How people can believe in god?

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by Hurted, Mar 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hurted

Hurted Well-Known Member

Well... I dont know much about religion, so people who are wiser than me, please answer...

There are children dying every minute. Every 10 seconds someone commit suicide, because of severe suffering. Every day millions of young people dyes... Every day millions of people suffer...
    If god exist, why would he allow this? And doesnt people beleive that god is perfect? Well he created one really f****d up world...

Church lies... They say one thing and doing others... If you beleive in god, do you support church? Thats what I would really like to know:)

Thanks for all answers:)

2. Ziggy

Ziggy Antiquitie's Friend

Re: How people can beleive in god?

Well I wouldn't claim to be wiser than you - I've got no real answers either, but anyway here are some of my thoughts on the subject...

People often class emotions as good or bad, happiness is 'good', 'pain' is bad. But 'bad' emotions are needed, if you put your hand in boiling water, you need to feel pain so that you remove it. It's to help with your own survival, 'bad' emotions are needed and we can't do without them. This leads to unfortunate consequences though. Hunger is essential and 'good' in that in makes us eat, but one unfortunate consequence is that people starve painfully.

The problem with life is one of fairness, if an evil dictator dies, then that's a good thing, but if an innocent child dies then that's completely different. Humans need to die, for population control and to eliminate your evil dictators, however although death is essential, it just seems unfair most of the time.

Why is life unfair? Why is there no justice? Why does evil prosper and good people suffer?

I think many religions attempt to answer this question, some would say that there is ultimately justice, God will decide how you will live in the afterlife, or Karma will determine your fate in the next based on previous choices made.

I think as to why life is unfair many would argue about freewill. However I think God should personally intervene in the world's affairs. If people are starving maybe He should feed them, if there's global warming maybe He should provide some cooling? I think in the end the problems in life are down to people like you and me to tackle, It's not about asking why there is suffering, but asking what we're going to do about it.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 18, 2008
  3. dayna

dayna Anitiquities Friend

Its been said,
    God helps those who help themselves

Don't understand people who always want to point a finger or try to justify something by blaming someone else.

4. theleastofthese

theleastofthese SF Friend Staff Alumni

my opinion is that God didn't make a fucked up world, He made a perfectly lovely world - WE fucked it up.

just my two cents...

5. Sylar

Sylar Well-Known Member

well all I can say is .. Good luck waiting for god to help you

I used to be a very strong believer , religious and I thought I was right till I went under some circumstances that made me discover that it's all bullshit
    and I didn't leave it because I was sad and god didn't help me I did my own researches which led me to find out that religion is created to manipulate people using fear "hell" "wrath of god" "sacrifices for god"
    if he could do something he would've done it but we didn't see shit

anyway if there's a creator for this universe then I Highly doubt it's the blood thirsty asshole religion is talking about
    he even forsaken his son ffs

6. Random

Random Well-Known Member

I think some people believe in God because they have to. They need to because the alternative is too frightening for them to contemplate.

I wouldn't say that's the only reason for all people though. People have many reasons for the things they do and the things they think and believe.

I have, at times, made fun of religious people. I still do tend to get a bit snappy with some of them if they get too pushy. But I realize that if their religion can make them happy, why should I stand in their way? I wish all it took to make me happy was believing in something.

As far as all the rationalization? Well, you can say whatever you want. A person who believes something strongly enough will believe it regardless of any evidence to the contrary.

7. jonstark

jonstark Well-Known Member

A friend of mine said if not believing in God means accepting that life is absurd and there is no meaning, then he'd rather believe in God.
    To each his own. Imo my friend's reasoning is dishonest. Camus calls such a belief in God "philosophical suicide".
    Myself, I'll settle for absurdity and plain old physical suicide.

8. trux

trux Well-Known Member

That's what I was about to say, except you said it in a better way than I was going to...I suck at expressing what's on my mind

9. anonymous51

anonymous51 Staff Alumni

Its kind of stupid, but i have a theory on how God works. What if instead of judging people equally, maybe he uses different levels to tests peoples strength agains evil and corruption. Spoilt rich people are tempted with wealth and power, they dont need to accept a sinful life, but they do and God knows that these people are bad people at heart. People with stronger souls are given much harder tests of will to see if they will break, like those living with disabilities or in poverty. God might know that these souls are good people but must test them to see if they are truly good before he can judge them. But greedy selfish people are given masses of treasures and good fortune to see if it will lure them from an honest path.

Then again, im no philosopher, its probably a load of rubbish.

10. Ziggy

Ziggy Antiquitie's Friend

Here's my latest theory on life, the universe, God and the nature of existence...

Some people are lucky. Other people aren't.

11. Cursed Angel

Cursed Angel Active Member

Exactly, a lot of people want 2 just blame God, but instead of being brave and responsible enough 2 fight against the Devil, they just sit back and blame God.

12. Cursed Angel

Well, God knew that u would stop believing in him in the future, so really I can't blame God for allowing u 2 have a miserable life.

13. Cursed Angel

Hey, that's an interesting view, maybe there is some truth in what u just said.

14. Bigman2232

Bigman2232 Well-Known Member

And I won't blame anyone who wants to kick your self righteous ass because "Thank God" they have the free will to choose to.

15. Entoloma43

Entoloma43 Well-Known Member

Last time I checked, the Christian doctrine states God is omnipotent, and is the creator of everything, not the devil. That's why people blame God.

Wow, you're a complete asshole. Don't even post at all if you're going to say stuff like this.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 20, 2008
  16. pit

pit Well-Known Member

LOL! I just pictured God with a large fan, cooling people off. LOL! I also imagined God with a large spoon, feeding lotsa people.

17. trux

trux Well-Known Member

I am speechless, you can't possibly be that dumb :huh:

18. BOLIAO

BOLIAO Guest

he's probably very young.

19. bleach

bleach Well-Known Member

If you believe in God, then you must also believe that he created the devil, and any other conditions that led people to feel bitterness and lack of faith towards him.

What a ridiculous charade it is!.. God created the entire world, created the situations that will drive certain people to hate or disbelieve in Him, then judges those people harshly for it. It's insane. How can you rig the game against certain players, then still claim moral superiority?

20. bleach

bleach Well-Known Member

Haha, a perfect theory. I always hear scientists say that the most comprehensive theories are the simplest ones.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.