How often is it safe to be drunk?

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by Lyse, Feb 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lyse

Lyse Guest

I'm probably going to start drinking so I'd like to know how often it's safe to be drunk enough to barely being able to walk, without getting addicted. I might have to mention that my father is an alcoholic, my grandfather of my father's side was one, and my grandfather of my mother's side has been. Not very good odds for me to avoid becoming one. What are the signs that I should watch out for so that I don't become one?

If a moderator thinks this thread is inappropriate, remember that if you censor it I will just start drinking without knowing what to watch out for, meaning I most likely would end up an alcoholic.
  2. SadPandaBear

SadPandaBear Well-Known Member

I dont think anyone has any answer to that... I dont know why you want to start at all.

I drink way too much and its not fun. I feel terrible most of the time, dehydrated, exhausted, un motivated, cranky.... etc.

Alcohol is a depressant as well, at first it might make you giddy, but it wont take long before it starts to make you feel like absolute garbage, and, can be responsible for causing other self destructive actions you normally might not do if you were sober.

I know because its happend to me. Every morning I wake up, I wish I never drank the night before. Not to mention that a history of alcohol addition in your family....wont help.
  3. challis

challis New Member

get as drunk as you like,its something i,ve been through,and unfortunatly the high is short lived,the low seems longer.if only we could stay high and not come down,unfortunatly being drunk only gives you a headache mostly.try another drug-s
  4. Lyse

Lyse Guest

I want to drink in order to sleep as much as possible... not in order to be happy. Nothing could make me giddy or happy, anymore. Bet not even ecstasy.
  5. SadPandaBear

SadPandaBear Well-Known Member

if you want to sleep, alcohol is the last thing you should use.

Try some herbal teas, take a nice long hot bath or shower before bed, turn off tv, or play some relaxing music.

Tryin takin melatonin daily, get some sunshine during the day to help your body transition into its proper rotation.

There is never a reason to start drinking. I think you especially know that. Why are you trying to start such a self destructing behaviour? If you're worried, then you probably have a right to worry, and should look for a better alternative.
  6. Lyse

Lyse Guest

I want to start because I can't see me having any choice. I disagree that you sleep poorly if you drink; true, your sleep may be less effective, but I don't have a job I need to go to, anyway, and the point isn't to sleep well but to be awake as little as possible. The reason why I don't have a choice is because it's over with the girl I thought was my true love; she broke up with me despite allegedly still deeply loving me, because she suddenly ended up wanting to join the navy after her horribly abusive father and a recruiter during one evening convinced her to do it. I couldn't accept her joining so she broke up with me. There was nothing I could do about the situation, either; she lives in the US and I in Sweden. I was going to travel there but by the time I realized I absolutely had to come there to get sense into her head, it was too late. People would say that I can find someone like her, again, but I am far too weird to even dream of doing it. I'm not just saying this; I really am. In a good way, of course; everybody should be like me - although of course, if everybody were I wouldn't be unique, anymore. But anyway.... due to these reasons I need to either end my life now or drug myself to sleep until I get enough courage to do it.

From total hopelessness to such happiness, motivation and optimism, and then to this. Haha, life really can stab you in the back.
  7. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

Well, as someone who's recently descended into alcoholism, I will state that you will NOT be awake more often. You can get to sleep real easy, but you'll wake up much earlier than if you hadn't drank.

How often is it safe to drink, though? Dunno. I think NEVER would be good for me, but someone in a healthier emotional state could probably do it more often.
  8. Issaccs

Issaccs Well-Known Member

Drink does not help me sleep at all.
    The feeling of weightlessness plus the tingling in my body keeps me awake, its the last thing I'd recommend.
  9. Lyse

Lyse Guest

God I wish I was dead. :sad:
  10. jameslyons

jameslyons Well-Known Member

As a pretty comfortable drinker.... And by comfortable I mean several cocktails through out the day..followed by some cocktails at night, I can assure you that alcohol creates insomnia. Going to sleep is no problem, but getting more than 5-6 hours is rare.

Also, you pancreas will start to hurt, you'll develop kidney pain and orange pee, but you'll cure any prostitis you have. Alcoholism is a serious problem and you should probably not drink enough that you become concerned about alcoholism.

1. oz liquor an hour
    1 8 oz beer
    1 glass of wine an hour

-- normal drinking habit. Stay safe.

11. xpsyuvz

xpsyuvz Active Member

A doctor (viewing statistics) would probably suggest only 1-2 drinks per day. (Probably, not enough for what you want, though.)
    It takes about 1 hour for a liver to digest 1 oz of 40%/80 proof vodka. (I estimate 2 hours per 1.4 oz shot.)

For me, my within 24 hour measurements are:
    2 drinks: Safe.
    3-7 drinks: Fun, but unhealthy.
    8-10 drinks: Bleh, overboard,
    +10 drinks: Too much. (I.e. Make false promises about never drinking ever again.)

Daily drinking in general is probably a bad sign.
    (Maybe: Let go of relationships and ideas of sleep? Get ready for alcohol ruling a lot of your lifeā€¦ Or maybe: withdraw from drinking back towards semblances of your previous miserable life -- if you still have the chance. -- Just a thought.)

Good luck, either way.
  12. HOW

HOW Well-Known Member

It's a good idea to drink one day (not too much) and drink nothing the next day so that your body can recover. Drinking everyday is a bad idea. I've done it for a long time but stopped now.
  13. wheresmysheep

wheresmysheep Staff Alumni

if you want to sleep, get some sleeping tablets. alcohol doesnt make you sleep. you say you dont want to get addicted to it, but you will if you are using it to put yourself asleep. thats called dependancy and is one of the main stages of addiction. there is no "safe" amount od times to be drunk a day/week. what your ensentially doing is binging untill you pass out.

if you hvae the money for that amount of drink, then use it to see a doctor and get help and or sleeping tablets.
    if no get the herbal over the counter type. they might help you.

alcohol is not a wonder juice.
  14. noPoint

noPoint Well-Known Member

If you get the feeling of 'needing' or 'wanting' a drink to get you through the day, you have a problem.
  15. Lyse

Lyse Guest

It's worked really well to make me fall asleep, before.

Ugh doctors can't help me. Sleeping pills don't work; I've used them before. Alcohol definitely is more effective.

I don't know what alternative I have other than start drinking. My life has become beyond miserable. At the same time I know what it's done to my father. He's not a heavy drinker but it's pretty bad.

...Unless there's some illegal or "should be" illegal drug I could use, that is easy to get ahold of and that is better for sleep? Not too dangerous, though. I used to think I would never even once use illegal drugs, as that would help the mafia or gangs, but my situation is nothing of what it has ever been, before. Maybe someone who is well-informed could help me with this. PM me or e-mail me in that case... thanks in advance.

...Unless there are much, much better, legal sleeping pills that aren't handed over that often?
  16. xpsyuvz

xpsyuvz Active Member

Similarly: my head/body does not do well with other sleep depressants (e.g. Benadryl/diphenhydramine or even Ambien.)

But after 3-4 years of drinking, I'm addicted to it and I still have a sleeping problem.

I'm kind of getting used to sleep deprivation... (Maybe consider going a few days without sleep as a healthier alternative?)

I don't know.
    Good luck, though.
  17. shades

shades Staff Alumni

sounds like you answered the question with you posting. if there are several members of your family that are alcoholics, you most likely will become one, probably quite quickly. I've read enough studies on genetic links to alcoholism to know that this is true. so dont start!
  18. Lyse

Lyse Guest

Ugh, nevermind about the illegal drugs question... it's NOT bad enough to resort to indirectly starting to give the mafia or criminal gangs money. What was I thinking.

I do need to sleep A LOT, though... if there are legal alternatives other than alcohol, I would really like to know what.

I guess it's true that alcohol leads to insomnia in the long run... my father sleeps very poorly. Maybe it's okay if I'm careful, though... I need to sleep. -_-
  19. soliloquise

soliloquise Well-Known Member

hi lyse

do you have depression? if so that can affect sleep badly and it may be far more useful to treat the cause of the insomnia.. have you seen a dr?
  20. Lyse

Lyse Guest

Yes I do, but no doctor could fix what my ex-girlfriend did or make me find my actual true love.

And some doctor wants to meet me in a couple weeks. -_- I'll just act well enough not to be committed and unwell enough not to lose the disability I get.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.