How old were you when your ED first started?

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by stuckinchicago6, Jan 6, 2010.

?

How old were you when ED started?

1. Under 18

26 vote(s)
    86.7%
  2. Over 18

4 vote(s)
    13.3%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stuckinchicago6

stuckinchicago6 Well-Known Member

I must have been about 8 or 9 years old when I first started throwing up. I always knew my dad was bulimic. My mom used to tell me about it that he would throw up his food after he ate. I was really chubby around that age. One night, my aunt was in town on a business trip. There were tons of food platters in the hotel she was staying at. I binged and then I purged. I have never really eaten so much that I threw up automatically. I always make myself throw up. I am 21 now... Sometimes, I will be pretty good for a year. Since I was about 18, I have really calmed down. This past month has been really bad again. I am pretty much throwing up after almost every meal.

2. Little_me

Little_me Well-Known Member

I got bulimia at 11, later I turned into an anorexic at 12-13.... I haven't purged successfully in 7 years. I'm both glad and not glad for that...

Don't, don't purge. You'll lose your teeth... My teeth has been damaged by the starvation (body produces acid), but bulimia is surely 10x worse.

Have you ever considered seeking help? Please do! Because there is help :hug: CBT, DBT and other psychotherapy forms
    Ive improved myself a lot since last year

3. Gem_Gem

Gem_Gem Well-Known Member

Mine started when I was 13. I moved countries and moved schools and where I moved too everyone seemed so skinny and it just went from there. I became Anorexic. It's never gone away, there have been times when it's been a lot worse and I have ended up in hospital but I still only eat half meal a day. My psychiatrist did think I was bulimic for a while but I think it was just part of the Anorexia getting worse.

It goes up and down like at the moment it's really bad and I have lost a lot of weight. But sometimes it can be stable. :)

I really urge you to get help now. Before it gets out of hand and you end up in hospital.

4. nagisa

nagisa Chat & Forum Buddy Staff Alumni

I was 12 when I was extreme dieting, 13 I developed anorexia.

5. liam

liam Member

My memory is really lacking right now but I believe my anorexia began when I was around 12 years old. Altough I've found diaries referring to symptoms even way back from then, but as I said I can't remember clearly. However I was constantly taking walks for hours eating just maybe a slice of bread per day, having a kind of "competition" with a friend who was the thinnest one - I was always the skinniest one of us and today she's about the size of a house while I still haven't had a weight of 110 lbs or more in my whole life. lol

6. KittyGirl

KittyGirl Well-Known Member

I never thought I was doing it on purpose; but by convincing myself mentally that I was never good enough- I started to physically react and purge daily around the time that I hit puberty...
    I was a fairly late bloomer though, so I'll say 14.

I never realized it was really a problem until a couple of months ago- dealing with my agoraphobia and this breakup; I've realized that it is a problem... and I should've noticed it and gotten help a long time ago.

7. dreaminghome

dreaminghome Well-Known Member

I was 7 when it started, binge eating disorder.
    It lasted till I was 19, then I became anorexic.
    Then at 21 I became bulimic.
    At 23 I dare to call myself recovered.

8. Lost.

Lost. Well-Known Member

Became anorexic.

9. Izziebabystar

Izziebabystar Well-Known Member

cant remember exactly when i started with my ed
    but it was ages ago
    been struggling with it for years
    i go fom anorexic
    to bulemic
    to stuffing my face :/

10. savetoniqht

savetoniqht Well-Known Member

Very young :/ my mother always had me on diets and I honestly csn't distinguish exactly when it started, but I was definitely young.

11. Remedy

Remedy Chat & Forum Buddy

Diagnosed at 13.

12. Mordeci

Mordeci Banned Member

diagnosed at 22 had it since about 12

13. AEdle

AEdle Well-Known Member

I was 15 and 6 months .

Problems started at 13 :wink:

14. plates

plates Well-Known Member

eleven was when i started being actively anorexic, but it was dormant ever since infancy. i've had issues with food, love, relationships ever since i was born. i've rejected food because the people around me was feeding me poisonous love and abuse.

15. When I was 12 I was anorectic, by the age of 16, bulimic. Gained a lot of weight. Then lost over 30% of my body weight really fast. Anorectic again - although not by traditional-below-BMI-of-17.5 standard. Now EDNOS.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.