How should I go about this?

Discussion in 'Therapy and Medication' started by daredhead, Dec 19, 2008.

  1. daredhead

    daredhead Well-Known Member

    So, I'm seeing my new therapist again Monday, and I want to ask her how I should go about dealing with my dad when he goes off on one of his rants. The problem is, she is stubborn. Probably even more so than I am. If I directly ask her about him, she will most likely give me: "Don't let him get under your skin." I would really like to ask her to help me work it out, but I'm not sure how. Any advice?

    By the way, I really like this therapist, she really knows how to do her job, and I'm not afraid to talk to her, I just want to ask her how to deal with him without sounding like I want her to do something about him.
  2. snowraven

    snowraven Well-Known Member

    Tell your therapist how you actually feel when your Dad goes off on one of his rants. What effect this has on you and then ask her what she thinks is the best way to cope with these feelings. If she is any good at her job she should be able to give you better advice than simply to say don't let it get to you.Best of luck.
  3. daredhead

    daredhead Well-Known Member

    I talked to my therapist, basically bringing it up myself. She did notice how uncomfortable I was talking about him. She told him to lay off, and he hasn't really said much since. I don't know if it helped much.