of luck to you and know that you aren't alone.

3. Unknown_111

Unknown_111 Forum Buddy Staff Alumni SF Supporter

Hi, I am proud of YOU achieving what you have done so far. Panic attacks are not nice but try breathing exercises as that might help you. Please be strong as you have done so well on not resorting to self harming. Just to let you know I use the elastic band option every time I crumble inside, it's helps me. I might smile but inside I feel like the lonely child crawling through a dark black hole with no light. Like you, l am still trying to find the light, so take comfort you are not alone. Be strong and keep posting.

4. ThePhantomLady

ThePhantomLady Safety and Support SF Supporter

2 months without harming yourself, WOW that is very well done!

Panic attacks are horrible, and a therapist I saw 3 years ago enlightened me that a lot of my own self harm was linked to trying to deal with panic attacks...
    But there are better ways to deal with an attack. I taught myself a breathing technique. I can't promise it works for you though, but part of a panic attack is feeling that you can't breathe... I put my hand on my chest and try to focus on pushing my hand out and in with my breathing.

I have talked my boyfriend through some of his attacks as well... for him the 'grounding' technique seems to work. The idea is something like this:

Find 3 things you can see (I only do one with him...)... slowly describe what it looks like to yourself... round, square, colour?
    Find 3 things you can touch, slowly describe how it feels... soft, hard, cold, warm?
    If you can, find one thing to taste or drink... describe the taste and texture to yourself.

Best of luck on getting better, and again, I'm proud of you for going so long without hurting yourself! *hugs*

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.