how often do you see your therapist?

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by foreverforgotten, Feb 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. foreverforgotten

foreverforgotten Well-Known Member

How often is it usually? Every week? Few times a month?
    Just wondering what the norm was. mine has me going every week.
    I was thinking that was a bit weird?
  2. Domo

Domo Well-Known Member

It depends how i am doing.

I was seeing mine weekly but i am feeling pretty stable right now and have been going fortnightly.
  3. Hi, it's not weird at all to see your therapist once a week. You are actually really lucky. It means you only have to make it 6/7 days on your own, you know there is someone you can talk to very soon. Mine was sick the last time I went and they 'forgot' to phone me. So I went through my usual forcing myself to get into town and into the clinic, only to be told "Oh, sorry, we missed phoning you. She's sick today." It was horrible, I really needed to see her, feeling very suicidal. That was the 25th of Jan. and haven't seen her since. When she finally did get hold of me she was too booked to see me until the 22nd of this month. That's how I found this forum. I couldn't bear to handle my feelings on my own anymore.
    Sorry, I didn't mean to vomit words all over you. I just meant to reassure you that it is definitely NOT weird to see your therapist once a week.
  4. absolution

absolution Forum Buddy

Yeah, like bec said, it really does depend on how I'm doing. Like I will show up weekly and if she notices somethings off or I have a particularly rough session she will book me for another session that same week. So sometimes twice a week for me :)
  5. IV2010

IV2010 Well-Known Member

mines been weekly for over a year now because of the trauma I suffered and the fact that I'm suicidal so much..
    she's started to 'let me down' a lot this year because she's now an administrator..not good..
    so glad you have that support..
  6. ZombiePringle

ZombiePringle Forum Buddy and Antiquities Friend

It's been well over a year since I've gone...
  7. pooky

pooky Forum Buddy

I haven't seen him for over one and a half yrs. He is in London for most of the year
  8. dazzle11215

dazzle11215 Staff Alumni

i go twice a week, every week without fail. mondays and thursdays. she's really helping me. glad i can see her so often.
  9. HopeIsHere

HopeIsHere Member

It's been on and off for me... it really depends on the therapist and how I'm going. Like when I saw my first therapist, I really didn't click with her so I would go once every month. Then I finally got sick of her and found a fantastic therapist (who I have been seeing for two years now) and I see them once a week for about a 2 hour session. It's great having that support, because it's something I need.
  10. Ravenwing

Ravenwing Well-Known Member

It's varied for me. I usually see mine about once every month or two. It can be hard for me when I know I won't be seeing anyone for that long but I guess I don't have options. <shrug>
  11. Stormrider

Stormrider Well-Known Member

Never been to one. I think talking on this forum is the closest thing i ever come to some kind of therapy.
    I don't think a therapist can help me to solve my problems.
    So i wouldn't know what a "normal" ammount of visits on a week, month or year could be.

If a therapist really helps you then go as many times as you or the therapist thinks is needed. The important thing is that you feel better :smile:
  12. Madam Mim

Madam Mim Well-Known Member

I go once a week, and have been for a year and a half. As much as I hate to admit it, I can't cope when I have to miss a week because he's away or something.

13. lachrymose27

lachrymose27 Well-Known Member

once a week although i feel i need to see him'her everyday
  14. Avarice

Avarice Well-Known Member

I see my CBT therapist once a fortnight. He wanted me to go weekly but it'd have been too much for me, so we settled on fortnightly. I don't have a regular therapist, though sometimes wish I did.
  15. Flying Fox

Flying Fox Well-Known Member

Once a week, when used to see my therapist. We haven't seen each other since November, 2009. After I returned from the hospital after my suicide attempt she had me come twice a week. Later when the rehab, school and trips to rehab took up a huge portion of my time, I manage to have it switched to one.
  16. foreverforgotten

foreverforgotten Well-Known Member

Okay :3 thankxs guys for your input. It helps me
    Understand better. It was sort of a curiosity thing. Maybe
    I shouldve made a poll thing instead. :D
  17. revoltra

revoltra Well-Known Member

I've only started seing mine last week, so my next session is next week. Then we are gonna go more trough it and talk about maybe weekly visits. But basically it usually either once a week or every other week.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.