How old where you

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by Fishman, Apr 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fishman

Fishman Guest

How old where you when you first started feeling this way and how long have you been suicidal or depressed or both? Its just out of interest.
  2. nagisa

nagisa Chat & Forum Buddy Staff Alumni

I've been depressed for as long as I can remember. I first started thinking of suicide when I was seven. I used to go into the kitchen and hold knives up to me and pray to God to let me die.
  3. resistance

resistance Staff Alumni

Started when I was 13.
  4. I distinctly remember (though I don't especially like to) when I was around 14-15 years old, being unable to stop crying hiding in my closet - torn completely in two over the notions to keep on living with my torment, or to commit suicide. And no, I don't think it was "just hormones" - but a very real and terrible emotional, psychological, as well as spiritual crisis/dilemma. These times/moments haven't been 'constant' in my life, but I have encountered them since...

(and I cannot fathom what it's like for those to have had them even earlier!)
  5. Sa Palomera

Sa Palomera Well-Known Member

I think I started feeling low and at times even suicidal when I was about 12. It came in periods though.
    In 2004 it became bad enough to influence my entire life (school , friends, behaviour, etc) and it stayed like that with constant wish of death, and an occasional (be it serious or not too serious) attempt until the last half of 2007. Now I'm getting better :smile:
  6. David

David Active Member

I believe it started for me at 15. I tried hanging myself then, but couldn't finish it. It was the first of my attempts.
  7. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

I first started feeling depressed with I was 14, I'm now 19 and still feel the same, well probably worse now although I haven't attempted suicide since I was 14, I am trying to hold on for as long as possible but I always have a plan if things get too bad.
  8. I'm 14 now,It started this year.
  9. beauutyy

beauutyy Well-Known Member

im going to have to say,i started feeling really depressed around 5th or 6th grade.i used to get bullied real bad,and i had a older,abusive boyfriend. and i my family treats me bad. i mean, i had to be ehh, 12 or 13? im 18 now,its not as bad as it used to be though.
  10. I-Died-In-My-Dream

I-Died-In-My-Dream Well-Known Member

Started considering suicide when I was 12. The feelings of depression started when I was 11. I'm 15 now, turning 16 at the end of may, which means it's been 5 years.
  11. carol2237

carol2237 Guest

I have been depressed as long as i can remember, and suicdal for the past 3 years.

12. touglytobeloved

touglytobeloved Well-Known Member

I really cant answer this question. Its strange, but i dont remember. I was depressed sometimes since I was a child, but i think of that more like a periods that anyone have. But last couple of years.... Especially last few months, I think 24/7 about suicide.
  13. InMyWay

InMyWay Active Member

Started at about age 12-13. Will be 23 Friday and it hasn't gotten better overall (there were periods though when life did get better).
  14. dazzle11215

dazzle11215 Staff Alumni

i first thought of suicide when i was 12, i'm 42 now... so that makes 30 years of this... god, that's a long time. i've had many great times, and occasionally some very low times. there have been times, like the last 6 months, when i thought of suicide 24/7 but there have been years at a time when i didn't want to die, when it never entered my mind. when i am experiencing change, stress, or grief it flairs up. i'm hoping that what i've learned this time around will save me such sadness going forward, but who knows....
  15. The_Discarded

The_Discarded Staff Alumni

11. I'd had my moments even before then, but they weren't understood enough to be considered.

I finally comprehended its worst at 13.
  16. Fishman

Fishman Guest

For me when I was 16, I was so stressed out nearly getting hit by a car then the anxiety followed by depression started and I couldn't figure out what the hell was wrong. I am 24 now...
  17. Aluroth

Aluroth New Member

I can't even remember the last time I was happy. I'd say that I started getting depressed around 7th grade and was suicidal by 9th. I'm in 11th grade now and I think about killing myself every day. I don't even leave the house anymore except for school and I have no friends.:sad:
  18. SadDude87

SadDude87 Well-Known Member

The underlying symptoms have been present since childhood.

Things took a turn for the worse at 16, I was moderatly depressed but far from suicidal.

Suicidal feelings at 19. 20 now.
  19. puckers

puckers New Member

I started to self mutilate in 8th grade. I attempted suicide in 10th grade. I still feel depressed as a freshman in college.
  20. pit

pit Well-Known Member

10 is when I felt acutely disturbed, but not suicidal. I walked around with intense homicidal/suicidal feelings.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.