How often do you exercise? What do you do and does it make you feel better?

Discussion in 'The Coffee House' started by Aurora Gory Alice, Apr 5, 2010.

Do you get any/enough exercise?

1. Yes. I exercise daily, even if it's just something small. It makes me feel better.

2. No, I barely have the energy to get out of bed, how am I gonna work out?

3. I used to/I want to again/I want to start because I know it'll help.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aurora Gory Alice

Aurora Gory Alice Well-Known Member

My Doctor, the Nurse at my Doctors practice, my mum, friends, colleagues, my brother, friends on SF... everybody has told me getting more exercise will improve my state of mind and make me feel better. And when I was getting regular exercise (once upon a time) I actually did feel better. Not only was I losing weight, I just felt really good all of the time.

Does anybody else agree that exercise can often be it's own anti-depressant?
  2. KittyGirl

KittyGirl Well-Known Member

I personally do yoga and meditation at least once per day- for 20-40 minutes.
    Lately, I haven't felt much of a change in my negative mood, and it makes me feel pretty crappy... I know it should help me- but my mind is so clouded by crap that I can't even meditate in peace.

Yoga is pretty much all that I do. I don't walk much, or do sports.

I swim in the summertime; although last summer I only went a few times.
    I used to swim constantly.
    I should try to do it more often this summer.
  3. IV2010

IV2010 Well-Known Member

try to go for walk every day and i believe it helps...gets rid of some tension and gets those endorphins going...
  4. cookiemonster

cookiemonster Banned Member

i can't really vote on the poll here. i row nearly everyday now. sometimes it makes me feel good and some days it just makes me feel crap and useless. i got told it should make me feel better but it doesn't always
  5. Bambi

Bambi Well-Known Member

I voted yes because my job is very very physical so my upper body gets a real work out however my true exercise program is yoga and belly dancing and I want to get back into it....I highly recommend yoga as it really helps with anxiety and calms the mind....many of have an agitated aspect to our depression and yoga really helps with that.
  6. max0718

max0718 Well-Known Member

When I was used to the routine of getting up early to exercise just before work, it really helped. It's difficult to keep up, but I believe it does help. Also helped me sleep better in the evenings.
  7. wheresmysheep

wheresmysheep Staff Alumni

i used to go to the gym 3 time sa week just before christmas, but the bad weather put me off going, as i had a fear i would fall on the ice, but now i want to get back into it, but i have to get my portfolio out of the way, and i only want a 3month membership
  8. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

When in a high mood I exercise 60+ minutes a day (yoga alternating with dynamic calisthenics, swimming on Thursday). When in a normal mood it's about that every other day (tending to skip yoga preferentially, never skip swimming). When in a low mood I swim once a week for maybe 30 minutes and it's hard to even bike enough to get groceries etc.
  9. plates

plates Well-Known Member

it's a part of my life, not separate from it. cos i need to walk to get food, do my laundry and get stuff. if i'm not walking i just feel a build up of energy that needs to be got out and regular jogging helps yeah, especially if i'm agitated manic anxious too.
  10. cownes

cownes Well-Known Member

everday if i can, swimming is the best form of exercise for me, i would be lost without it, also enjoy walking, hockey and rugby :smile: ow and bench ball hehe
  11. ozbound

ozbound Senior Member & Antiquities Friend

I go to the Gym Monday Through to Friday then if I have any energy left I cycle at the weekends.
  12. fromthatshow

fromthatshow Staff Alumni

I play drums in a band. So I get exercise a couple times a week. But besides that I don't have a lot of energy.
  13. Little_me

Little_me Well-Known Member

Never. I walk puppy but that's it... I feel very uneasy with sports and exercise, as I used to be addicted. If I start running, then I probably would start to care about burning calories again or something
  14. Witty_Sarcasm

Witty_Sarcasm Writer, Musician, Fun Lover, Magic Maker

It probably would make me feel better, if I had the energy to do it.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.