How seriously do you take your dreams?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dandelion s

RAW, well done
SF Supporter
One of the strangest dreams I had was wandering about through forests and over hills, feeling lost and exhausted, not knowing where I was going or what I was looking for. Then I stumbled across my house and as soon as I opened the door and stepped inside I woke up in my bed!
i have been in many crumbling building dreams and no way out buildings. these do seem to correspond to my “awaking” about myself lately - discovering that there is a way out.

Lara_C

Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
i have been in many crumbling building dreams and no way out buildings. these do seem to correspond to my “awaking” about myself lately - discovering that there is a way out.
That dream I mentioned where I was wandering about lost, not knowing what I was looking for, I took to mean that I was already 'home', just not aware of it, and didn't have to wander around searching for something I already had right here and now!

dandelion s

RAW, well done
SF Supporter
That dream I mentioned where I was wandering about lost, not knowing what I was looking for, I took to mean that I was already 'home', just not aware of it, and didn't have to wander around searching for something I already had right here and now!
the wizard of oz touches on that (at least in the movie). do you see any similarities? there is the point that “there’s no place like home” but then it also more importantly points out that a person may be searching for something that they already have if only they take a deeper look inside. does this make sense? personally i’d throw the no place like home concept out the window though. its something completely different....

Lara_C

Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
it also more importantly points out that a person may be searching for something that they already have if only they take a deeper look inside. does this make sense? personally i’d throw the no place like home concept out the window though. its something completely different....
It makes a lot of sense to me in that 'home' symbolises comfort, contentment, a safe haven etc

Dante

Git
SF Pro
SF Supporter
Firstly, and I'm sure I've commented on this before, I'm continually surprised at the number of people here who know about lucid dreaming. If I were to try to talk about it with literally every person I know in real life, there's only one who I think would even know what it is. Most would just look at me like I'm crazy.

This is my issue, in recent years I've become quite good at becoming lucid (lots of depression naps means lots of opportunities to practice, and that kind of relatively short interrupted sleep is the kind where it's easiest to achieve lucidity), but I can never seem to take any kind of control without waking myself up. Even so much as trying to move my dream-body will end it. I can only quietly observe. The most control I have is over what aspects of the dream I pay attention to which can affect the directions the dream goes in. Even then, there are limits, like I've even had dream characters forcefully redirect my attention to certain things like there was some predetermined set of directions for the dream to go into that I couldn't deviate from and if I tried too hard to go my own way, I'd just wake up.
In each lucid dream for me, the dream stopped, like someone hit pause, I had no control over my surroundings, but I had complete control over my body, no flying or strange crap, but it was like my waking body was there in my dream, I was in control when chatting with my friend, my conscious mind.

Walker

Admin
SF Social Media
SF Author
SF Supporter
Don't care one bit about my dreams. They don't mean anything at all. Sometimes brain is working things out in them but I'm not putting any real thought into something they might "mean".

Dots

Misknown Member
imagine using google translate on a page of text, from English to Chinese and back to English, that's kinda whats going on.
I really like this explanation.

It was like someone else popped in and put the dream on pause to say hi. I was convinced before, but now I just kind of hope that it was really my friend saying hello from... well, you know.
I had a similar dream about a recently deceased person. It was a lucid dream, though I don't think the dream stopped. It just felt very real. In the dream I had woken from a nap and everything looked and felt the same as reality, except he was there and we spoke. He wasn't corporeal, but transparent. That's how I knew it was a dream. Well and the fact that he was supposed to be dead.

nd naturally form a single negative emotion so powerful that it stuck with me for the rest of the day.
This has happened to me quite a few times and I hate the feeling. The emotions generally stick with me for a few days and to me, they don't make sense.

I don't understand how I could dream something so negative, angry,... evil really and at random. Nothing provoked them at the time. A lot of my dreams seem unprovoked I guess. Sometimes it seems like my subconscious is processing emotions, images, and ideas from months ago. And sometimes it seems like they're processing nothing I've experienced making it harder to understand. The unreliability of it all makes me question of the existence of dreams.

something to be used as a diagnostic tool for your own problems, or a way of gauging your mental state.
I agree with this despite the randomness and have read that your subconscious can also try to warn you of a physical illness. This I think I have experienced in the sense it knows where my pain is. For example, I get splitting headaches and I've dreamed about a knife in my head where the pain was. It stayed there all through the dream. Not sure how much scientific basis there is for this, but then the brain is still very mysterious.

Dots

Misknown Member
I think they are sometimes made in part by events that occurred during the day or recently and were left dangling. Then when asleep you return to that thought but since there is no new information you speculate or embellish etc
To me this makes a lot of sense. Perhaps your mind is trying to finish it for you?

Sometimes a dream could be just a scattering of many small incomplete thoughts and impulses that do not really make much sense
Yeah. I think dreams can just be just thought garbage. Like thoughts you discarded as weird, stressful or unuseful. According to google the average person has 12,000 to 60,000 thoughts a day which is a very broad range..

But somehow I often suspect I'm a spirit in my present body and some of my dreams are made from remnants of experiences while existing on other planets. Like weird animals and plants and situations. Who knows? Why not?
Yes, why not? So much of existence, our brains, and the universe is still unknown.

If interested I can find it and post a link.
Please do share. I enjoy talking about dreams :)

Thanks for indulging me

MisterBGone

ReaLemon
SF Supporter
I often dream of people I’ve lost out of my life—namely: “friends.” And in any case, one or two in particular seem to have left permanent scars, as I can never seem to have a good outcome with any of them. They aren’t always bad - but the vibe, is very much not how I’d always imagined (or hoped) it would be. Usually they’re just there... static, almost transparent perhaps, in the sense that I’m the one doing all the action. But no matter the setting, or what else is going on around us, it never leads to a satisfying conclusion (in other words, I don’t get to converse, or talk with them). I suppose, I part too, this has to do with usually the other person terminating the relationship (friendship). So, to them - or for them. It is done. Deader than a door... / but to me; it still lives on (you see?). I’d say it never ends, but given that most of these happened a very long time ago, they don’t occur nearly as often or as frequently as they once did.
I haven’t kept up with the latest advancements in the field (of study - “dream work,” or what ever it’d even be called?) . . . But I believe what I’d always heard in the past is still probably true. In that, if you want to remember them, with any degree of accuracy, it is best to keep some sort of recording device (paper, tape recorder - today phone, I’d suppose. . .) so that the instant you wake up, you can have a record of what is fresh in your mind. Apparently, you forget quite a bit the moment or second you return to sleep..;)

MisterBGone

ReaLemon
SF Supporter
Have you heard the Pear Jam song, @the.end.ish ? (“Better Man?”) :D ...she lies & says she still loved him — can’t find a better man 👨! She dreams in colors, she dreams in red. . . Can’t find a better man; she lies & says she still loved him, can’t find a better man 👨—. (= oOoOoOoOo..;) aAaAa.!:D whOOo! 🙌

Dante

Git
SF Pro
SF Supporter
they seemed to be tailor made to guidedly and naturally form a single negative emotion so powerful that it stuck with me for the rest of the day. Depression, Loss and pure murderous Hatred are the ones I remember.
This has happened to me quite a few times and I hate the feeling. The emotions generally stick with me for a few days and to me, they don't make sense.

I don't understand how I could dream something so negative, angry,... evil really and at random. Nothing provoked them at the time. A lot of my dreams seem unprovoked I guess. Sometimes it seems like my subconscious is processing emotions, images, and ideas from months ago. And sometimes it seems like they're processing nothing I've experienced making it harder to understand. The unreliability of it all makes me question of the existence of dreams.
Just to confirm, you didnt feel the emotion from the dream, but the emotion formed naturally because of the dream?

Depression: My dream started with me getting up, I had a fairly normal and boring start to a day and then things started going wrong, things escalated and got worse and worse, and the weird part was just how detailed it was, i didnt skip any time that I noticed, i experienced a whole damned day that just got so bad towards the end that I killed myself, waking myself up, but because I had experienced a whole day so bad I had decided to kill myself, because I had the memories of the whole wretched day, that feeling persisted as if I had actually had the day.

Loss: This one sucked, I had a dream where I had a beautiful girlfriend, a wonderful life, I was happy and content in a way I have never felt before in my whole life, I was complete, again the feelings didnt come with the dream, but from living the dream, I was just so happy. I have only felt content once in my life (outside of my dream) and that was the first time I got over depression, for about a week I felt content. This was better than that. It felt so real and I embraced it so completely that when it just suddenly ended and I woke up, i felt heartbroken, the dream still haunts me.

Hatred: Like depression this started like a normal day, but very quickly I got into an argument with my housemate Paulo, it was an argument I had been avoiding having so the feelings were real, and he just dismissed them so callously, that I escalated, and he escalated, and by the end of a day in this dream we were both battered and badly injured from our escalating attempts to break the other and trying with our last breaths to kill each other, I remember us both lying beaten on the floor of a warehouse and I dragged myself (too hurt to stand) over to where he was lying bleeding and starting strangling him, only when the light was leaving his eyes did I wake up. That hatred was something I hadnt felt before, I WANTED to kill him, i felt it so clearly in that dream, and I saw him less than 10 minutes after I woke and that feeling hadnt faded. I just had to remind myself it was a dream and leave quickly.

These dreams were orchestrated, like they were on purpose by a conscious mind, I generally dont remember my dreams, and the ones I do fade quickly, but these never left me, never faded, they stayed like real memories, if you had dreams like this too, then I suppose the human subconscious is more cruel than I thought, because I always thought (and hoped) that these dreams were some unique fluke of a creative depressed mind wanting to self destruct.

I agree with this despite the randomness and have read that your subconscious can also try to warn you of a physical illness. This I think I have experienced in the sense it knows where my pain is. For example, I get splitting headaches and I've dreamed about a knife in my head where the pain was. It stayed there all through the dream. Not sure how much scientific basis there is for this, but then the brain is still very mysterious.
My brother had exactly this, a forewarning of illness, he would get the same dream every time, he dreamt he was in a white room with many floating pillows which were all crinkly and he was trying to fluff them smooth, but they kept crinkling, and invariably, a day or two later he would get sick. Im not sure if he still gets the dream, but he definitely mentioned it a lot growing up.

Dante

Git
SF Pro
SF Supporter
Just to confirm, you didnt feel the emotion from the dream, but the emotion formed naturally because of the dream?

Depression: My dream started with me getting up, I had a fairly normal and boring start to a day and then things started going wrong, things escalated and got worse and worse, and the weird part was just how detailed it was, i didnt skip any time that I noticed, i experienced a whole damned day that just got so bad towards the end that I killed myself, waking myself up, but because I had experienced a whole day so bad I had decided to kill myself, because I had the memories of the whole wretched day, that feeling persisted as if I had actually had the day.

Loss: This one sucked, I had a dream where I had a beautiful girlfriend, a wonderful life, I was happy and content in a way I have never felt before in my whole life, I was complete, again the feelings didnt come with the dream, but from living the dream, I was just so happy. I have only felt content once in my life (outside of my dream) and that was the first time I got over depression, for about a week I felt content. This was better than that. It felt so real and I embraced it so completely that when it just suddenly ended and I woke up, i felt heartbroken, the dream still haunts me.

Hatred: Like depression this started like a normal day, but very quickly I got into an argument with my housemate Paulo, it was an argument I had been avoiding having so the feelings were real, and he just dismissed them so callously, that I escalated, and he escalated, and by the end of a day in this dream we were both battered and badly injured from our escalating attempts to break the other and trying with our last breaths to kill each other, I remember us both lying beaten on the floor of a warehouse and I dragged myself (too hurt to stand) over to where he was lying bleeding and starting strangling him, only when the light was leaving his eyes did I wake up. That hatred was something I hadnt felt before, I WANTED to kill him, i felt it so clearly in that dream, and I saw him less than 10 minutes after I woke and that feeling hadnt faded. I just had to remind myself it was a dream and leave quickly.

These dreams were orchestrated, like they were on purpose by a conscious mind, I generally dont remember my dreams, and the ones I do fade quickly, but these never left me, never faded, they stayed like real memories, if you had dreams like this too, then I suppose the human subconscious is more cruel than I thought, because I always thought (and hoped) that these dreams were some unique fluke of a creative depressed mind wanting to self destruct.

My brother had exactly this, a forewarning of illness, he would get the same dream every time, he dreamt he was in a white room with many floating pillows which were all crinkly and he was trying to fluff them smooth, but they kept crinkling, and invariably, a day or two later he would get sick. Im not sure if he still gets the dream, but he definitely mentioned it a lot growing up.
WOW I wish I could edit this, it screwed up all the quotes, now it makes no sense.

neutralbuoyancy

stuck in place yet again
let me give u a general answer, so my dreams sometimes i think im lucid dreaming since i can feel objects in my dreams talked to people and kind of "recognize" others and sometimes Remember what people in my dreams say so i believe they are at time the manifestation of some of my fears. since 99% of my dreams there is someone trying to kill me. but a lot of the times i believe its in a parallel universe since i depict a different "role" in each dream and no one them are similar to my real self. so the bottom line is i view them as a playing a "role" somewhere for a short amount of time and sometimes foreshadowing since i had a dream that i was forced to be a human test monkey for pandemic vaccine that failed i could still Remember the feeling at the end of the dream where i was bleeding out of the holes of my nose my mouth and ears all at once and my eyeballs rolled back into my head before everything went back and i woke up in my bed again

Dots

Misknown Member
I'm not really sure what the difference is here to be honest.... feeling the emotion from the dream and the emotion forming naturally because of the dream seem like the same thing?

I'm not sure how to describe it really. There have been times that I've had such dark.... dark dreams which caused very intense and disturbing emotions that lasted for me in reality. I wasn't dreaming the emotion if that's what you mean.

I can relate. I've had 2 dreams where I was loved by my soulmate (who was non-existent) and they were some of the most beautiful dreams but also... some of the most heartbreaking. I woke up physically aching, feeling like I lost something when it all went away. I've forgotten it by now. I only remember a piece of it and a piece of what he looked like.

I don't remember if I've ever had a dream where I was the killer but I have had dreams about killers trying to murder me and my family and I saw and felt everything emanating from them. I saw their minds and their wickedness and dreamed through their eyes and felt there was no escape. I could do very little. When I woke I was disturbed my mind could come up with something so awful. Wtf is wrong with me, you know?

then I suppose the human subconscious is more cruel than I thought, because I always thought (and hoped) that these dreams were some unique fluke of a creative depressed mind wanting to self destruct.
Yes, the human subconscious is cruel and I think especially to people with depression or other mental illnesses. We also tend to mistreat ourselves and maybe a healthier mind might aid in nicer dreams? (i've no idea if this is a thing). I just know when our circadian rhythms are out of whack, it can wreak all kinds of havoc. So if you have insomnia (i do) or eat late or have bad/weird sleeping habits. Constant pain. etc. this can all affect it.

Dots

Misknown Member
Have you heard the Pear Jam song, @the.end.ish ? (“Better Man?”) :D ...she lies & says she still loved him — can’t find a better man 👨! She dreams in colors, she dreams in red. . . Can’t find a better man; she lies & says she still loved him, can’t find a better man 👨—. (= oOoOoOoOo..;) aAaAa.!:D whOOo! 🙌
I have probably heard it but I'm not a big Pearl Jam fan. Please don't attack me. *hiding

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$70.00
Goal
$255.00