How should I act after I've done this?

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by PiecesMended, Oct 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PiecesMended

PiecesMended Well-Known Member

(my brother is gay so anyone with issues with this should not read any further)
    I hurt someone who insulted my brother today... here's the full story

Today during lunch at college I was sitting with a few friends and one of them asked me a question (I forget what.) It was something to do with hanging out with people and anyway the answer was "my brother and his boyfriend." The guy sitting next to me decided to call them "Faggots." At this point I was just about to eat an apple I'd just bought but when he said this I threw it really hard, at his head, without even thinking about it. I know you can knock someone out with one and I knew it hurt because he was rolling around on the floor in pain. I was shocked that I'd done this as I'm not violent unless someone is violent towards me. (I admit that I was a little proud of myself as I love my brother and his boyfriend very much.) I also said to the guy that I didn't think before I acted but that I wasn't sorry about it. He says that he didn't know that it was offensive but I'm not convinced that he's not just saying that now.

Well I have college tomorrow and I'm not sure how I'm supposed to act. Am I supposed to act like normal or what? I don't know what to do. (Everyone who was there says that I was in the right by the way, someone even had a go at him for saying it.)

2. Confusticated

Confusticated Well-Known Member

If he's a friend, he might have just been joking. Me and my friends do things like that all the time, of course, we all know the limits of each other so it works. He had no right to say what he said, but it is possible he didn't mean it offensively. I'm not saying you were wrong, or right, for what you did, and he should have thought before he spoke. If I were you, I'd go in again, and see his reaction. If he's acting fine around you, just act like nothing happened in return. If he really has a problem, he won't wanna talk to you anyway since your brother is gay. Most people are just like that, if homophobic. So feel the reaction, and act on it. If he avoids you, just leave him be. Be civil when you can, and see how things go. However if you don't want to talk to him, well the obvious thing to do would be to just leave him alone all together. However I think that might be a bit extreme just in case he was just joking around. (Sorry I may be presuming this is a he).

3. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

Apologise, not for reacting, which was right, but for overreacting, which wasn't.

If he says more shit in the future just ignore him.

4. MightyMatt

MightyMatt Well-Known Member

I wouldn't worry about it too much... I think you did the guy a favour and taught him a valuable lesson. I think too many people are careless with what they say nowadays and as a society we tend to just roll over and let them get away with. Plus it is kinda funny... even though I shouldn't laugh lol

5. Stranger1

Stranger1 Forum Buddy & Antiquities Friend

You had every right to defend your brother..Not everyone has a pea size brain as the guy you hit..Just go to school as normal and don't worry about it..He's the one who needs to apologise..Just take it one step at a time..

6. nolonger

nolonger Well-Known Member

Lol I found it funny. How random would it be to see someone get hit in the head with an apple? Especially if the person is a wanker :laugh:.

Good job :)

7. 1izombie

1izombie Well-Known Member

I would say just act normal and I bet he will think first before saying something like that in front of you again, least he get an apple to the head...

8. KittyGirl

KittyGirl Well-Known Member

Nah- I've done the same thing on a few occasions.
    Best thing for everyone is to try and let it go and act the way you normally would.

Some people say really stupid things.
    Usually after they say them though- they realize what they said was wrong and would rather it have not happened at all.

9. PiecesMended

PiecesMended Well-Known Member

Well thanks everyone! I just went in as normal and it got mentioned between friends and joked about. He kind of ignored me more than usual (I've known him a while and we have never got on) but by the end of the day we were on barely-speaking terms. Yes by the way it was very funny. The first reaction everyone else had at the time was to just laugh for about 10 mins because it was so random. :tongue:

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 20, 2010
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.