How often do you see your parents?

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by Aurora Gory Alice, Apr 21, 2010.

1. I visit my parent(s) as often as possible, this can be four or more times in a month.

2 vote(s)
  2. I visit my parent(s) at least once a week.

1 vote(s)
  3. I visit my parent(s) at least every two weeks.

1 vote(s)
  4. I visit my parent(s) at least once a month.

3 vote(s)
  5. Special occasions and holidays only (christmas, birthdays, weddings, etc.)

5 vote(s)
  6. I call quite a lot, but I don't see them as often as I would like.

5 vote(s)
  7. I call every now and again as it stops me from having to go visit.

2 vote(s)
  8. I never visit my parent(s).

9 vote(s)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aurora Gory Alice

Aurora Gory Alice Well-Known Member

This is geared towards people who don't live with their parents of course, as I'd imagine most of us who do, see them everyday.

I ask because I cannot wait to move away from my mother and I want to make that happen sooner rather than later, I actually stayed living at home because I needed support during this rough time but if anything she is making things worse.
    I don't want to upset her (go figure, even though we have shitty parents, we still care about them eh) so I will come back and visit on occasion. But I want to know how often and for how long is reasonable, to keep them quiet.
  2. Kaos General

Kaos General Well-Known Member

hmmm i havent seen my dad for the last 9 months.

If they are making you upset and you dont live with them there is no reason why you should have to see them.
  3. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

I'm in regular email contact with them but will likely never see them again.
  4. coffee

coffee Well-Known Member

even I want to see them, they'll reject me.

Fuck them
  5. Ptitz

Ptitz Well-Known Member

My mom calls me a few times a week but dont go see her unless i have to. Like when she needs something fixed up or im broke and want to score some food. And my dad i only see once every couple of years or so because hes in another country.
  6. IV2010

IV2010 Well-Known Member

My parents have both passed away but when they were alive I visited almost every day...they had their faults but did the best they could at the time...
    but they loved me and I loved them....
    it's a hard job being a parent.....
  7. LotusFlower

LotusFlower Antiquities Friend

My mom and I don't talk anymore and I don't see her, which is probably better anyways since I can never do anything right for her.

My dad I saw for the first time in 12 years when my daughter was 3 months old. She is now seven and I have not seen him since.

My parents don't really care about me. Never have. I was never good enough.
  8. Crue-K

Crue-K Well-Known Member

I last saw my Mum in 1992, she still lives in Germany. She decided to stay in East Germany when my Dad took me and my brother and crossed the border in 1988. I visited her the once in 1992 but our relationship is broken and will never be fixed. My dad died April 2009, I hadn't spoken to him for several years prior to that, mainly due to his no acceptance to me being Bipolar. I have no regrets at all.
  9. xan

xan Chat Buddy

where's the... "If my parents want to see me they have to come visit me" option? XP
  10. ~Claire

~Claire Well-Known Member

I haven't seen my Dad in over a year, haven't spoke to him either. It's not that we've fell out we're just bad at keeping in touch. And the longer it gets the more difficult it is. Every 6 months or so I'll get a text from my Stepmum but that's it really.

My Mum I see maybe every 6 weeks or so. Since I left home 5 years ago I can count on one hand how many times she has been to visit me. I try to make the effort by calling & texting but it takes hours sometimes days before she bothers replying to me. The only time I really hear from her is when she needs something. I try not to let it bother me but deep down it does. I always tell myself I should make more of an effort but I can be incredibly stubborn at times.

If you think moving out will be a positive step for you then you should definitely consider it. My sister never had the greatest relationship with my Mum but now that she has her own place they get on so much better & are in contact with each other daily.
  11. mike25

mike25 Well-Known Member

More often than I'd like
  12. mdmefontaine

mdmefontaine Antiquities Friend

...i get along better with my mother, if i don't see her that often, honestly.

she lives in another state, it's a 10 hour drive from me, and i work full time so it's very hard to get away to visit her.

she will come to me, for a week this summer, but i will be working most of the time. it will be great to see her but i will be happy also, when the week is over and i can get back to my routine!
  13. Little_me

Little_me Well-Known Member

I still live with them. My father is absent (in average) one week a month nowadays though, he travel abroad in work.
  14. KittyGirl

KittyGirl Well-Known Member

I'm living with my mom right now. When I moved out for college, I would see her a couple of weekends a month-- only because her boyfriend lived down the street from my apartment.
    I see my dad 2-3 times a year. I saw him every other weekend as a kid- because that was the way custody worked out; and he worked nightshifts at a metalworking plant- so he was always soooo tired when we would be at his place. Sleep most of the day while my sister and I played videogames or went to the local pool- then he would take us out to eat and to a movie before he had to go to work.

He expressed to me last year- how much it hurt him to have us taken away from him. He can't come to see us often anymore because he's a hermit and has very little money from his work pension. It's sad, yes-- but my sister and I always got along better with dad... so when we are together there's no arguing- like there is with mom; only laughing.
    I'm sure I'll regret not spending more time with him when I get a bit older... but I was always trying to focus on my own life-- like he wanted me to.

mom is kinda clingy. she still cries when I go to the city for a few days. -__-
  15. gakky1

gakky1 Well-Known Member

Haven't seen them for almost 20 years, moved far, far away because I'm just so ashamed of the person I became, now it's so much worse the shame I feel about my entire life, I know I can never see another family member again.:eek:hmy:
  16. plates

plates Well-Known Member

I 'interact' with my mother nearly every day
    Mainly i'm just here for her to unload on to. Sometimes it goes the other way and it feels good when i tell her to just hear me out and be quiet.
  17. wastedmylife

wastedmylife Well-Known Member

at this point maybe twice a year, saw my mother for the first time in august in almost 3 years

been back once since then

she will be dead soon, next time I go back will probably be to bury her or to visit her after my dad tells me she is getting worse
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.