how to ask for support

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by THEO, Aug 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. THEO

THEO Member

what do you say when you ask someone you know for emotional support without sounding like a nut job.
    I dont have a family I can talk to, and have never opened up to anyone but I need to talk to someone, I have SA and am scared to ask
  2. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

crisis team is a good place to talk Just have to say you need some support and would like to talkto someone they will help you get through they help me through some very tuff spots in my life they never judge either try it okay
  3. Axiom

Axiom Account Closed

Depends, Id try to give the other person something to relate to. Like talking about something else first but relating it to what I want to say. Sort of easing my way into the conversation but keeping the tone of it on the same level.

But for really serious things.. its best to find someone you can trust enough to talk to, and be direct about it. Violet has some good advice :)
  4. plates

plates Well-Known Member

Depends who it is you're thinking of asking, are they MH professionals and therapists...?

You could just say I need some support if it were those people. I know how you feel, I rang up some crisis line yesterday and felt like I didn't know what to say at first but it can take time for you to feel comfortable with anyone, especially if you're not used to talking about your feelings to strangers. And you dont' even have to go deep into it, you can talk about surface stuff which is what I did..
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.